It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient tombs threatened by quarrying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

AMMAN - Ancient burial chambers in the Jordan Valley are being threatened by modern development and may be demolished, according to an international report released this week.

The dolmens foothills of Damiyah were listed among 77 endangered sites around the world on the World Monuments Fund (WMF) annual watch list.

Damiyah, located in the northern Jordan Valley, is home to hundreds of dolmens, megalithic table-shaped block formations, which some experts believe may date back to the Chalcolithic period, around 4500-3500BC.

www.jordantimes.com...

It seems some countries don't care about our past, seems if we don't learn about the past how do know what we are today.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Oct 13 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

In general stereotype Muslim nations don't have a high regard for pre-Islam civilizations and except for Egypt the interest in the past is minor.

Development in poorly developed countries tends to take first importance.

Hey some recovery archaeology then.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I know you're right, I get carried away with my passion for ancient archeology, my mentor is Graham Hancock among others..it always excites me when technology is discovered from our distant past and proves we have been there, done that.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Howdy Aquarius1

Archaeology is also a passion of mine however the journalist Graham Hancock is not one of my mentors. If you are really interested in it you may wish to spread your vision a bit more and taken in real archaeology instead of the pseudoarchaeology spread about by Graham. Comparison is always good.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

My vision isn't limited to Graham Hancock, he was the one who got me interested again after hearing him in some interviews many years back.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Howdy Aquarius1

Archaeology is also a passion of mine however the journalist Graham Hancock is not one of my mentors. If you are really interested in it you may wish to spread your vision a bit more and taken in real archaeology instead of the pseudoarchaeology spread about by Graham. Comparison is always good.

I believe that Graham Hancock is much more than a journalist Hanslune, he has done much research to back up much of what he says, more importantly from a layments point of few he generates much interest,

top topics

join