It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do If This Happened To You: Shopping While Black

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The title reads-

"What Would You Do If This Happened To You: Shopping While Black (Social Experiment That Shows Racism Still Exists In America)"

That is just a big-bold-neon LIE!

The experiment does not prove anything because all involved including the store clerk are actors!

This actually upsets me.
Leave things be and let people carry on with their lives...Stop filling their head with crap from years ago. We are trying to move forward, not backsliding into breeding hatred all over again!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Our generation (from my experience at least) are waaayyy over the whole black vs white thing. Some of the most beautiful woman I've seen are African and often I envy them.

We are over it, the problem is that we don't run the world, our parents and grandparents do and it's with them that problem persists.

Can't wait for our shot!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

This actually upsets me. Leave things be and let people carry on with their lives...Stop filling their head with crap from years ago. We are trying to move forward, not backsliding into breeding hatred all over again!

What? Leave things be? It was that attitude that has kept American society stuck in the 1800s.

As a black dude, this is VERY relevant to me. This subject will never die until everyone is willing to let it go, including me and you. And as long as those people from one to two generations ago are still alive, i'mma stay on the grind.

But it's all good, i can't wait for another racism faced by white people thread so I can read the replies...quite interesting.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

You're missing the point, You wouldn't get that treatment because you're white. This thing was based solely because of race. Maybe I'm off but I've NEVER heard of any WHITE person being kicked out of a place and frisked because they were white.

Frankly, I've seen this happen many times here. Just observe what happens to almost any homeless teen (the majority of which are white) when they enter a place of business...

True story: I rarely, if ever, give money to panhandlers. Doesn't bother me in the least, to say no and keep on walking. Walked by a young girl the other day who mentioned that it was her birthday - don't know if it was a line or not, don't care - I happened to have a gift card on me for a dept. store I would not have shopped in, so gave it to her. Since the store was close, I actually observed her go into the store and also watched the security immediately throw her out...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

You again are missing the point , homeless teens shoplift and then sell the items for cash. she wasn't thrown out because she was white , she was thrown out because she was homeless. take her to the salon , buy her some clothes and send her back to the store... she wouldn't be thrown out... trust me.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by EyesWideShut

You're missing the point

No, you're missing the point. This was a social experiment to see how many people would rush to the aid of blacks. The results were that 20% did. Meanwhile, take a look at interracial rape statistics.

20% of whites come to the defense of a black woman for being treated rudely, and according to the first link on the list, black men are 30 times more likely to rape white women than white men to rape black women.

But your reaction is to be angry at how blacks are being treated?

Double standard much?

Read this article. It is the reaction of a black journalist to a white couple being gang raped, tortured, and murdered by 6 blacks. The reaction from the black journalist? "Cry me a river."

WHY do you expect me to be angry that a black woman might be "treated rudely?"

[edit on 11-10-2009 by LordBucket]

I'm not angry and you totally misread my intention (read full posts much?) I'm simply explaining to someone who said that it was fake that these things do happen , then I replied by telling my story. I don't know where you got rape and the rest of your statistics that help your belief system , nor do I know how it relates to the op?

I don't expect you to be angry because a black woman was treated rudely , I'd expect you to get angry if ANY woman was treated rudely.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie

Ahh, nicely done. My question to you is what made you go back to the store? Did you really want that watch or did you know you was getting hassled because you didn't look like a million bucks?

Simply put... I just really liked the watch and didn't want to drive out of the way to the next authorized dealer.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've seen this first hand sorta, but I did not say anything.

I was getting a hotel room in San Fransisco. Next to me were a bunch of black teenagers, and these guys were loaded in the bling bling, so I am pretty sure they were well off.

They were in front of me in line. I heard the price for the room the guy told them, and I was like geez this is gonna cost me. As I'm standing there, another hotel guy walks up to the other register and motions me forward.

I tell him I need a room etc, and he writes down a different price for me on a piece of paper. I was getting the room for half the price as what I heard quoted to the others. I was happy to get it at half the price, so I didn't say anything. But I knew what was going on.

This was no cheap motel btw. My price was nearly $200. And this was in San Fransisco. So I was actually kind of in a shock. Why?

I'm from the south. And the south has a reputation for being racist and so forth. And growing up, I heard the N word plenty of times and so forth. But I had never come close to seeing or experiencing racism like this.

Why would I say anything? It wouldn't have accomplished anything, and I'd probably have been stuck trying to find a decent room etc.

But the next time I visited San Fran, I stayed somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Some here have brought up something I didn't even realize.

In airports, I get the full treatment everytime as well. I just thought it was the luck of the draw, so to speak.

Never considered the fact that they may be profiling. And I flash military ID as well!

hmmff!

of course you do... don't you know we're "homegrown terrorists" now...lol

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You said that perfectly!
This whole racism thing is getting tiresome to say the least.

Our generation (from my experience at least) are waaayyy over the whole black vs white thing. Some of the most beautiful woman I've seen are African and often I envy them.

We are past it! The old fogies need to get with it and stop opening up old wounds!

Thank You

Hardly anyone young is what you could describe as Genuinely racist and when I say young I mean over under 40 not 20

The real problem is 3 successive Presidents from the 60's reliving the issues of their day

Some one should tell Al Gore the Gaia thing is Over, Bush that Frat Boys are no longer popular on campus and Obama that the race war ended 40 years ago...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Yeah

and they will be dead soon

so as the saying goes, "people trip but you don't have to trip with them... "

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I don't know where you got rape and the rest of your statistics
that help your belief system , nor do I know how it relates to the op?

I'm simply questioning the culture that expects me to be angry while watching this video, but accuses me of being an evil racist when I point out tens of thousands of rapes and murders. It is socially acceptable to be angry when blacks don't get nice treatment. It is not socially acceptable to be angry when blacks commit tens of thousands of rapes and murders. It's socially acceptable to expect whites to feel guilty and apologetic for their failings. It's not socially acceptable to expect blacks to do the same. It's socially acceptable for a black man to say "So what? Go cry me a river" when a white couple is raped and murdered. It's not socially acceptable for me to say "So what?" when a black woman is treated rudely under totally fabricated circumances during a social experiment on a video. Why is the reaction of indifference to the rude treatment of a black woman such a worse crime than indifference to the viscious rape and murder of whites?

There is a double standard.

If we really want to see an end to racism, if we really want equality, then we need to stop demanding better treatment for blacks, we need to stop being blind to their failings.

How many of you reading this got angry when you read that last sentence? How dare I imply that blacks have faillings! Ok...so now read these next two sentences and tell me how they make you feel:

Whites are imperfact, and have many faillings.

Blacks are imperfect, and have many failings.

Stop wasting your time and mine by coming up with excuses. Stop trying to justify yourself with intellectual babble. If you got angry, if you became emotionally involved when you read a negative statement about blacks, but did not when you read the same negative statement about whites...then you are the racist and you are the problem.

And...just to drive the point home, re-read the first paragraph of this post. Notice the following statement: "It's socially acceptable to expect whites to feel guilty and apologetic for their failings."

Yes. In the first paragraph I stated that whites have faillings. But you didn't react to it, did you? You only became emotionally involved, you only got angry when I said blacks have faililngs.

There is a double standard.

how it relates to the op?

I assert that the woman in that video received more help and support from the other customers in that store than she would have if she had not been black. Nobody would have cried about her mistreatment if she had not been black.

I have no video to show as evidence to support this. Neverthless, I believe it to be true. Our culture is very sensitive to the mistreatment of blacks. So sensitive that even though this video showed people crying and walking out of the store to object to her mistreatment...somehow we have people in this thread coming away thinking only about the one, single guy who suggested she was "playing the race card."

Granted, blacks are not the only group who receives preferential treatment. For example, if this experiment were performed again with different people, I fully expect that a woman would receive help and support more often than a man. I fully expect that a pretty woman would receive help and support more often than an ugly one. But if you really think it's so bad that "only 20%" came to the rescue of that black woman when she was frisked and asked to leave, I challenge you to recreate that experiment with an arabic woman in a burka and see how many come to her rescue.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

We are over it, the problem is that we don't run the world, our parents and grandparents do and it's with them that problem persists.

Can't wait for our shot!

Oh right your generation isn't racist
thats one of the biggest lies i have ever heard. Thats what i always hear from the young generation "Its not our fault". What are you going to say when "Your shot" comes and racism is still around?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

This actually upsets me. Leave things be and let people carry on with their lives...Stop filling their head with crap from years ago. We are trying to move forward, not backsliding into breeding hatred all over again!

What? Leave things be? It was that attitude that has kept American society stuck in the 1800s.

As a black dude, this is VERY relevant to me. This subject will never die until everyone is willing to let it go, including me and you. And as long as those people from one to two generations ago are still alive, i'mma stay on the grind.

But it's all good, i can't wait for another racism faced by white people thread so I can read the replies...quite interesting.

Dude are you that blind?? Read what he said. He is saying STOP with the hatred, but of course if you pay attention you would know that.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
That video is so fake. I think it is from one of those hidden camera shows where they were playing a joke on the black lady. Or, it is a fake video made by the hip-hop site that is hosting it.

I agree, I have never seen Anything like this. I have seen store employees eyeing people, but have Never seen or heard any of them abuse customers in that way.
My first thought was, this is BS. I don't believe it happened or would happen in real life.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, that's the attitude i get from your post. So then i suppose all of the black and white people that make the claim that they faced discrimination based on X are wrong huh?

I am sure people do face discrimination (which is not the same as racism by the way) when they are out in public. But taking anecdotal evidence, concocting an experiment where everything is fictional except the participation of bystanders, and then claiming this anecdotal evidence is somehow true because these bystanders did not intervene when they saw discrimination taking place is illogical.

One of the greatest travesties is that one is willing to admit that racism and prejudice are still prevalent in our society today, it's still here contrary to your beliefs.

One of the greatest travesties is the tendency for people who enjoy playing the victim to keep living in the past. Instead of asking why their lives are troublesome and why they are struggling, they just blame an external factor and demand compensation. These people cannot face the truth that many of the problems they do face is because of their own inaction, not that of others...

No one even came close to saying anything like that, i think your views were already leaning in one direction so a video like this your going to ignore. Only white customers around? Okay, it's obvious now that you didn't watch the video or if you did you didn't pay attention.

I saw a video where white people who ran a store were being racist to a lone black woman. I saw a multitude of white people stand by and do nothing as a lone black woman was victimised. I have seen people comment that by these bystanders not going to the victim's aid, they are now classified as condoning discrimination and even being racists themselves!

Sorry but your conclusions about this video are even more ridiculous, you don't even know what they were aiming for. It wasn't demonizing anyone, it just gauged everyone's reaction to blatant discrimination, in public. If you felt that way then it tells of your views on certain things.

Please tell me what they were aiming for? To show that anecdotal evidence can be proven as fact by constructing an experiment where everything is fabricated except for the bystanders?

If this video was purely to show that most people prefer not to get involved in the affairs of others when doing so could have bad repercussions for them, then mission accomplished.

What I find this video does try to illustrate on a subliminal level is that white people are spineless, self-absorbed individuals who will stand by and do nothing when non-whites face discrimination.

[edit on 15/10/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
New York is the worst place to try an experiment like this. They all have this defensive nature to ignore everything around them and not get involved with anything. I’m your typical clean cut white guy, and one time in New York I asked 4 different people/couples for the time and they all hurried by me without a glance. New Yorkers would most likely even walk by without looking at the two women even if they were duking it out….hehe

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Mind

Oh right your generation isn't racist thats one of the biggest lies i have ever heard. Thats what i always hear from the young generation "Its not our fault". What are you going to say when "Your shot" comes and racism is still around?

Hey,

I am 21 years old. I live in South Africa, I have gone from being in grade one with 4-6 black people in a grade, to more than half the school being black by high school. My generation has no fear of blacks like they did in previous generations. We have grown up with the change. Gone to school together, ate lunch together, played sport together etc. I have had many black friends and I can tell you at least from where I stand, my generation does not live within the same set of racial issues as some older generations.

That is the honest truth.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

One of the greatest travesties is the tendency for people who enjoy playing the victim to keep living in the past. Instead of asking why their lives are troublesome and why they are struggling, they just blame an external factor and demand compensation. These people cannot face the truth that many of the problems they do face is because of their own inaction, not that of others...

Face the truth, truth about what? So i suppose MARCHING for equal rights only around 40 years ago was inaction of our forefathers to do anything huh? I guess it was the result of the inaction by my ancestors to do anything when our own damn Congress and Government passed Jim Crow to huh?

The past has everything to do with today. If things were fair and not racial biased and motivated back in the day we wouldn't have any of these problems, but it is something you obviously don't understand. And i mean it too since you are implying that the problems faced by black folks are entirely their own doing since they were released from bondage and the government and elected officials of Congress welcomed them into society with open arms. Yea black people were so welcomed by American society that the government had to step in and help with the desegregation of society, how stupid of me to forget that?!

The problems we face today are the problems created yesterday.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101
reply to post by Alien Mind

Oh right your generation isn't racist thats one of the biggest lies i have ever heard. Thats what i always hear from the young generation "Its not our fault". What are you going to say when "Your shot" comes and racism is still around?

Hey,

I am 21 years old. I live in South Africa, I have gone from being in grade one with 4-6 black people in a grade, to more than half the school being black by high school. My generation has no fear of blacks like they did in previous generations. We have grown up with the change. Gone to school together, ate lunch together, played sport together etc. I have had many black friends and I can tell you at least from where I stand, my generation does not live within the same set of racial issues as some older generations.

That is the honest truth.

Failed.

Just because your not racist doesn't mean the rest of your generation isn't either. I see kids your age being racist all the time. Next time don't speak for everyone your age.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Face the truth, truth about what?

That black people today can do anything that a white person can do. Need proof? Look at who is president.

The past has everything to do with today. If things were fair and not racial biased and motivated back in the day we wouldn't have any of these problems, but it is something you obviously don't understand.

You apparently don't understand how to read a post that your replying too. go back and read what the guy posted

And i mean it too since you are implying that the problems faced by black folks are entirely their own doing since they were released from bondage

If you pay attention then you would know he wasn't talking about the past. He is speaking of the present.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join