It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is your paranoid gun culture...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Yes I agree, that is the point I was making.

(directed to everyone...)

Guns are for cowards and the paranoid. They remove you from the close-up physical act of killing someone. They make you feel brave and powerful. But it's a false sense of security, when it can back-fire on you and get an innocent person killed (scuse the pun).

I can say this with experience, as an expert shot with 45 and 38, and was qualified to carry a sidearm and a 12 gauge, as part of my duties in the military.

Gun advocates say there are other weapons, that's true, but it's much harder to stab someone than shoot with a gun. Ever hear of a drive-by stabbing?

My experience from living in the US for 20 years is a lot of you are very insecure, and again I say this is the fault of your conditioning media, and the way it sensationalises everything.

Is it no wonder neighbours don't even know each other anymore? The media has us scared of our own relatives.

BTW I know this thread was about the use of guns, but it's more than just 'gun control', how about more opinion on the societal aspect of this? Even you gun advocates should be mature and smart enough to not dismiss and ignore the negatives? Or the media sensationalising everything?

I also want to know why you gun owners think it should be your right to own a gun? And please don't just say it's the 2nd amendment, I want to know why. I mean if we are going to claim rights to own things then why should I not have the right to own a 500lb bomb, or two, or why has Iran not the right to have nuclear power? So why are your 'rights' any more precious than others 'rights'? Why do we pick and choose 'rights' without any consistency? I want the right to walk naked in the street, my right wouldn't kill or maim anyone (well maybe a heart attack or two lol).

Do you have a fire extinguisher and or smoke detector in your house? How about wear your seat belt in your car? Locks on your doors? Look both ways before crossing the street? If the answer is yes to any of the questions by your very definition you are paranoid.

See what you and others are doing is lumping all firearm owners into one (very) large pot.

Law abiding gun owners use their firearms for defense. We are not the ones holding up banks or mugging your Grandmother.

Criminals use firearms for offensive or assault hence assault weapons. These are the people mugging your Grandmother.

Here is the kicker, a criminals guns are by law already banned. Guess what? They still have them. So when more gun control come through which one of these groups does it effect?

Well in a way both, It makes the criminals job a lot easier because he/she knows I’m unarmed and there is less of a threat to his safety.

Only law abiding gun owners play by the rules, not criminals.

To answer your question I have and carry firearms for defense. The same reason I wear a seat belt have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. I pray I never have to use them but they are there in case I need to.

Be safe and well armed.

-Al

[edit on 12-10-2009 by AlBeMet]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Yeah. I don't call it paranoia. You wouldn't call an officer carrying a gun paranoid (well maybe a british person would) . You wouldn't call a Marine carrying his M4 on a patrol paranoid.

And yes it is the same thing. A civilian may be less likely to need a gun, but it is for the same reason.

As for the question of why do I feel it is my right to own a gun. I feel this is my right because: a) The government has proven both their corruption and their incompetence several times over. b) You never know when that government will turn on it's own people.

This is the main reason the 2nd amendment exists.

Call it paranoia if you want. That's how I feel.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

We live in a culture too quick to sue you over anything!
If you try to protect your home with booby traps,even inside your home,
you can be sued if the intruder is injured.

I am taking lessons at an armory to shoot guns.I have practiced using
a 38,a 9mm and a 22.I really like shooting a revolver.I will be getting
my C.C.W. certificate later this month.I'm doing things the right way,I'm
taking lessons and going to a firing range for practice.

I want to be able to protect myself and my family.I hope I never have
to shoot anyone,I will if I'm forced to.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
if i had 1 wish to give to humanity it would be the removal of all weapons.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I don't think most of you claiming this is a cultural problem have any type of clue about the "gun culture".

When a moron accidentally shoots his fiancee how can you possibly say it those damn gun owners again?

There's 100 million gun owners in America people. Stop being ignorant to the "gun culture" as you like to call it.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by Xtinguish]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

...and you know every single gun owner in America, do you? Blanket assertions such as you're making are, not to put too fine a point on it, foolish. Yes, there are some idiots out there who misuse, for varying purposes, their firearms. However, the vast majority do not in any shape, fashion, or form misuse theirs...if it were so, the stats would be even worse than they are.

I would submit that you are just as paranoid as you claim those of us who own firearms are.

I'm curious to find out how you equate owning a firearm for any reason is tantamount to cowardise. Do attempt to explain that assertion.

Is someone supposed to just roll over and play dead in a dangerous situation? Or call the cops and hope and pray they show up in time, or at all? Thank you, no... I'll keep hoping and praying that I never have to use my handguns for this purpose, but I'll also be prepared for just that occasion.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lillydale

Originally posted by ANOK
Training should be a no brainer. Is it too easy to own a gun, much like it's too easy to own a drivers license?

That is it right there. I am not sure that anything should ever be banned but there should definitely be tighter restrictions on who can have certain things. Idiots that shoot at any noise downstairs without at least checking to see if your bed is empty are a good example.

Great!
I'm on-board with this plan just as soon as they require people to obtain a parenting license before having children.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AlBeMet

No not at all, being paranoid is being unnecessarily afraid, looking before you cross the road is not.

If you don't cross the road without looking the chances are very good you'll get hit. I'm not going to accidentally hurt someone else by looking before I cross the road.

The chance of accidentally killing your fiance with a gun, pretty high.

Again more people are killed by guns, than guns save lives. So guns are really not saving lives are they? Guns just make you feel brave and safe, sod it if people are getting killed by them. How many people are killed by fire extinguishers?

Sorry but your analogies just don't wash.

Admit it, you like the power you feel when holding your gun, and your reasoning is just excuses.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

So I want to really know. You asked why I feel it is my right to own a gun.

Why do you feel as though I do not (or should not, at least) have this right?

And keep in mind, I'm not a criminal. Explain this to me, while assuming that: I am never going to intentionally misuse a gun, and that I am extremely cautious when handling and storing one.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

So... no more rocks, sticks, fists, feet, heads, trees, water, etc...

We just float in some sort of stasis incapable of moving a muscle?

I love it when incredibly stupid lines pretend to be profound.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Again more people are killed by guns, than guns save lives...

What are the figures and where did you find them?

It is quite apparent to me, from the FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) that the mere possession of firearms by law abiding citizens absolutely deters crime. The numbers do not lie. When you compare the murder rates of Texas, where we can agree many legal gun owners reside, and Washington, DC, which has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, the results are indisputable.

Murders
2008 Texas - 5.6 per 100,000 population
2008 Washington, DC - 31.4 per 100,000 population

Source: www.fbi.gov...

God Bless Texas!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

good luck but numbers fall on deaf ears in this thread...

earlier i supplied numbers showing that accidental gun deaths are really low for the amount of guns in circulation and then the argument turned to "guns are bad mmkay?"

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
the preamble to the bill of rights reads that the bill of rights merely enumerates certain inalienable rights, endowed by our creator.

enumerates means list
inalienable means not able to alienate or seperate from
endowed means it is inborn, from conception, placed there as a natural right, a right bestowed, endowed by the creator.

so the right to self defense is a natural, inborn from conception right. it is not conferred, granted, bestowed, given, allowed, permitted, licensed, examined, bought, (fees), restricted, INFRINGED UPON, or otherwise from one man to another man, or from the government to a man.

the same is true of speech, religion, security in home and effects, and other enumerated inalienable rights in the bill of rights.

if i misspelled anything in this post it is the computers fault.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

I could not have said it better myself ... thank you. Any Brit or Aussie need not post here... your government already usurped you. So leave American matters to Americans. That being said ... Anyone who thinks gun owners are out to shoot anyone who doesnt agree with them think again ... simply becuase the person standing next to you is a gun owner

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Thanx for the replies. They are genuine questions I asked, not being American it's hard for me to understand the reasoning behind this claim of 'rights' you always talk about.

Still seems to me though that 'rights' in America are still very inconsistent.

I understand the natural desire to protect oneself, I also understand that it's Human nature to over react to a given situation, needing guns to protect when other methods could be developed, killing your fiance because your brain instantly said 'intruder', the over reaction caused by a society fed on media hysteria that caused an easily avoidable death for example.

But it's more than that, it's a society that would actually LIKE guns and make up stupid claims like 'from my dead cold hands' or whatever that blowhard garbage is, that is what gives me a head shaker. What are you protecting exactly, your life or the gun? Too many John Wayne movies! I told you it's all the medias fault. It's created a fantasy society that has lost all grasp of reality. We are now living in that John Wayne movie...

Man has a gun to protect himself, so the criminal gets a bigger gun, where does the cycle of violence end? Arming yourself to the teeth is PART of the problem, not the solution.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet
Do you have a fire extinguisher and or smoke detector in your house? How about wear your seat belt in your car? Locks on your doors? Look both ways before crossing the street? If the answer is yes to any of the questions by your very definition you are paranoid.

I have and do all of that because it's a legal or contractual requirement in my country.

Is it a legal requirement to carry a gun in your country?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
I could not have said it better myself ... thank you. Any Brit or Aussie need not post here... your government already usurped you. So leave American matters to Americans. That being said ... Anyone who thinks gun owners are out to shoot anyone who doesnt agree with them think again ... simply becuase the person standing next to you is a gun owner

It does happen though. When was the last time you heard about a Brit using his smoke detector on somebody who doesn't agree with him?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

You do realise that the 2nd amendment is expressed in terms of a militia, not about individual private citizens, do you?

E.g. people may join together to form a militia (an army formed by private citizens) and that militia may carry guns to protect the security of a free state. That is not nearly the same thing as that private citizens may carry guns outside of a militia to protect only themselves.

[edit on 14/10/2009 by moniker]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have to agree with Anok in his observation of how the american situation appears to us outsiders living in more moderate communities.

Originally posted by conspiracyrus

I could not have said it better myself ... thank you. Any Brit or Aussie need not post here... your government already usurped you. So leave American matters to Americans.

For the record, we Aussies have not been disarmed. Severe restrictions have been applied on rapid fire automatic weapons like assault rifles or anything with automatic loading action, pump action shotguns and the like but I could go to the nearest gun shop (5 minutes away) and purchase an 'approved' rifle, which would be a bolt action, and ammo as long as I'm licensed and have approval to so (which I do) like having the lockable storage facilities which need to be regularly inspected.

I have had military training in the use of weapons and used to own a number of firearms that I used only for sporting (target) competitions at recognized venues (that still exist). And yet, now I have none of them IE no firearms of any type whatsoever and WHY? not because the government disarmed me but simply because I didn't need them here. Coupled with the worry of having children and weapons in the house I elected to get rid of all of them voluntarily even though I could have legally kept half the weapons I owned. Yes I loved the things, lavishing huge amounts of time to cleaning, lubricating, blueing, caring for the stocks and actions, sighting them in on the range etc etc. They were safe in my hands but having them here meant the possibility of them getting into the hands of someone less careful so I simply turned them all in - something like giving up smoking cold turkey. I did receive compensation for the banned weapons I turned in which made it easier to do.

I'm happy to leave this American matter to the Americans and I'm confident you'll work out eventually what's best for you and your nation overall.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by moniker

Originally posted by Miraj

You do realise that the 2nd amendment is expressed in terms of a militia, not about individual private citizens, do you?

E.g. people may join together to form a militia (an army formed by private citizens) and that militia may carry guns to protect the security of a free state. That is not nearly the same thing as that private citizens may carry guns outside of a militia to protect only themselves.

[edit on 14/10/2009 by moniker]

You are incorrect.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. ___ (2008) is a landmark legal case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for private use.

en.wikipedia.org...

Keep safe

-Al

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join