It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myths about the Nobel Peace Prize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I recently read an article about common myths regarding the noble peace prize.
I found it to be very informative, and after reading it, can see how Obama did receive the prize within the guidelines of their determinations.

OSLO: An award that generates as much interest as the Nobel Peace Prize is bound to be surrounded by myths. Geir Lundestad, secretary of the secretive committee that awards the prize, outlines some of the most common misunderstandings:

Myth #1: The awards committee announces a shortlist of candidates. The committee does not release the names of any candidates and keeps records sealed for 50 years.

Myth #2: A campaign for a particular candidate can sway the awards committee. A campaign could have the exact opposite effect on the fiercely independent committee, which does not want to appear influenced by public pressure.

Myth #3: Candidates can be nominated until the last minute. The nomination deadline is eight months before the announcement, with a strictly enforced deadline of Feb. 1.

latimes.com

ATS is about denying ignorance. For us to comment in an informed manner about the noble peace prize is to understand what it entails, and how and why it is awarded.

When Obama is awarded a peace prize by an organization that has been doing this for over a century, one might ask, what is it that we don't see, that they do?

Peace starts in ever man and woman's heart, and when we slander and stir up dust over an award which inspires and promotes peace, there becomes a point do we become the war mongers ourselves.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/10/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

link   

link   

link   

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Its just a political step, they seem to give them to the flavour of the month.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
well...if no one seemed to have noticed, this flavor of the month apparently has a really bitter taste considering how few people actually like obama.

my guess is that its to INSPIRE peace efforts as stated in one of the last myths.

that or to congratulate the US for not electing another Bush

top topics

join