It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nat Geo Wants Your DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I just finished watching the Nat Geo "Human Family Tree" program on TV. Whilst I found the information interesting I could not believe for a second these people allowed themselves to be DNA tested.

Call me paranoid, but there is no way known I would voluntarily give one gene of my DNA to some no-name scientist.

Surely they could take DNA from every fresh dead person? This would give them the same results. But instead they want living participants.

So what happens? You participate and before you know it the storm troopers come smashing through your front door to drag you and family off to the correct “racial” concentration camp?

So what do ATSers think? Would you want to participate?

ps. To add injury to insult the participation kit costs $99!!

[edit on 11-10-2009 by WorldObserver]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I would not willingly give my DNA to anybody. Sadly, that doesn't matter in most cases, where doors can be broken and places searched for a hair or skin cells. At least it is optional for Nat Geo.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I dont think that National Geographic is going to use your dna in a negative light.

It is merely a way to track down ancestry. Proving where your dna originated from.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Someone can just hit you with a spoon and get your DNA. Do not get paranoid about something you cannot protect anyway ...
Your DNA doesn't represent you. Just your body.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleetlord
I would not willingly give my DNA to anybody.

Having procreated I have already very willingly given my DNA to someone, the result, if I may say so, is quite beautiful too

Anyone could follow me around, pick up my discarded gum or coffee cup and completely unbeknownst to me clone me for the good of science. Sending in a sample to find out my genetic heritage I at least see some result from it. If I had the cash I'd definately have a squiz. It is only the cost that makes me think twice.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by shamhat]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by incarnating
Someone can just hit you with a spoon and get your DNA. Do not get paranoid about something you cannot protect anyway ...
Your DNA doesn't represent you. Just your body.

You know Hitler's "perfect race"? It's kind of like that. If they could find the ones that are in the race, they can find the ones who aren't (hypothetically speaking, that is.). My family has had the test done.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldObserver

Seeing as how this proved all of us are like 99.99 % all genetically the same, how would they cart you off to some camp??? Is that .01% supposed to be race? And being so low a percentage why should it even be counted at all???

[edit on 11-10-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldObserver

If they wanted it bad enough they will get it.

Though they will not get my sample form me, with my blessing.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Nat Geo has done a few programs like that.
I remember where they did a genetic screening in the area Otzi the Ice Man was found.
They found that there were still people in the area that were distantly related to him.

It's a volunteer program, and I see no problem with it.

Quite frankly, it's so easy to get your DNA if you've ever been to a doctor or anything, that it's good to see them ask for volunteers instead of taking it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I would love to participate in this study to see where my heritage has come from.

However, if Nat Geo wants to use my DNA for the study, they can pay me the $99. While I may find the information interesting, they are actually using the data.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well seeing as bush passed a law allowing every baby born since 2007 blood be taken at birth i don't think Nat Geo is the big problem.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
My brother actually did this and had my fathers side analyzed, he told my grams we went all the way back to Africa. She's an old English woman and simply said, "thats utterly rediculius!" lol. It was actually pretty cool and is a pretty simple test, all you gotta do it swab the inside of your mouth I think. I'm even thinking of getting my mothers side analyzed. I mean really what the hell are they gonna do with a guys DNA who makes 30k a year? Make a race of middle class Russians that look like Drago from Rocky?

I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
NoJoker your pic is ubelievably frightening lol but yea I thik the stuff nat geo is doing is actually pretty cool and its just another way to show how lame racism of anykind is

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
yeah, i here its the thing to do now in the Jewish communities.... something about ashkenazi blood ... idk

top topics

join