It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear, What are you scared of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Definition:
Fear -
1.) a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.
2.) a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights.
3.) concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.
4.) reverential awe, esp. toward God.
5.) that which causes a feeling of being afraid; that of which a person is afraid.

source, (dictionary.reference.com...)

Success -
1.) the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.
2.) the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
3.) a successful performance or achievement: The play was an instant success.
4.) a person or thing that is successful: She was a great success on the talk show.
5.) Obsolete. outcome.

source, (dictionary.reference.com...)

Someone once told me that a successful person does what their most scared of everyday. Does that apply in your case? Do you, as defined by yourself succeed? What is your definition of success? If you agree with me on the above statement, then what are you currently scared of the most, and how are you going to confront it? I believe destroying the beast known as fear is an integral part of our evolution as a species.

My current definition of success as it applies to my current life situation is as follows.

Fear -
1.) Going to court on thursday and obtaining a new court date.
2.) Telling my girlfriend that I could very possibly be in love with her.

Success -
1.) Getting a court date, and or a plea bargain that I have been working for. The possibility of beating the state in trail. *cheers*
2.) Possibly falling completely in love and getting married, or breaking up and finding the right person.

Failure -
1.) Not getting a new court date and remain on the run for 7 years. *puke*
2.) Remain oblivious to my relationship and ending up in a stalemate for an extended period of time, or the possibility of my girlfriend getting frustrated with me and opting out.

These are just a few examples of my own personal view of fear and how it could possibly affect my life. Would anyone care to take us deeper into the abyss that is fear?

P.S. - Might be in the wrong section feel free to move.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by onequestion]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've always loved this line from DUNE:

"Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Only I will remain."

It makes a great mantra when you're FREAKING OUT.

However, I think one point I'd add is that fear gets a bad rap, by the very nature of what it is. But what if fear (balanced in our lives with other things) weren't such an evil as it gets labeled for?

See, fear is a built-in warning tool and lifesaver ultimately. When we are afraid of something, it sends the body into certain biological responses that serve us quite well. Example: We see a big rock about to fall on our heads, fear kicks in and coupled with instinct, shoots adrenalin through our body causing us to attempt to quickly jump out of harm's way.

Fear is a balancing agent. While we are, as human beans, cut to learn and explore (adventuresome and curious), fear keeps us from plunging headlong off every cliff or rushing blindly into EVERY dark cave we encounter. So yes, while fear in an unbalanced status, isn't very positive, neither is "happy happy joy joy" constantly a state we could live in either.

It's all about balance bayh-bee!

Oh, and for the record, right now I'm afraid of:

death by burning alive - I'm a real chicken-ship when it comes to extreme pain and I think this would be the WORST way to die (or one of them anyway). It's the one thing that haunts me still (of many) from watching the news coverage of September 11th. I watched those poor people leaping from those burning towers and wept, unstopping, for hours

heights - I'm working on this one cause it's an unbalanced fear that keeps me from doing some things I think might be really fun/interesting

flying - Likely tied to the similar fear of heights, I need to work on this - but money makes it one I can't just charge off and "face" on a daily basis for now.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Skeptical_Seeker]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
SPIDERS!

There just creepy...

Other then that, just death, some on here call it an irrational fear, but umm, I especially don't want to die!

The last one would be, getting revoked and spending five yrs in prison... by the way, good luck with court, its pretty scary I know.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

is your fear of death caused by one the fact of being dead or two the act of dying? death is not something people should fear it is part of life from the moment you are born you are dying. im a just wondering why people would fear death. i currently have to deal with the fact that i might dye and it does not bother me to be dead i fear the act of dying more.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I am afraid of people who use fear mongering as a means to get people to react to their will, or to control.

The Charles Manson types, and people who start gloom and doom threads predicting a date, that always comes and goes, like any other day!

top topics

join