It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Logic?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Stifled by academia, as pointed out above.

People started making up all these big words, and now all of our studying is done learning these big words before coming to the actual mystery we were originally studying. Intuitive approaches are lost, or someone tries to analyze the intuition and fails at either understanding or teaching it or both.

Sorry. Standard words for similar concepts are the prerequisite for contributing to the sum of human knowledge. People who make up their own words are usually just ignored, because its hard enough learning one topic's nomenclature. The problem you state of "knowing big words" is actually worse without big words, everyone would spend time explaining concepts again and again and less time actually thinking & experimenting.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon

Absolutely agree.
However, how many schools have classes on thinking creatively? I took 1 in college and it was one of the best classes I took. We were given problems and told, as a group, to come up with as many solutions as possible, regardless of the "insanity" of our solutions.

You'd be surprised how many "insane" ideas turned into logical solutions.
Just like Hannibal from the A-Team "It's just so crazy, it just might work!"

Yes, I agree with what you are saying but creative classes, or lessons in creative thought are not just something one learns as one specific organized session. I believe every problem, or subject needs a creative element within its own subject matter regardless of established protocols or methods of problem solving. The only way creativity can mix with logic is to include new ideas or new ways of looking at subjects, Ideas or problems from the usual methods of logical applications of problem solving or thought. This approach is purely for learning though, lateral thinking, outside the box etc.
In the practical sense it would be a huge waste of time in applying this exercise to every situation in the real world when we have established logical solutions or approaches to challenges or problems.

I am really digging the replies on this thread. Well done people.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join