It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens must think American human culture is void of any value

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
[edit on 12-10-2009 by Skeptical Ed]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

You said: " The notion that hip-hop causes crime or violence is completely false. Those problems are problems formed of poverty and depression; if hip-hop never existed these problems would still be there."

These problems were here before, during, and after hip-hop. The added problem is the awful, talentless "music." Hip-hop is an insult to the standard music industry. But, everyone has a right to their taste. It's just not mine.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I doubt most of those bashing hip-hop have actually bothered listening to hip-hop.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
well, someone has to do it, so I will stick up for the aforementioned things...but first off, let me state that I am not a rap music fan or anything, however I do see it as an art form.

Rap music...just because you do not like it doesnt mean its not of cultural value. Consider the standard elements of rap music
materialism, procreation, dangerous neighborhoods, uncaring government, loss of love, overpowered authority...

If it wasnt for the snappy rhyme, slang, cursing, and beat, the lyrics could be a powerful observation of the true nature of mankind...If you were a astronaut monitering another civilization, which form of media would you follow to learn more...standard musical interludes or a observation based lyric describing the current issues with the species as a whole and the base instinct driving force of the majority element of society?

I think ultimately we are a amusing and very culturally rich world, not perfect, but definately worth watching. Are we far off the track insane? without a doubt, but hey...once you know your crazy, you can take measures over time to sort out the issues.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Rap music...just because you do not like it doesnt mean its not of cultural value.

The problem Just Cause has with hip-hop is that it isn't his culture or so he thinks. Hip Hop has had a huge influence on American culture. In the tradition of other forms of American music, hip-hop brought the races together, but did it in ways it had not been done before as hip-hop was a great popularizer of African-American culture*. It can even be argued that hip-hop helped bring about the country's first African-American president.

But because he thinks it isn't part of his culture, because he is an elitist, he looks down on it.

(*Thank Michael Jackson. In the early days, MTV did not play black artists but they wanted to play Jackson. He and Quincy Jones refused to allow MTV to play Jackson's videos unless they played videos of other black artists.)

[edit on 12-10-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
the yogurt in my fridge has got more culture than the United States
Joke

Come over here and say that.

Seriously, do it. We've got a ton of culture.

Despite what you may think, not all of us are philistines.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

They have never heard the insightful words of people like Tupac Shakur and Nas. KRS-One, T.I., there are many greats. They will never know that there is depth to this. They judge without knowing what they judge.

These are the people who think there is only one kind of rap / hip - hop: Soulja Boy.

But he is a pimple on hip-hop's ass to be honest.

There is alot of knowledge in hip-hop.

Originally posted by Skeptical Ed

You said: " The notion that hip-hop causes crime or violence is completely false. Those problems are problems formed of poverty and depression; if hip-hop never existed these problems would still be there."

These problems were here before, during, and after hip-hop. The added problem is the awful, talentless "music." Hip-hop is an insult to the standard music industry. But, everyone has a right to their taste. It's just not mine.

Well, what hip hop have you listened to? And what other types of things are you open to? Because if you are not an open minded persona nd you come from a wildly different time and perspective, it may just be out of your grasp to appriciate.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It really boggles my mind how anyone could think any culture is devoid of any value, especially since most people measure other cultures against theirs to form in and out groups to make themselves feel better.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla
They have never heard the insightful words of people like Tupac Shakur and Nas. KRS-One, T.I., there are many greats. They will never know that there is depth to this. They judge without knowing what they judge.

They've never listened to Talib Kweli or Mos Def. I doubt they've listened to Jay-Z. And I doubt they had no knowledge of who Kanye West is outside of the MTV Music Awards.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to : Electricneo

You're right......again

culture , apart from that in a petrie dish , is something I
can only see in older , isolated communities .
Modern ideas and fractious lifestyles have pushed culture
out. culture is more than a reflection of an individuals perception,
but more like glue , that positively binds the whole community ,
and is usually regulated by the elders of said communities...

[edit on 12-10-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
I doubt most of those bashing hip-hop have actually bothered listening to hip-hop.

I "bash" hip-hop as worthless. My across-the-street neighbor owns a recording studio specializing in hip-hop. I hear the results of recording sessions.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yer it's true America has the spiritual and cultural depth of a puddle of water "But that might be the very same thing that perplexes the aliens!"

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

The real hip-hop or the wannabe crap where the "artist" just takes samples of others hard work and slaps a few words into it and calls it original?

Not attacking your post or anything. Just have no respect for anyone that bases most of their "music" on samples of other peoples songs. That's just pure laziness IMHO.

About Kanye West.....that guys only talent is whining like a spoiled little kid. I've thought that way of him long before the MTV incident ever happened.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by nightmare_david]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

They've never listened to Talib Kweli or Mos Def. I doubt they've listened to Jay-Z. And I doubt they had no knowledge of who Kanye West is outside of the MTV Music Awards.

Though fictitious, this is is the perfect embodyment of what advertised and mass-broadcasted airplayed hip-hop is viewed as by mainstream media: www.myspace.com...

and before you say I am generalizing or judging, flip on MTV for a weekend and catalog everything played, do the same for the top 10 radio stations in the nation. I agree with pretty much all you are saying about insightful words from a certain handful of artists you mentioned but the majority of hip-hop TODAY(not decades past) nearing disclosure in 2009-2010 you must admit is crap or wherever you might categorize people like Britney, Lil' Wayne, Miley and Flo Rida. Explain how their 80-90% of the marketshare of the airwaves their sending garbage signals out into the heavens helps to make a case for humans on a grand world-scale?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Just Cause]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Cause

Though fictitious, this is is the perfect embodyment of what advertised and mass-broadcasted airplayed hip-hop is viewed as by mainstream media: www.myspace.com...

and before you say I am generalizing or judging, flip on MTV for a weekend and catalog everything played, do the same for the top 10 radio stations in the nation. I agree with pretty much all you are saying about insightful words from a certain handful of artists you mentioned but the majority of hip-hop TODAY(not decades past) nearing disclosure in 2009-2010 you must admit is crap or wherever you might categorize people like Britney, Lil' Wayne, Miley and Flo Rida. Explain how their 80-90% of the marketshare of the airwaves their sending garbage signals out into the heavens helps to make a case for humans on a grand world-scale?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Just Cause]

So let me get this right. You're bashing a whole genre of music because the songs that make it mainstream are rubbish? Which I'm sure most hip-hop fans would concede(mainstream being rubbish).

How is that any different than me rubbishing say the entire rock/metal genres because Avril Lavigne and Linkin Park are commercial pish?

Hip Hop like every other genre of music is an art form. And there's good art and bad art. Because the Hip Hop you see on some commercial tv station is garbage proves nothing other than that most people lack taste.

Most good Hip Hop is underground, most good Rock is underground, most good Jazz is underground, most good music period is underground.

If an Alien needed greater understanding of humanity, I'd implore them to listen to some underground Hip Hop artists. They'd learn much more of value from it than they would any other genre, that's without question.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Most are pseudo-intellects who have allegiences to a certain genre or style of music. It's really an irrational and childish way of thinking these people have.

Their knowledge of Hip Hop starts with 50 cent and ends with Eminem. They haven't heard of lyrical wordsmiths like Jehst. And the few that have refuse to give real artists a proper chance. Failing that, they lack the absolute ability to appreciate the art of spoken word.

Hip-Hop is one of the greatest platforms in music for portraying opinion, emotion and perspective. It gives a far greater platform than most genres are capable of.

The fact the genres been hijacked and these so called intelligents and culture-nazis slander Hip-Hop in itself is quite sad.

Now I'm not saying you've got to like this sort of stuff. But it's hardly music of the heathens.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by KingAmongstMen]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightmare_david
Just have no respect for anyone that bases most of their "music" on samples of other peoples songs. That's just pure laziness IMHO.

You mean like the national anthem? It is set to the tune of "To Anacreon in Heaven".

As for sampling...

"Cutting and pasting is the essence of what hip-hop culture is all about for me. It's about drawing from what's around you, and subverting it and de-contextualizing it." —DJ Shadow

This subversion is Just Cause's problem. He believes himself to be in this elite subculture and views hip-hop as a threat.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
wait, what
whos comming out the closet?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightmare_david
Just have no respect for anyone that bases most of their "music" on samples of other peoples songs. That's just pure laziness IMHO.

You mean like the national anthem? It is set to the tune of "To Anacreon in Heaven".

As for sampling...

"Cutting and pasting is the essence of what hip-hop culture is all about for me. It's about drawing from what's around you, and subverting it and de-contextualizing it." —DJ Shadow

This subversion is Just Cause's problem. He believes himself to be in this elite subculture and views hip-hop as a threat.

How can you possibly know what a person believes based on one point of view about a particular fad?

I don't believe myself to be "elite" as you keep stating in every post of yours but thanks for the compliment I guess.

I don't percieve hip hop as a threat, I perceive the mainstream hip hop such as Britney Spears, Ludacris, Kanye, Flo Rida and others who sing about glamourizing sex, booty, "tapping them bitchez" and being lazy on weed in their lyrics as an annoyance and misrepresentation of the human race as a whole.

If you see this as something you want representing you to other races, more power to you. You need it.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
wait, what
whos comming out the closet?

ET

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join