It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How too send hidden files embedded in a simple image

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
what I'm about to show you is nothing new... we tech types have been hiding text in backgrounds and images for nearly a decade... I want to say it was five years ago we learned a special trick to hide a compressed archive file in an image... some in the tech community think this was how the terrorist were passing along info...
Anyway watch the video, its easier than it looks... the thing to keep in mind here is file size. if you ever download an image that seems to big it probably has a hidden file embed...

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I had read about this, but didn't know how it was done, nor did I have any need for this function so I didn't even try looking it up.

Thanks for posting the tutorial! It's easier than I thought it would be.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Most people will never need or want to do this... I've done it only to see if it works, it does... theirs also a warning here... if you knew how you could, and people have, embedded viruses in images....

Still think how simple it is for TPTB to send information openly right under everyone's noses, say this months playboy centerfold... and only those who know, would know, there was a hidden message there...

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I do not care for this, but this is why i never download pictures. People seem to find ways to manipulate everything these days.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This isn't a particularly good way to try to hide something. Finding texts "hidden" like this is childishly simple. It might be good for hiding stuff from family members or something, but it would be useless against law enforcement people or most people with good computer skills.

There are tools that allow you to encrypt your files. Some of these encryption programs are quite secure, and many are free. One excellent choice is called PGP (Pretty Good Privacy). Another is called GPG. Although GPG was originally developed for Linux systems, there is a Windows version available, called GPG4Win.

Whatever system you decide to use, you should be aware that the illusion of security is worse than no security at all.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
being retired from 15 years in the computer world...all i have to say is this..."if it can be written, it can be read"...nothing, nada, no program, no security, can offer 100% protection.
the only thing that protects people, is the sheer massive amount of data that eventually has to have someones eyes to see it. even with code word/phrase analysis, there are still eyes that have to see it and act on it. this takes time and money...and a damn good reason to justify both of those being used.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Yeah that is a pretty cool trick, i think i saw this awhile back.

I wouldn't use it for anything rather large, like say, your Jenna Jameson collection. LOLz

I personally use TrueCrypt, its pretty nifty.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If you think that's so cool, an image can be hidden within an image, 2 different images, showing 1 picture. Can be accessed with a few keys, a command, or whatever. Switch between them as much as you'd like. Just a .jpg file.

[edit on 10-10-2009 by 3Rotary]

new topics

top topics

join