It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morrisons Refuses to sell wine to mother in case daughter drank it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
Drink

Yea "Check out" (pun intended) Da Morrisons massive, we iz well hard because we speak like Ali G and we's look like de Eminem from the US-ov-A

[edit on 11-10-2009 by NotAgain]

Yikes, I almost punched my monitor there - You do that rather well !!

I could hear the accent with just words!

I've been queried about plonk I was buying once, and this was 15 years ago here. Apparently he'd been in just before me and tried to buy a bottle of jim beam - my buying vodka was still 'iffy' to them.

They didn't prevent me however, but the sheer gall sticks with you for a while.

If I'd had near adult children with me, and they had been the reason for any claims of ill intent on my behalf, I'd have given the checkout person an earful and change.

Thats just a shocker...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by biohazardjon
In the netto's where I shop the young man in front of me who clearly looked in his twenties and had a big beard was asked for id he then produced it then the woman behind the till says how old is you friend sitting the car outside he said I dont know around twenty five she then called him a liar but bugrudgingly served him a crate of beer!

Wait, thats really scary - I mean, WHO DOES NOT KNOW someone not of legtal drinking age?

I'd get really snotty at that sort of attitude, and as some here may be aware, it doesnt take much

Well the instant they start this shenanigans in Australia, I'm finishing the still I started years ago...

Man, every day I'm struck by some new form of lunacy, every day it doesn't get easier, just more overwhelmingly sad...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This exact same thing happened to me in our local Tesco. I had my step son (15years old) with me to help me carry the two boxes of beer (for a bbq) and the checkout lady decided that I was buying it for him.
Mind you, after a 5 minute argument I convinced her that she was talking complete rubbish and she backed down and she was very apologetic.

It ended up ok, but I have to admit that I was fuming at the time.

But I do see their side of it, when you look around the streets where I live the chavs dominate the whole town, which is quickly turning into a stinking dive.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAgain
I would understand if it was a bottle of cider or some Alcopops or something like this but this was a "Bottle of Wine" how many teens stand on the street corner in the UK drinking wine "Not many" as I said they are targeting the wrong people.

Chardonnay Chavs. They'll stick you for your Merlot those sneaky buggers..

Most of the under-age drinkers don't buy there booze from Morrisons anyway, they go the local corner shop "Normally owned by Asians, NOT ALWAYS but normally" and buy there booze there, I have one around the corner from where I live and there are groups of youths (Anywhere between 5-10) all drinking outside the shop. The shop owner doesn't turn them down, hell no that would be 80% of his custom out the window.

Im glad we do have fairly tight restrictions on underage drinking here - in terms of sale. But having said that, never once in my life was I ever carded at a bottle shop. And I've been buying it since I was 13 years old.

In fact the only time there was ever a hassle, was when a mate wanted to buy a box of matches from a bottlo - and was refused because he was under 18. Irony...

It's the same everywhere, it's the same with under-age smoking, I know many local shops that sell single cigarettes for around 50p to the local school children. So they can bring as many stupid policies out as they want with companies like "Morrisons, Tescos, ASDA" and the only people it will affect is innocent people enjoy a glass of wine with there tea after a hard days work.

Again, we're pretty strict on that. We seem to have a decent middle ground. No overt inane laws turning mums into alleged criminals, plying their daughters with plonk - but no slack laws giving fuel to the media about children getting adult vices, leading to more laws.. It happens, but not greatly and can bring down hefty fines on those guilty of letting it happen.

The worst we have is the ignorant pollies saying "We'll stop the kids drinking, we'll put a huge TAX on alcopops.!! What? What do you mean they're just buying bottles of vodka now? Well, strewth they are persistent aren't they.. No don't repeal the alcopops tax, we likey money!!!!"

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
In one sense, I admire that the store is backing the decision of a member of staff, however erroneous that decision may be. However, there are times when the error is too large to not say, 'hang on, let's think about this'. The store should now apologise, but if it doesn't, I hope the family choose to take their business elsewhere.

The 'Challenge 21' alcohol drive in the UK is good in theory, as are many schemes, but the application can sometimes be off. I used to shop in our local Asda (about the time Wal-mart took it over) as it was the closest supermarket and I didn't have a car. I had been wanting to boycott Asda due to Wal-mart's ownership, but the next nearest supermarket was a 30 minute walk.

One Sunday, having my weekly shop scanned, the check out assistant picked up the single bottle of beer I had on the conveyor bet and asked if had any id. I didn't have a driver's license, but I was 25, slightly receeding and had a full beard, so I was pretty peeved. That said, she'd asked and didn't back down, which is fine. I suddenly realised I only had my credit card on me to pay. So knowing that you have to be over 18 to have a credit card, I assumed I wouldn't be able to pay. This I told her.

'Oh no, I believe you're over 18.' Then why aren't you selling me the alcohol, I asked. 'Because, you have to be over 21, it's the law.' I asked to see a supervisor, because I wanted either to be refused the alcohol and the card, or allowed for both. The supervisor said the same thing. 'You can pay with the card, but can't have the alcohol.' I tried to explain the utter stupidity they were displaying, but they stuck by the fact 'the law' said I had to be 21. I said something rather rude (it was a great put down, but people have feelings, so I feel bad now) and told them I didn't want any of my shopping.

That was the last time I ever went in Asda.

The irony is that six months later, I gained my full driver's license and haven't been asked for it once, even sans beard.

The world's full of people who don't engage their brains at times, but the power's with the consumer. Shop somewhere else.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Woland]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Woland
I suddenly realised I only had my credit card on me to pay. So knowing that you have to be over 18 to have a credit card, I assumed I wouldn't be able to pay. This I told her.

Yhea - about the credit card. Don't rely on people taking that as proof!

I don't have a 'real' credit card cos I'm a sort of cash guy, but I do have a mastercard - it's one of those 'pay as you go' jobbies, I have to go to the shop to put money on it, which is good, I only really have it for paying on the internet - gives me time to consider the purchase and I can't but tellytubbies pyjamas at 3am and drunk

But those type of cards are pretty much indistinguishable from a 'real' credit card - but anyone can have one...Quite often rich kids get their pocket money put on them by daddy cos he can do it from anywhere - he don't have to actually be in the same room with the spoilt brat!

I usually rely on my driving licence - you should really have something on that standard to avoid this kinda crap

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
In Massachusetts, on long (holiday) weekends, cops sit in unmarked cars in liquor store parking lots. If a kid drives his parent to a liquor store (happens often with kids with learner's permits) the cop will pull them over on the way out.

If the parent is nice (kisses ass) the child will get a summons to court, resulting in community service & an alcohol class. If the parent isn't an ass-smooch, the child will be arrested for transporting alcohol.

Yeah- it sucks.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This happened to me once. When I was thirty years old and on a visit to my family in New York, I went with the family to the store. My sister was buying wine to bring to a dinner party that night. I was four months pregnant at the time and I was not planning to drink any alcohol at all. But I had left my purse at home (so I had no ID) we had my eighteen-year-old niece with me. So they refused to sell my sister (who was 33 at the time) the alcohol.

Now, mind you, I was THIRTY years old and pregnant, and the other person present was my adult (but under 21) niece.

It was very aggravating and completely unfair.

BTW to stress I wasn't even the one buying the alcohol, I just happened to be present at the time of the purchase.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by OuttaHere]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Sounds like the Nanny state is no longer a myth in the UK.

At least they are trying to do something about their out of control youth, they seem to have this violent social underclass whose pups roam the streets at night.

Reminded me of Romania, nasty and violent.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Ah, sorry, not sure if I explained myself very well. Don't know if you're in the UK, but I had a Barclaycard, which is extremely well known as a credit card. I don't believe they offer any type of proxy card for family members; certainly in the 6 years I spent in the service industry, I never saw one.

Anyway, I wasn't offering it as a proof of my age; it was the shop staff who were saying that they believed I was 18 thus could use the card, but because they didn't believe I looked over 21, I couldn't have the alcohol, as they believed that to be the law.

If they accepted I was over 18, they should have been happy to sell me the alcohol; if they did think I was over 18, they should have refused to accept the credit card. Their logic was idiotic.

Ultimately, Asda made a decsion and so did I and I suspect that the women in this thread's story will do likewise.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join