It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roger Beachy: GM crop pioneer now US farm science chief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Roger Beachy: GM crop pioneer now US farm science chief

www.newsci entist.com

US farm research is getting a shake-up with the creation of a National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) to fund academic agricultural research. Its director is plant scientist Roger Beachy, whose research led to the first genetically modified crop. Just two days into the job, Beachy spoke to New Scientist about his ties to the crop biotech industry and how he plans to cut farming's contribution to global warming.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I know I should not be overly cynical about who gets placed in policy-making positions by our government....

Yet I can't help but feel this is not good news.

This news announcement (which reads like a Madison Avenue political press release) starts with the following Q&A:

Some scientists and environmental activists are worried about your close ties to the plant biotechnology industry, in particular to Monsanto. How do you respond?

I have never worked for Monsanto or any other company. I've always been in the public sector. However, as I've done my work I've always sought to have a way for it to have it be useful. If a company licenses a technology that I have invented, the likelihood is that it will reach the consumer. At Washington University in St Louis I was one of a large number of scientists that received research grants from Monsanto. But when I went to the Scripps Research Institute in California in the 1990s I had no contact with Monsanto for 10 years

While he may not have been on Monsato's payroll, that doesn;t mean he hasn't worked with them, or collaborated with their research or peer reviewed any of their articles....

but never mind that ....

He seems to by oriented towards - you guessed it global warming...,

Much of the problem comes from nitrogen fertilisers, which release the greenhouse gas nitrous oxide. So we need to ensure that we have crops developed that have the strongest possible transport mechanisms to get the nitrogen from the soil into the plant.

So at least he'll be loved by that blossoming trade industry....

How will NIFA help increase crop yields in the developing world?

We hope that the private sector could also become involved in donating technologies. The project that is being done by CIMMYT, the international wheat and corn centre in Mexico, along with Monsanto to develop drought-tolerant corn for Africa is a wonderful partnership. I would like to see other companies do the same thing.

Hey... there's that name again .... Monsanto....

Of course, they forgot to add the parenthetical phrase ("for whom I've never worked")

This person would be a prime target for a serious journalist to interview regarding the CODEX, don't you think?

I can dream, can't I?

www.newsci entist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Indeed very pertinent point you make. While Beachy may not have "worked for" Monsanto he is known for his work "with" Monsanto.

Shah, who led research at the Gates Foundation before the Obama administration named him to his USDA post, said he will use his role as ”Chief Scientist” to focus resources around priority areas, seeking breakthroughs in food safety, food security, climate change, biofuels and human nutrition. [...] The USDA also will formally establish the National Institute of Food and Agriculture [...] led by Roger Beachy [...] known for his pioneering research in genetically modified crops, and his work with Monsanto Co.

www.genet-info.org...

So who does he think he is fooling...oh wait. This is the Adminitration you dont have to fool, you just lie to them and they believe it - or at least that is the face they put on. In reality it is all part of the corrupt corporate takeover before we leave our beloved Republic behind.

Like Geithner Timmy the Tax Cheat. He has the full confidence of President Obama even though is he recently caught having 80 or more private converstations with many different banks and financial institutions. Nothing strange going on there...nothing at all!

In the world of GMO, and Monsanto you are either for it, or against it.
There is no middle ground. Too bad we as citizens are not as smart as the chickens who refuse to eat the GMO corn.

S&F!

[edit on 9-10-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This news is horrifying but sadly perfectly predictable. I wonder how long it will take the U.S. Americans to wake up and realise that those in government, in the secret government, and the corporate 'heads' are their enemies to the death.

When they do realise this, I pray they will not launch into violence or protest marches because that plays into the hands of the demons at the top. The most powerful and empowering thing an U.S. American can do is to simply stop cooperating with government at whatever and whichever levels a citizen has connexion to the government.

Make the machine malfunction through your endless creativity, USAmericans. And bring your overlords to their knees.

new topics

top topics

join