It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Partiers Turn on GOP Leadership (and it's about damn time)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It's one thing to bitch about the people you think have screwed things up for America.

It's another altogether to try to seek leaders for re-focused "business as usual" and a return to the ideals you embrace.

It's also about time.

While the energy of the anti-tax and anti-big government Tea Party movement may yet haunt Democrats in 2010, the first order of business appears to be remaking the Republican Party.

Whether it’s the loose confederation of Washington-oriented groups that have played an organizational role or the state-level activists who are channeling grass roots anger into action back home, Tea Party forces are confronting the Republican establishment by backing insurgent conservatives and generating their own candidates—even if it means taking on GOP incumbents.

“We will be a headache for anyone who believes the Constitution of the United States…isn’t to be protected,” said Dick Armey, chairman of the anti-tax and limited government advocacy group FreedomWorks, which helped plan and promote the Tea Parties, town hall protests and the September ‘Taxpayer March’ in Washington. “If you can’t take it seriously, we will look for places of other employment for you.”

“We’re not a partisan organization, and I think many Republicans are disappointed we are not,” added Armey, a former GOP congressman.

www.politico.com...

Finally! The real purpose has come to the fore. Dissatisfaction alone is never enough.

If conservatives feel left out, they will need to get rid of their self-annointed and self-aggrandizing "spokespersons" and get some new blood in the leadership.

It's all about "Representative Government," isn't it?

Read more: www.politico.com...

jw

[edit on 11-10-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I was wondering when they were going to realize they were just being used.

Hopefully their funding and additional resources won't completely dry up.

Is this when false-news starts referring to them as "Loonies" now?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhetoric

I don't think we are "being used." We are being capitalized on and taken advantage of. Co-opted from every side for their own self-serving agendas.

(This really isn't a left-right didactic. It's much more multi-faceted than you may think-- the most vehement, and shrillest criticism has been from those who wanted to "lump-in" the Tea Party movement with their respective bogeymen. Well, Surprise, surprise.)

The left and MSM capitalize by making us into monsters.
The right and conservative media capitalize with their "me too" attitudes and attempts to profit by saying: "see, we were right all along."

Too bad for them, they were wrong!

This isn't "biting the hand that feeds you," at all.

Tea Party movements began and thrived WITHOUT ANY SUPPORT from the popular press.

CNN , MSNBC, et al saw us as an opportunity to cement the loyalty of the faithful and their viewership.

FOX, and the GOP saw us as the only legitimate "coattails" to grab on to since the current leadership, by and large, are as deeply sold-out and committed to the CW and the status quo as their (in name/party-affiliation only) "opponents. If anything, we got (almost) co-opted.

Hopefully their funding and additional resources won't completely dry up.

We got by just fine, thank you, without them. We've NEVER relied on them for anything. If they want to throw $$ or airtime or bandwidth our way, we'd be stupid NOT to take it.

What's the Hollywood mantra? "There's no such thing as bad publicity."

Damned right. Let's see who runs with THIS story.

(I give even odds we actually get carried in the NYT, WaPo and HuffPo, CNN over this "development")

Is this when false-news starts referring to them as "Loonies" now?

"Starts?" What have you missed?

We've been "crazed," "misled," "unhinged," and worse from DAY ONE.

What I can't wait to see are the "how dare you" retorts from the comfortable GOP parasites who thought they'd just "come along for the ride."

Well, guess what. 2010 is right around the corner. Time to put up or shut up. Eveveryone.

Ooops.

Deny ignorance!

jw

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I didn't know the Tea Party Protesters were all republicans. People want the spending to stop, period. Do you guys really think that debt has a political party. The people that we elected to represent the will of the American people have turned their backs on America. I suppose with the way that the mainstream media covered these people it would lead you to believe they were all red neck gun toting bible thumping republicans, but it enlightens the rest of us what direction this thread was intended to go.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jnewell33
I didn't know the Tea Party Protesters were all republicans. People want the spending to stop, period. Do you guys really think that debt has a political party. The people that we elected to represent the will of the American people have turned their backs on America. I suppose with the way that the mainstream media covered these people it would lead you to believe they were all red neck gun toting bible thumping republicans, but it enlightens the rest of us what direction this thread was intended to go.

So what's wrong with being "red neck gun toting bible thumping republicans"?

Mainly the red neck gun toting part.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by Rhetoric

I don't think we are "being used." We are being capitalized on and taken advantage of. Co-opted from every side for their own self-serving agendas.

And that's not "being used" ?

I think most logical folks would categorize "being taken advantage of" as "being used"

And if the GOP deems the "tea baggers" a threat; "being used" will seem like the good old days.

Just like anti war people were designated as traitors, communists, America haters, terrorist sympathizers etc. and demonized by the military/industrial complex neocons. Do you think that those very same people would have any problems turning against rightwing wacko, homegrown terrorists, Koresh/McVey sympathizers, etc.
Politics is about money and the control of that money. This could get nasty.

Let the games begin!!!

[edit on 11-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

“We’re not a partisan organization, and I think many Republicans are disappointed we are not,” added Armey, a former GOP congressman.

Pants on fire! The "anti-tax and limited government advocacy group FreedomWorks" is funded by some of the biggest corporate lobbies in Washington.

If the tea partiers dump the remaining sane members of the Republican party and just become corporate shills they will not win any elections in the forseeable future.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

They really need to.

The GOP was obscuring what these people actually stand for.

I hate to do this.. but this is exactly what Gerald Celente noted would begin to happen.

Is a third viable political party being formed?

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

I suppose with the way that the mainstream media covered these people it would lead you to believe they were all red neck gun toting bible thumping republicans, but it enlightens the rest of us what direction this thread was intended to go.

I'm not really sure what you mean here.

First, the liberals and MSM said "this is nothing, it'll go away."
Then they said, FOX and the GOP are running the show.
Then, when it became undeniable that the Tea Party movement was open to and invigorated by Amerccans from all walks of life, we were cast as "fringers," and worse.

Entire threads here spent days castigating Tea Party participants and supporters as beholden to the Republican party, and even more extreme political ideologies.

Maybe now, people will see that disgust is not limited to a single party, and is not really political at all.

It is ideological, but not tied to any one in the mainstream.

We are more "maverick" than most people can even imagine.

Those who say, "do something about it," are about to get their wish granted in spades.

jw

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sr_robert1

So what's wrong with being "red neck gun toting bible thumping republicans"?

Mainly the red neck gun toting part.

So if we carry Bibles into the Statehouse, we're good to go. But if we're Southern, rural, conservative gun-owners, We're not allowed in?

And what about the Republican part? They out, too?

Explain, please.

jw

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It is about d*mned time! I'm a member of a local Conservative group prospecting for a fresh viable Conservative candidate to replace a non- Conservative Republican state senator in the next election. You don't know how hard it is now-a-days to find a true Conservative business professional with political aspirations! Our biggest hurdle so far has been the number of lawyers who want to run for office. We have vowed not to back a lawyer, period. We want someone with morality.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The next election will tell weather or not if people have waken up or not.
The talk radio station the "Patriot" which seems to lean to the Republican side is under the impression that the republicans are going to be back in control again after next election.
Its clearly time for new blood all the way top to bottom. If that doesn't happen were done.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I've got to say that this is exciting. The best thing the Tea Partiers could do would be to separate themselves from the GOP. Good for them!

I just wonder how much backing they'll have... It won't do for them to be a subsection of Republicans. They have to come out as something DIFFERENT than Republicans.

Good luck to them!

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I've got to say that this is exciting. The best thing the Tea Partiers could do would be to separate themselves from the GOP. Good for them!

I just wonder how much backing they'll have... It won't do for them to be a subsection of Republicans. They have to come out as something DIFFERENT than Republicans.

Good luck to them!

If the Tea Partiers can actually adopt a platform with a positive agenda,
some real ideas not just negative namecalling against the "liberals" and Obama; they might stand a chance, at least in some local elections.
But even the role of spoilers is good for politics in general, but negative politics is obsolete. Ask Palin/McCain and most of the other GOPs that ran for office.

But so far the TP's need to get some good A&R people on board to get some good press and their message out there. And that takes money.
They need a steering committee with a plan. I'd like to see one. As it is the Tea Partiers going up against the entrenched Corporatacracy is pretty much setting themselves for a big disappointment.

It's going to take alot more than just tough talking on the INTERNET to create a viable grass roots movement. I covered the local Tea Party for my local Cable Access Channel and from what I saw it was more of a social event rather than a true political rally.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I wouldn't expect you to make an endorsement or anything, but if you ignore the blather for a bit and look at the Tea Party Patriots and Armey's site, you'll see that the movement started off WITH NO formal "Republican" backing, and that any Republicans who've "come on board" have done so to try to glean some of the attention these non-partisan protesters have garnered on their own.

When we've sponsored protests in Indiana and Texas, we've made it absolutely clear that no candidate or elected official from EITHER party was invited to speak.

They can ATTEND, but they do not speak for us.

We can do that for ourselves quite well, thank you.

jw

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It hasn't been since Teddy Roosevelt that a third party has been a viable option to those of us that are truly conservative. Even he was a progressive and not the candidate he portrayed in his campaign. I think that now, so many disenchanted by both parties, that a third choice has a chance. We must start on the State level though. With out the backing of the State elected officials any candidate for the office of POTUS would have no leverage to bring about the real changes we need in DC. Both houses must be cleaned out completely before this country can resume it's place as the Representative Republic that it really was in the beginning!

Zindo

[edit on 10/11/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jnewell33

The parties that I attended were filled with people fed up with BOTH parties. Talking to many of them will give you the impression that they want true Representation. The main concern seemed to be the lack of reverence for our Constitutional laws,by our elected officals as a whole.
That stance doesn't lend itself to the republican or the democrats. That stance is pure American at it's best.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
I wouldn't expect you to make an endorsement or anything,

I don't know why not. I actually support a party more attached to the Constitution. In fact, if the tea partiers manage to get a good Constitutional candidate, I'd vote for him/her.

I am aware of the grassroots origins of the party. And I agree that the Republicans have latched on for their own PR and the Democrats have tried to couple them with Republicans. So, I think you've mistaken my position.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Do not have much to add but my Avatar and Signature jdub. S&F.

I will back any candidate Dem, Repub, Constitutionalists that will actually follow the constitution. But for that to happen they would have to vote no for just about any law, would have to repeal almost all laws and/or find anyone not guilty of corporate crimes-unconstitutional laws.

And in my view the US is circling the drain. Rome fell when TPTB became corrupt, so shall we.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Who, other than the far left has said the Tea Party movement was an arm of the GOP? They have been called a GOP movement to discredit them, but I have never read or heard a statement by a prominent Republican saying they are a Republican movement. How have they turned on 'GOP leadership?'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join