It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cartels Face an Economic Battle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
October 07, 2009
ARCATA, Calif. -- Stiff competition from thousands of mom-and-pop marijuana farmers in the United States threatens the bottom line for powerful Mexican drug organizations in a way that decades of arrests and seizures have not, according to law enforcement officials and pot growers in the United States and Mexico.

Illicit pot production in the United States has been increasing steadily for decades. But recent changes in state laws that allow the use and cultivation of marijuana for medical purposes are giving U.S. growers a competitive advantage, challenging the traditional dominance of the Mexican traffickers, who once made brands such as Acapulco Gold the standard for quality.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Very interesting that the so called 'War on Drugs" isn't working, it seems nothing gets done unless we the people do it. Of course the PTB would never think of legalizing marijuana and solve the problem.

Was not sure where to post this?

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Interesting. Thanks for posting and I hope this doesn't get deleted because of it having to do with drugs.

I've always been for legalizing marijuana. When I was growing up just about everyone I knew did it...from the nerds, the jocks, and the trouble makers. Many people do it...most don't let anyone know they do because it's illegal and can ruin your social status.

This would not end the drug war if it were legalized...but it would slow it down...still lots of drugs out there...BAD ONES.

Not to mention..it would be a huge boost to the economy as the money would STAY HERE. WE'D PRODUCE SOMETHING AGAIN. The government could tax it. It's an untapped money source that is just being thrown away. We could put new tariffs on imports of it as well.

Just legalize it!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

i wonder how much of the economy it is supporting right now? does anyone have any stats we could see on this? or have the ability to crunch some numbers on this?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

i wonder how much of the economy it is supporting right now? does anyone have any stats we could see on this? or have the ability to crunch some numbers on this?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I am in the health care field and my interest is Medical for the most part, I have many clients currently on medical marijuana as part of their treatment.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I know someone in Michigan who is going to be on medical Marijuana...so he tells me. I didn't know michigan was a medical marijuana state till recently when he told me about it.

He has Chromes Disease.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I am sorry about your friend David, hope he does well, also hope he stays off meat and diary which compromises the immune system.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Funny about one of my clients, she was a heavy smoker for years and had such a hard time quiting about 10 years ago, who knew one she would be using medical marijuana.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

This may answer some of your questions.

Medical Marijuana
By Jared Moré, May 11th 2009 ShareThis

The debate continues. Should the United States legalize medical marijuana or not? After years of discussions and sometimes heated arguments, it is hard to say if our country is any closer to a consensus about this topic today than we were years ago. In fact, more and more people seem to be joining the debate, with economists now taking sides as they predict how legalizing the drug would affect the recession our country is going through.

Legalize it

On the one hand we have those that say we should legalize marijuana as soon as possible, or at least allow medical marijuana to be sold and used by patients, with some regulations. Some people, filled with empathy for those suffering with an illness such as AIDS or cancer, believe that marijuana can provide relief for symptoms and pain of these diseases. In fact, the American Public Health Association, American Nurses Association, and other medical groups support the use of medical marijuana for those that are seriously ill.

www.treatmentsolutionsnetwork.com...

top topics

join