It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do If This Happened To You: Shopping While Black

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

I'm not sure if you are ignorant or just prejudice yourself. Even IF the video was a fake, stuff like this happens to Blacks, Whites, Mexicans, Muslims, (you name the ethnic group, it happens) all the time. I very much doubt that at some point in your life you haven't been targeted.

For me, with stores, it was less my ethnicity and more my age. I was picked on by stores something awful as a teen... and I was a good teen! The worst was when I would go up to the counter to pay for stuff and they would skip over me and serve someone else.
I have thrown my merchandise down on the floor and left in a huff several times.

The difficulty I seem to be having now is with jobs... particularly a local college close to here. It is pretty much ruled by the blacks and they didn't want a little white girl in with them. I was a temporary worker there so I had no recourse. I was told straight up by one... *deleting word mods don't like*... that the reason she had given me a bad report was because I was white and Christian... cute.

I usually manage to defuse prejudice quietly. If I'm in line and the cashier tries to serve the person before me, I quietly step back and say "she/he was ahead of me. You must not have seen." That way, the person knows that I know they did wrong. Maybe they'll be convicted and stop.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
The other way to look at it is that 20% of these people stood up for the woman.

Why are you upset about this?

Hi, Mr. Bucket.
I'm not upset about the 20%. I'm glad about that. I'm upset that the vast majority didn't step in and help their fellow woman OR ELSE they agreed with the store clerk that "those types of people" are suspicious! One guy accused her of playing the race card!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm upset that the vast majority didn't step in and help their fellow woman

Ok...but I would guess that far fewer than 20% would step in if it were, for example, a white teenage boy being frisked. I'm guessing a lot of those who stepped in to defend her did so solely because she was a black woman.

I wouldn't expect 20% of people to come to my rescue if I were the one being asked to leave.

The fact that you people are upset that she didn't get better treatment when she received treatment far better than I could expect in the same circumsances, honestly...annoys me.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Not believing the video is being ignorant or prejudice? Seems you are the one being prejudice assuming I don't believe such things occur. I just said the video was fake, The thread was presented as if the video were real.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm upset that the vast majority didn't step in and help their fellow woman

Ok...but I would guess that far fewer than 20% would step in if it were, for example, a white teenage boy being frisked. I'm guessing a lot of those who stepped in to defend her did so solely because she was a black woman.

I wouldn't expect 20% of people to come to my rescue if I were the one being asked to leave.

The fact that you people are upset that she didn't get better treatment when she received treatment far better than I could expect in the same circumsances, honestly...annoys me.

You're missing the point, You wouldn't get that treatment because you're white. This thing was based solely because of race. Maybe I'm off but I've NEVER heard of any WHITE person being kicked out of a place and frisked because they were white.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Iv seen a few social experiments like this one done before.... like the one where the girl wears a fat suit and goes shopping and gets ignored, then comes back w/o the suit and is helped right away.... blah, blah..... nothing new.... i have full sleeved tattoos on both arms, you should see how store clerks treat me, like in straight out of jail or something....
also, i think this video is stupid and race baiting...
but, to answer the question, if i were their in that video, honestly i would have probably just went on about my business too...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I appreciate the OP bringing this up. But, (in my humble opinion) it's those of us that have been discriminated against that have the power to negate/stop this type of behaviour.

I, personally, forgive every stupid racist redneck a##hole that has said/done something to me.

You can't help it. It was how you were raised.

I wish like hell that everyone was mixed like me and my kids.

Then we could have "brown" history YEAR!!!

And we could all quit this white/black/asian crap.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

You're missing the point, You wouldn't get that treatment because you're white. This thing was based solely because of race. Maybe I'm off but I've NEVER heard of any WHITE person being kicked out of a place and frisked because they were white.

Frankly, I've seen this happen many times here. Just observe what happens to almost any homeless teen (the majority of which are white) when they enter a place of business...

True story: I rarely, if ever, give money to panhandlers. Doesn't bother me in the least, to say no and keep on walking. Walked by a young girl the other day who mentioned that it was her birthday - don't know if it was a line or not, don't care - I happened to have a gift card on me for a dept. store I would not have shopped in, so gave it to her. Since the store was close, I actually observed her go into the store and also watched the security immediately throw her out...

[edit on 11-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
My boyfriend and I travel with the same couple all the time. She's white and he's half white/half native. The combination makes him look almost Hispanic.

EVERY TIME we go through airport security, he gets pulled away for the "random" search. It never fails. The three of us walk through fine, but because he has darker skin he gets searched. It's become kind of a joke with the four of us now, but the reality of the situation is that it's blatant racism.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

You're missing the point

No, you're missing the point. This was a social experiment to see how many people would rush to the aid of blacks. The results were that 20% did. Meanwhile, take a look at interracial rape statistics.

20% of whites come to the defense of a black woman for being treated rudely, and according to the first link on the list, black men are 30 times more likely to rape white women than white men to rape black women.

But your reaction is to be angry at how blacks are being treated?

Double standard much?

Read this article. It is the reaction of a black journalist to a white couple being gang raped, tortured, and murdered by 6 blacks. The reaction from the black journalist? "Cry me a river."

WHY do you expect me to be angry that a black woman might be "treated rudely?"

[edit on 11-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

WHY do you expect me to be angry that a black woman might be "treated rudely?"

[edit on 11-10-2009 by LordBucket]

Presumably because you are a man. It should not matter what race she is.
Obviously your bigotry has blinded you to even the most obvious rational human decency.

You are an example of the type of bigot that this place is crawling with.

Enough with the rationalizations. Call a spade a spade.

The irrational blabber people are posting here is just more racism.

You blab about 80% and 20% and how you would be treated, that's ignorant, and prejudiced.

I grew up in a tough mixed neighborhood, White, Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, good old NY. Not going to say there is no racism here, but most have known enough to personally shut "you" up if you came around our parts pushing your type of bigotry.

Nothing lower than a coward with moral support form other cowards, lots of those around this place.

Racism is wrong no matter who practices it, White, Black, whatever.

To close your eyes and act like it does not exist is passive collaboration. Normal people are disturbed by this video.

You appear to like it.

Maybe you should seek some medical help.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Roger on that one. I wonder if they would do the same experiment but use all ethnic groups but dressed at a different level. The reactions of the patrons would be most interesting indeed.

I think its mostly a class issue first and foremost. If you don't look the part, then your suspected.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Ahh, nicely done. My question to you is what made you go back to the store? Did you really want that watch or did you know you was getting hassled because you didn't look like a million bucks?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

You do know what i'm going to say right?
Do you anything to support that claim or is it just your assumption because uh, your wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
If I saw a similar scene in a store I shop at, I would just assume the black lady was a shoplifter who was previously caught and was there to steal again. I wouldn't assume the store was just being bigoted, because scenes such as the one in the video simply do not happen, else the store would not be in business long.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by digger2381

This was designed to show that the evil white devils won't step into an altercation that isn't their business to help the poor black shopper

What, did YOU see the video? It was an experiment to see what normal people, IE society, would do if they saw discrimination while shopping, why don't you stick to the script, would you have done anything why or why not? Everyone in the US gets discriminated on at some eventually, its your response to it that makes the difference.

It was interesting to see if anyone would "lend a hand". I also find it most striking the reaction of the european lady at the end, when she asked if she could go back shopping, that was classic. That's what i'm talking about keeping it real. Damn near the whole store left after she did and it wasn't even an American that rallied the troops. See anything wrong with that?

Would you feel better if the ethnic groups were reversed? Because more than likely you'll get the same results, read before you reply.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystrange

Obviously your bigotry has blinded you
that's ignorant, and prejudiced.
Normal people are disturbed by this video.
Maybe you should seek some medical help.

Ok. I'm an evil, horrible racist. I eat kittens and chop babies up for fun. And I smell bad.

I get it.

But let me ask you this...you say that this video makes you angry. Ok. But in the post of mine that you're responding to I make mention of a white couple who were both kidnapped, gang raped, tortured...then murdered.

Why is it that rude treatment of a black woman make you angry, but gang rape and murder of white people does not?

Normal people are disturbed by this video.

If normal people are disturbed by this video, and if I'm ignorant and prejudiced and need medical help for not being disturbed by it...what are you for not being disturbed by the couple who was gang raped and murdered?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

You would think, in this day and age,that type of racism would be
on the decline.I gave you a star and flag!Great thread

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Are you kidding me, how in the hell did that jump into the conversation?! Do us ALL a favor and try to read the OP before you decide to drag statistics into the conversation because i have some eye opening ones for to say the least, the stats can mean whatever you want them to say.

Oh yea, this little tidbit your referring to "In the United States in 2005, 37,460 white females were sexually assaulted or raped by a black man, while between zero and ten black females were sexually assaulted or raped by a white man"

LOL, how do they know that for sure? Your hinging your argument backed by that? Heh. Do us a favor read the document that your using to back yourself with. Race wasn't even mentioned in the pdf (i read it on stormfront) accept for breakdown of actual offenders.

Now, please just contribute to the thread and relate your experience or don't chime in. I didn't post this as a black vs white thing but a discrimination thing. Would you have done something to help or just watched.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join