It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A reveiw of 'Paranormal Activity'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I saw the film last night and truly enjoyed it, from beginning to the stunning end. As I stated in another thread, there are people who will think a movie is garbage simply because there are not enough “oooh’s and agghhhs” created by CGI or special effects. I on the other hand love a good story that is well acted.

The movie is quite simple really; a young couple faces odd happenings during the evenings and go through great lengths to document and determine what it is that is becoming a greater and greater issue. It is revealed in the film that the female character ‘Katie’ has been experiencing these strange occurrences since the age of 8. The couple brings in a medium to try to determine what the best course of action is to rid the young couple of this growing problem.

The medium quickly realizes that he is ill equipped to handle this type of “haunting’ and refers the couple to a demonologist. He also suggests that the entity feeds off of negativity and fear. The couple then decides to take matters into their own hands first, study up on people who have faced similar issues before they consult a demonologist. This is where this begin to spiral out of control.

This is not a Blair Witch Project rip off as some have stated, this is an entirely different movie going experience. I admit that I enjoyed The Blair Witch Project, I took the film for what it was, a damn good story. The only similarities between the two films are that they are both told from the main characters’ perspective via a home video camera.

You will find this movie tremendous if you love a well told story. However, if you are easily distracted, and cannot get into a film with out millions of dollars spent on special effects, I would recommend that you skip it.

By the way, the ending of this film is much more gratifying than The Blair Witch Project (although I enjoyed the ending of that film as well) but that was the big knock against that film if you recall. Remember, the premise was that the students were missing for many years and a team of students found their footage. If you got into the story you not going to expect a perfect ‘wrap it all up’ type ending. The footage was what it was.

Again, I highly recommend this film only for those who have a decent attention span, and enjoy getting engrossed in a good story.

Thanks to Whaa for suggesting I write a review is this forum.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by TheDarkHorse]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDarkHorse

Well done! Review styles differ and this is a good one.

I haven't seen this film but based on this review; I plan to in the near future. Thanks TDH!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I did want to see this but there hasn't been a uk release yet.

It's been on and off for ages.

It's now supposed to be the 27th nov.... but I'm not holding my breath.
www.dreadcentral.com...

IMDB still has no date for UK release

Looks cool though.

If anyone knows somewhere i can watch it online... point me in the right direction, thanks

[edit on 10/10/09 by blupblup]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Good movie. I give the filmmaker credit for completing a good feature length story for $15g's. This is a great feet, but it adds nothing to the film quality. I am not going to give it special treatment.
www.belowtopsecret.com...
The ending was good, and it indeed was scary. The characters were also very believable, which is hard to do in that budget range.

The use of the hand held DV camera is common for low-low-low budget films like this and Blair Witch because it is the cheapest way to shoot something. In films like 'Cloverfield' it is just an obvious gimmick.

Oren Peli, the writer/director did a lot with the resources available and has created one of the best horror films of late. This does, however, say more about the horror films that have come out than 'Paranormal Activity'.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Great review, really looking forward to seeing this film, I cant remember the last good ghost film I watched, been so long.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I saw the movie tonight, and I really enjoyed it. One thing though, was this supposed to be a true story? Because they sure made it look like it was based on real events. I don't want too say too much to ruin it for anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Luckily, I saw a special on the SciFi channel before going to see Blair Witch. The "special" was such that it treated it like a REAL legend, and so, going to see the movie with that in mind, the film was MUCH better in experience, than the film really warranted...(it only came out a little later that it was all a fiction)...

I'm curious to see this new film though...as I love horror movies, especially those with more "creep-out" factor than just gore or suspense... Just from the review, sounds like a classic poltergeist case, (especially with the activity centering around a young adolescent)...but then again, alleged cases of "demonic" activity do also... Chances are, the story is an amalgamation of a few different actual cases, or at least loosely based on the author's actual researched cases.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
I saw the movie tonight, and I really enjoyed it. One thing though, was this supposed to be a true story? Because they sure made it look like it was based on real events. I don't want too say too much to ruin it for anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

I think they took a sort of blair witch approach to it...making you think it was based on real events without actually saying it was based on them - when in all reality - it never happened
(at least in these exact circumstances...)

My wife and I just got back from watching it.

This movie was amazing.

There was almost constant silence from a completely crowded theater the entire time.

I was setting next to a few guys who kept screaming like they were girls - though i think most of it was pre-pubescent stupidity...but regardless, this was a great movie.

Don't let the snobbery and holier than thou movie "critics" say otherwise.

If you want to remember what it's like to be 9 years old in a dark room without a night light...go see this movie.

Gave me chills several times.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I also saw a sneak peak of Blair Witch Project before it was widely reported that it was indeed fiction. It made for a very creepy movie going experience. I knew going in that this film was fiction (or an embellishment of th writer's childhood memories).
Either way I loved it and look forward to seeing it once again.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I saw this movie last Friday, and I was just ITCHING to watch it since the viral marketing scheme that was released months before.

I give it an eight out of ten!

It probably would have been a lot scarier for me if my boyfriend's joker buddy didn't narrate the whole film with his sick sense of humor. We had women in front of us jumping and screaming, and I personally was biting my fingers during some of the scenes.

I think it's scary because it looks credible, as if it really could be video footage from someones crappy camera.

I'd say it's much scarier than The Blair Witch Project, and there are some good laughs throughout since the couple that star in the film have a great sense of humor.

It's worth the twelve bucks

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Malzypants

It’s funny that you would bring that up. I took a friend to see the film again last night and sadly it was an entirely different movie going experience. We were surrounded by clowns who felt compelled to make “witty comments” through the entire film. Especially during the portions of the film where the film maker was building the tension, although my friend really enjoyed the film, it just didn’t have the same impact this time around because of a lot of obnoxious people.

The first night I saw it the theater was packed, every seat taken and the crowed was much more respectful to the other movie goers. We all got so into the movie and it was a lot of fun. Last night was completely different, even though there wasn’t nearly the amount of people there. The disappointing thing was that it wasn’t like it was just one or two people who were disruptive, there were dozens!

I felt compelled to apologize to my friend because the film was absolutely ruined by these knuckle-heads.

I don’t know if this is because I’m just getting older and I don’t go to the movies simply for something to do anymore. I only go to the cinema if there is a film that really grabs my attention. More often then not, I’ll just rent the DVD or Blue Ray.

Anyway, it just makes me so angry when I drop my hard earned money on what I already know is a great film, spend around $478.00 on a soda and a bag of M&Ms only to have my entire evening ruined by people who weren’t raised properly.

Am I a couple of years away from yelling at kids to get off my lawn? Or keeping their baseball when it lands on my porch? Am I becoming my father?

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I'm freaking out right now!

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I saw it last night. I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was scary. The way people were talking about it on the radio and internet I thought it would be a little more creepy than it was.

But I still enjoyed it.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
ok.. i just got done seeing the movie; to me, it was real deal. Here's why.

There are no credits to anyone 'making' the movie except for what is mentioned at the beginning. According to the Actors Union (and don't have time to link all the info on this point) you MUST list EVERYONE in making the movie or you will be fined .. HEAVILY!

Just ask Spielberg when he made Star Wars; he didn't run the credits at the beginning but rather at the end after asking the actors union (?) if it was alright to do so. They said 'yes' but fined him 100,000.00$ afterwords.

Personally, either 1 of 2 things could only happen. 1). It's true or 2). someone PAID HUGE $$$$$$$$$$$$ to get it on the screen.

I for one KNOW it's true. I've actually have been personally involved with casting out demons and thank God it's only been twice. Been around it some enough to know people can NOT make this up. I personally know pastors that have had to cast them out but it took 5 grown men to hold the person down, one elder which was 6ft tall 260lbs and threw him against the wall like a rag doll.

The entity inside the person spoke but the person's mouth never open. I know this to be true!

People want to think it's just a hoax or 'movie' because if they knew the truth they would mess in their pants and run screaming to the nearest pastor/priest for redemption!

I personally know of a woman who is a friend that had 26 demons inside her, I knew her when she had them and her pastor, who wasn't then, cast them out in the parking lot. You'd never know it to this day.

the scripture that first came to my mind was

1Pe 5:8 Be clear-minded and alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 1Pe 5:9 Resist him and be firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering.
ISV

in this movie, I'd say he found his prey. I feel so sorry for the couple in the movie. I also thought of the Nephlim; and I won't go into why I think that is because it's a personal matter and rather not spur rampant paranoia in someone.

My only thought was after the first breaking point in the movie where they KNEW it was there, they should have left and went to the police to get 24/7 surveillance. THAT was the only thing that was fishy to me.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
In every instance I've seen in the media, the film makers make no claims that it is a real story, and contend that it is fiction.

Indeed, Katie Featherston, the actress, can be easily referenced on imdb, and even has a movie in post-production (Walking Distance)...

It could of course, be BASED on a true story, but more likely is loosely based on similar cases, not an actual case. (or that film would be worth some bucks)...

This is not to detract from alleged demonology cases...

Personally, I enjoyed the movie (the rest of the audience didn't seem to, feeling it was too Blair Witch...from the comments)...but then, it was on a Sunday, and wasn't a crowded theater. The last bit (NOT REALLY A SPOILER, but I'll add it anyhow) (the face) was a bit on the cheesy side, but all in all, it was well done, and did a good job of building up the creep factor, and suspense. Fair warning though, it is a bit slow in the beginning of the film...so expect it...

If you enjoyed Blair Witch, you'll like it. If you didn't, but almost did, you'll like it. If you didn't like it at all, you won't like this one either.....

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
ok.. i just got done seeing the movie; to me, it was real deal. Here's why.

There are no credits to anyone 'making' the movie except for what is mentioned at the beginning. According to the Actors Union (and don't have time to link all the info on this point) you MUST list EVERYONE in making the movie or you will be fined .. HEAVILY!

Just ask Spielberg when he made Star Wars; he didn't run the credits at the beginning but rather at the end after asking the actors union (?) if it was alright to do so. They said 'yes' but fined him 100,000.00$ afterwords.

Personally, either 1 of 2 things could only happen. 1). It's true or 2). someone PAID HUGE $$$$$$$$$$$$ to get it on the screen.

First off all George Lucas made Star Wars not Steven Spielberg. But you’re right; he (Lucas) was fined for running the foreshadowing script at the beginning of each movie rather than the credits. This is one of the reasons he is an independent film maker today and not part of Directors Guild of America. He refused to alter his film so he was eventually fined.

As far as Paranormal Activity, it is a work of fiction. A very creepy work of fiction. A well acted, well put together, work of fiction. I really liked it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Also, the screen play was written by Oren Peli, who also directed the film. He is now writing and directing a film called Area 51. It appears as if Mr. Peli has found his niche.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I finally saw this film and it didn't even come close to living up to the hype.

The ending was so predictable. But on the positive side the dialog was believable, and the concept was pretty good.

Hand held camera technique really doesn't add anything and to me detracts and is annoying.

Kati Featherston, besides being a cute, real looking woman can act!
There were a few moments when the direction for her could have been a little sharper. I can't wait to see her in something more challenging.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Whether you liked the film or not you have to applaud them.

$15,000 to make... and its already made:
$100,000,000.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i just watched it last night and i thought it sucked.
lame on all fronts. not scary or creepy or anything...
1 out of 10

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It's definitely one of those love it or hate it genres....

There were a few moments when the direction for her could have been a little sharper

Most of it was ad-libbed, with very little direction, only some basic premise setup. The acting was what really made the film work though...(and each actor was paid only $500), but I hear the producer is working towards getting them both paid more handsomely....

To be honest, I liked some parts of the original ending better than Speilberg's suggestion (which is in theaters)... Ideally, there would be a combination of the scare scene of Speilberg's ending idea with the original story ending, but that's just me...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join