It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKinnon suicidal following U.S. bullying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"Gary McKinnon, the hacker who broke into Pentagon and NASA computers, was at risk of suicide Friday after losing an effort to fight extradition to the United States, his attorney said."

"McKinnon, currently free on bail in England, has said he was simply doing research to find out whether the U.S. government was covering up the existence of UFOs."

"McKinnon has said it was easy for him to access the secret files."

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Oh, this will be convenient. They will suicide him and then they won't have to deal with him any more. Makes me sick.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

Let's keep our heads when dealing with this person! He committed a crime and he has to pay for it. The dealing between nations has nothing to do with the basic crime. He is a criminal.

+54 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skeptical Ed

Let's keep our heads when dealing with this person! He committed a crime and he has to pay for it. The dealing between nations has nothing to do with the basic crime. He is a criminal.

That's all relative. I prefer to call him a freedom fighter. You can talk all you like about how no one is above the law, but thinking in black and white is not always going to work.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by AreaJerm]

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AreaJerm

absolutely right.

the patriots of our day did many things that were considered treason and a crime against the crown. but they did it out of principal.

so he read a few files, the pentagon should hire him to test security lmao

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This guy has pulled out all the stops to get sympathy from people, so he won't have to face his just desserts. He pulls out the sympathy card more than Jessie Jackson and Rev. Al Sharpton pull out the race card.

If he didn't want his butt tossed in prison maybe he shouldn't have been haking our computers. DUH!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

Principles my ass. This guy was just some stoner who decide to hack US government computers. He should go to jail just like anyone else who has been caught doing that.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical Ed

Uhh the extradition angle is not relevant? Would you like to be extradited to another country for committing a crime in your own country? Specially if said country is known for torturing people?

+43 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Is it really a crime?

Lets look at the facts.

NASA is not a government agency, it is paid for by the people, not by the government. So the people have the right to know about everything do do, did, plan to do and found out. If they keep secrets than it is your right to get it out in the open. Its a public organisation, not a governmental agency, so dont #ing cry when you keep secrets and the public is trying to get it out in the open. Its our right!

Instead of taking him to prison, pick up the real badguys. Put Bush in prison, put Cheney in prison, not some guy like McKinnon whom did nothing wrong? He did not harm anyone nor did he ruin the computers or databases he broke into.

Its just so #ing hilarious... Actually its kinda sad. What a sad sad country!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

Once you decide to break the law, the details that follow are par for the course. Responsibility goes with the act. Domestic or international, a crime is a crime. Regardless of the cause, criminal behavior cannot and should not be condoned.

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Isn't hacking defined as theft or sabotage/damage? If so, the perp, in this case, did neither. All McKinnoin did was walk through an open door and peek in. Not his fault if government dips#*^s couldn't secure their own data properly. I wonder what's REALLY the deal with the far too common (especially in the Fourth Reich, I mean "US") violent hatred of McKinnon - putting him basically on par with a serial killer or rapist. Could it be because Gary actually stumbled upon the TRUTH, that there really IS a secret space program with "non-terrestrial officers" etc.? If so, he truly is a freedom fighter, and not anything even vaguely resembling a terrorist.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheNetherlands

Is it really a crime?

Lets look at the facts.

NASA is not a government agency, it is paid for by the people, not by the government. So the people have the right to know about everything do do, did, plan to do and found out. If they keep secrets than it is your right to get it out in the open. Its a public organisation, not a governmental agency, so dont #ing cry when you keep secrets and the public is trying to get it out in the open. Its our right!

Instead of taking him to prison, pick up the real badguys. Put Bush in prison, put Cheney in prison, not some guy like McKinnon whom did nothing wrong? He did not harm anyone nor did he ruin the computers or databases he broke into.

Its just so #ing hilarious... Actually its kinda sad. What a sad sad country!

Yes, it is a crime.

I know that the avalanche will begin as soon as I say this but NASA is a U.S. gov't agency. Our tax money is not doled out to them by us by Uncle Sam and NASA has deep pockets and the DOD makes sure most of that money is spent on their projects, covertly, of course. I'm not a conspiracist but only a fool would argue differently.

I'm not a happy camper in the USA. We have a shameful government that doesn't give a damn about those who support it. Almost every politician is owned by private interests. Trillions are wasted on useless projects that return nothing to those who sweat to support them. Even the church gets our tax dollars. Think of all of the schools, hospitals, textbooks, etc., that could have been erected and purchased with the fast disappearing money that tells us Mars or the Moon or the goddam universe is this or that. We know little about our planet yet we want to colonize other worlds and kill any inhabitants we may find for humans are naturally cruel. Just ask Columbus and those who followed him.

BUT! We still have a justice system that controls our lives with just and unjust laws. Until the unjust laws are replaced by just laws we are all slaves of the system. If you live a lawful life, you don't know trouble. If you violate the laws trouble finds you. McKinnon found the trouble he triggered.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This topic makes me want to scream. I will pray fervently for Gary's mental state and clearly supportive people around him on every side.

It is so grotesque to see the government in the States and in UK doing this to this poor young man. If anything he is a world hero, and the two governments I mentioned which are ruled by unseen figures are the very definition of criminal.

May this man be protected and hidden from the TPTB.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I notice you dodged the question.

By the way I'm not sure how much you know about this case. But the conditions required for extradition did not exist. What i mean is, he caused no damage and the crime was not important enough for extradition. So then somehow they found out that he caused thousands and thousands of dollars of damage. Convenient no?

Crime is a crime, blah blah. Yeah, and it's illegal to extradite someone to a country which uses torture also.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
"poor guy"?

"damn those governaments"?

Are you people even thinking about this?

Just because someone who committed a crime and says "oh, I was just trying to find out about ze alienz, lulz" you just go ahead and forgive him?

This is pathetic. People don't have any way of knowing what he was searching for. For all we know, he could be searching for information for self profit, or worst, some type of attack.

His claims are as good as any other criminal.

If a murder says "I just killed this guy because I wanted to find out if he was a MIB" would you forgive him?

And if this guy was searching for files about YOUR family, would you have the same protective attitude with him?

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi

If a murder says "I just killed this guy because I wanted to find out if he was a MIB" would you forgive him?

Bad analogy is bad.

If his crime was serious he would not be out on bail.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
This topic makes me want to scream. ....May this man be protected and hidden from the TPTB.

I know exactly how you feel!

I always feel this way when this topic comes up and I see the callous, heartless and robotic responses from some members to McKinnon's case.

Yes, technically a 'crime' was committed. He admits that and is willing to face the consequences. But the consequences should be reasonable, legal and humane. He has already faced 'consequences' for years! His life has been ruined! He is a guy with aspergers syndrome who became obsessed with the idea of finding out the truth about UFO's that he felt NASA were hiding. He did no damage (despite lies to the contrary) and didn't even have to 'hack' his way in because security was so lax.

If he has to do jail time, it should be in his own country, where he committed this 'crime' and it should be a reasonable amount - not 60 years, or anything like it, which is what the rabid U.S. system is going after him for. It's cruel, ridiculous and illegal IMO and I hope his appeal to the European Court of Human Rights saves him from these coldhearted idiots baying for his blood in the U.S.

Personally, I think that what he has already been through is more than punishment enough.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

How bad his crime was, if this should carry this way, is a very different discussion from my point. Don't put things in the same bag.

My point is that people take a huge step in supporting and defending this guy just because we are a ufology community.

To me, that's bad.

[edit on 10/10/09 by Tifozi]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi

How bad his crime was, if this should carry this way, is a very different discussion from my point. Don't put things in the same bag.

My point is that people take a huge step in supporting and defending this guy just because we are a ufology community.

To me, that's bad.

[edit on 10/10/09 by Tifozi]

The whole point is that any punishment should fit the actual 'crime'. Your analogies involving murder are preposterous.

People support him

1) Because they feel that when an agency consistently lies about and hides a truth which it is every humans right to know about and which is of incredible importance to all of mankind, then it becomes reasonable to try to uncover the truth by unconventional means.

2) The U.S. are not being reasonable with McKinnon and wish to punish him well beyond what is humane or just and they - in collusion with their 'lapdog' UK Govt. - are twisting and abusing legal loopholes in order to extradite him from his own country where the crime was committed and jail him on foreign soil for up to 60 years!

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Isn't hacking defined as theft or sabotage/damage? If so, the perp, in this case, did neither.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join