It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do If This Happened To You: Shopping While Black

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I've always wondered about that chief. I remember for my cousins wedding ceremony his brother, my cousin, brought in a white girl...you should have seen the rubbernecking and the hushed convos.

My boys friend went to Denver Colorado with his girl who is white and you should here what he has to say. He wasn't scarred or anything but he said it was definitely unsettling, the looks he got from everyone not just white or black folks.

We still got a long way to go.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Never seen anything like it, but maybe thats because....everyone in this video is an actor and the whole thing is staged!!! So it stands to reason that you'd never see a case of discrimination this extreme ever.

If you payed attention to the video you would know that it was done to get the responses of the patrons which wasn't stage, this is what is called the scientific method but applied to society.

I haven't seen it but i've been a victim of discrimination this extreme before, followed to the point that i just stopped turned around and stared back at them...it's funny when you confront discrimination because, from my own personal experience, they won't own up to it just give excuses for their behavior.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Oh yeah, we definitely have a ways to go. However, I have hope for the younger generation. Everyone around my age is pretty chill about race. The only hints of racism I get are from girls who "would" be interested if not for what their parents would think. In a generation or two, I think the whole race issue should definitely be sorted out.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I worked in a Circuit City in a mostly black and hispanic area. A guy came in one day wearing a shirt that said, "If I knew it would turn out like this I would have picked my own cotton." You should have seen the reception he recieved. Management actually sent me to keep an eye on him, for his safety.

The whole thing was funny. Once he realized the demographics of the area he was in, he tried real hard to cover his shirt. He was real brave about his ideas until he had to stand accountable in front of others. Really he was pathetic to the point of humor.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest, most White Americans wouldn't notice most of the racism that happens right in front of them all the time.

I am a White male, but I can't tell you how many times I have seen a White Salesperson help another White person first even though there were Black or other non-White patrons who should have been "next in line" for help. I just last week had to point to the Black gentleman sitting down, letting the salesperson know he was next to be helped, not me.

Sad thing is, the White Salesperson probably didn't even realize she was doing that..........

[edit on 12-10-2009 by pavil]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If you payed attention to the video you would know that it was done to get the responses of the patrons which wasn't stage, this is what is called the scientific method but applied to society.

There's not a thing scientific about this video. I understand that they are looking for reactions out of people who aren't the actors, but again? whats the point? This type of situation never happens anyways. I mean if you really wanted to know how people react in the face of authority while someone else is being wronged, there are plenty of studies already available, that are much more scientific. This video was only made to create an emotional response from the people watch it. It's cheap entertainment, and Liquidsmoke ain't buyin.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm a white guy and I've been watched/accused of stealing. I was even accused of robbing an Arby's once, based on my "gangster looking" car at the time. I was told that I would be a slave and that my blood would be spilled by a speaker invited by my college. My girlfriend (shes black) and me were heckled and I was called a "damn cracker" and attacked for dating a black girl.

The fact is we all deal with discrimination at some point. Its not special to one culture of people.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Hi there
What is your point???
I assure you that in some countries of the western europe you can get in much bigger troubles than the ones shown in your flimsy vid, and only because you speak Polish language in public...(mostly in german speaking countries) but no matter how revolting it is, and even if you try to give them hell every time you get in the situaton like this its obvious that its imposible to unvalidate many centuries of enemity dating long way back even before of the battle of Grunwald...
With the French racists etc its even more revolting. Anyway... what then ?? either/or they prefere to have as their neighbours uneducated, agressive Islamists rather than the famous "Polish Plumber"or are plain stupid...anyway its their problem.

One thing is sure:some kinds of discrimination because of race, skin colour, haircut, whatever you can imagine, will be present always- as long the human beings will stay what they are- the separate biological individuals...and sometimes its better so...
All we can do is to live our lives the best way we can...and to stay away from ### rap noise(some call) music. )

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
There's a form of discrimination that I haven't seen come up yet on this thread - ageism.

Some time ago my elderly, female ex-employer wanted to buy a new car, so she took herself off to a showroom.

She stood looking at the cars, then looked round for someone to help. None of the young, male assistants would even look at her, let alone offer to serve her.

Eventually, infuriated by their behaviour, she left the showroom. When she'd calmed down she took the view that their loss was greater than hers. She could take her custom elsewhere but one of them had missed out on a shed-load of commission.

So, I suppose we've all got that form of discrimination to look forward to. Unless we start now to teach the kids to respect their elders

Going back to the video, what are the possibilities that some of the shoppers realised that the whole thing was staged? So much of that goes on these days (Candid Camera type stunts), possibly that was the reason some of the people stayed out of it? I wouldn't want to risk making a fool of myself if I suspected a set-up.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think the one thing that would have made this video SO much better was if while this whole thing was going on someone else took the opportunity to shoplift themselves.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
That video is so fake. I think it is from one of those hidden camera shows where they were playing a joke on the black lady. Or, it is a fake video made by the hip-hop site that is hosting it.

I have never experienced anything like this in my life, or seen anyone else in this situation,

If I had, knowing my BIG mouth, I certainly would have spoken up.

This is BS.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Some time ago my elderly, female ex-employer wanted to buy a new car, so she took herself off to a showroom.

I have experienced this, until I spoke and they realized I wasn't anybodies fool.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Why stop there? Anyone ever take offense to the notion that you get reviewed while leaving Sam's or Costco. You've gone in spent money and are treated as a criminal befroe you leave. It's everyone. Same with some electronics stores such as Fry's. Really, how can it be justified either way?

PG

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I used to live in Baltimore. I'm white and my wife is black.

I used to take the bus to work everyday and there was one particular bus driver (black male) who would inevitably give me a dirty look and pass right on by me if no one else was at the stop! It was unbelievable!

If my wife, or any black people, were at the bus stop he'd stop, otherwise nope. So, after this happening (along with the dirty look) at least 4-5 times I decided to take action. I reported him to MTA (Maryland Transportation Authority) with time, description, bus number and all that but I knew that likely wouldn't go anywhere.

I decided to video tape the guy! Standing there at the busstop holding my video camera... the look on his face was priceless when he recognized what I was doing! He slammed on the breaks and threw half the people around. I decided to not get on his bus that day to avoid who-knows-what, but everyday after that he stopped for me. The dirty looks continued.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Wow, really? Take a few more minutes and ACTUALLY watch the whole video. Yes, the SCENARIO was fake but was indeed a real piece on how people act to blatant racism. Geez, I hope you don't do anything investigative for a living.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just because people did not step in it doesn't make them racist. Do this same social experiment again only with a white person in the hot seat. The number of people that step in will be in around the same if not lower.

Some people are just afraid to voice their opinions.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Thats cuz you my high yellah brotha from anotha mutha!!

what did she think you were? Jew? Muslim? Outwardly allergic to pork?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
i think this video is a bit off... i mean they are creating the racist situation and asking an average citizen to stand up for someone else.... they dont call us sheeple for nothing.... It has nothing to do with the race of the people who wont stand up for the lady theyre probably pretty shocked to see how overt the racism is... this isnt the 50's anymore. I dont know, I cant say that i have ever seen anything like this .... ever

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Ive been followed, pulled over, attacked, cursed out, threatened, arrested(for riding a bike at night on the sidewalk), denied jobs, etc because im black. I dont cry about it i understand its the nature of the beast

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by magnetik

not to belittle your statement but thats the police i mean you can almost expect them to be bigots.

I think thats where they should have taken this social experiment. i mean shopping seems stupid ... i can absolutely agree racial profiling happens with police tho

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join