It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider could test hyperdrive propulsion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

The world's most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), could be used to test the principles behind hyperdrive, a possible future form of spacecraft propulsion that could drive spacecraft at a good fraction of the speed of light.

From Physorg.com: Large Hadron Collider could test hyperdrive propulsion
This is exciting! This is the kind of science I hopes would come out of the LHC, not to mention the search of the Higgs Boson.

Now a physicist in the U.S., Franklin Felber, has taken Hilbert's almost forgotten proposal and reversed it, calculating the repulsion should be mutual, with relativistic particles also repelling the stationary mass. Felber suggests this hypervelocity propulsion could be used to propel a stationary mass to a sizeable proportion of the speed of light.

Felber has also suggested his theory could be tested in the LHC, since it will be able to accelerate particles sufficiently to generate the repulsive force. Felber wants to install a resonant test mass beside the particle beam line inside the LHC and measure the tiny forces produced in it by the accelerated particles passing by. The mass would not interfere with the beam, and hence would not disrupt the LHC's normal operations

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a345554438a4.jpg[/atsimg]

I hope they get that monster up and running soon so they can get down to the nitty gritty of theoretical physics!

-E-

[edit on 9-10-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Very interesting, thanks for bringing this to our attention! S/F...

Although they are only talking about "a sizable portion of the speed of light" and thus I feel they used the term "hyperdrive" in a erroneous manner, since "hyperdrive" is considered to be a propulsion that goes faster than the speed of light by many. Either way this is GREAT news, the LHC shows promise that it can open up some MAJOR scientific breakthroughs if used right. This is the kind of research I want to see out of the LHC, if we can even get to 25% the speed of light, that would DRASTICALLY change our world because we could readily explore our solar system in a very quick amount of time, to even the farthest bodies in our system. Great news E, thanks again for sharing.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Thanks Jkrog, I venture to think that this technology, or better, is already available (if you know the right people), but maybe the fact that scientists, not in the know, are acknowledging the possibilities will help people to accept the idea that people like David Adair are not lying!

-E-

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
SHOTGUN!!!

which means i get the first ride!!

this is sweet, i hope it works.

and i really really really hope they uphold the shotgun rule.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

SHOTGUN IS THE UNWRITTEN LAW OF THE UNIVERSE
course theyll up hold it ^_^

Moving on.
Is it me for does this remind everyone else of that episode of south park XD

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
My only quandary is can we really predict what exactly will happen when we accelerate two particles to the speed of light and then ram them into each other?

I would say we wouldn't have built this if we did. What happens if there are unforeseen consequences. A lot of unexpected things could happen when messing with stuff like this.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
No need to worry much about this. All of the physicists double checking the mathematics are banking that when they make a high speed collision in the accelerator, that all of the energy created burns out before consuming anything outside of the experiment.
I apologize, after reading this over i realize it doesnt sound very comforting after all.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
SHOTGUN!!!

which means i get the first ride!!

this is sweet, i hope it works.

and i really really really hope they uphold the shotgun rule.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by mahtoosacks]

Nope, shotgun means you will ride in the passenger's seat, so you can hang out the window and shoot the shotgun while someone else drives. You earn the good seat by using the shotgun.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ever since I read about them here I've been following the infrequent youtube uploads of "Nasajim108." Up until now I've considered the videos to be the production of either a paranoid schizophrenic, or an art student, but while watching the video titled "Dying Nasa Scientist on the Alien Origin Of Materialism" I noticed this rather esoteric message on the frame located at 1:33

"There once was a man from CERN
Who wanted the earth to Burn
While out in his yard
Twas pulled into a car
and a very big lesson he learned"

There is also a quick picture of a particle accelerator in this video.

Now for the weird part:

www.timesonline.co.uk...

This is an article titled:

Nuclear engineer from Cern lab arrested for al-Qaeda links

The article is dated October 10th 2009, the video is dated August 26th 2009.

When I realized the similarity it gave me goosebumps.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Should be worth noting that the reason it's called the Large Hadron Collider is because it's the largest of it's kind. The science behind them is pretty sound.

Particle Accelerator

Hadron Colliders

As for why we're making them bigger... well, similarly, the bigger telescope give us better information.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Great find!

This is the kind of stuff I live for.

The more science discovers the closer we get to the reality of interstellar travel. Practical interstellar travel that is and in the public eye too.

While it is almost certain someone else has it they probably aren't going to share (or share and keep it a secret............bastards!)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I just read this at the following link.

www.technologyreview.com...

It sounds plausible, but then they say nothing about how they plan to minimise the tidal forces which will certainly black out, paralize, and even kill a man when obtaining such speeds, not to mention rip the ship apart. But it is a good start.

Let's see what comes of this experiment.

If anyone finds anything new about this, keep us informed.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
My only quandary is can we really predict what exactly will happen when we accelerate two particles to the speed of light and then ram them into each other?

I would say we wouldn't have built this if we did. What happens if there are unforeseen consequences. A lot of unexpected things could happen when messing with stuff like this.

Look at it like this. Humanity is a person driving a car, we have the lights on the radio up we're paying attention. We even have a seat belt called bureaucracy. That's the best we can do. Do we stay at home so we are safe or do we risk greater things? Life doesn't come with a seat belt.

new topics

top topics

join