It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study urges parents to give kids booze allowance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

LONDON — Parents should give their teenage children a weekly alcohol allowance at home, to help them avoid falling into the country's notorious binge-drinking culture, a study recommended Friday.

It said banning teenagers from drinking alcohol risked pushing them to buy cheap booze on the street and get into more trouble.

rawstory.com...

I swear the UK comes up with the weirdest studies . Fight alcohol abuse buy giving teens alcohol ?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
thats usually how they get hooked in the first place. most people in the uk do give their kids alcohol.

they will give them one or two of their beers, usually from the age of 13.

this is first hand expericane. dont know anyone who doesnt do it.

as i get older i think its terrible, i am now i my 20s and would never give my kids(theorectical) booze.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Good point .

I wonder if a study has even been done on kids growing up in a home with no alcohol .

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I actually think its good! my parents never prohibited me from drinking alcohol and I never drank alcohol only in new years eve and its a good thing ill tell you my experience!
My friends whose parents prohibited and told they would expel their sons from home if drinking alcohol once invited me to a sleepover and they bought alcohol, the result, one got in a alcoholic comma and the other was about to go into a comma too and you ask.
what about you?
well i only drank a glass and kept telling my friends to stop drinking yet they didn't listen to me. At the end of the day the parents of my friends thought i was a bad influence because I was sober (didn't drink) and didn't want to tell what happened. so maybe its a good thing im not saying you should give alcohol every week to your kid but hey don't make a big deal of it

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I am living in Moldova which was part of the Soviet Union. I still cannot get used to seeing even pre-teen kids walk in a store and buy a beer.
I was at a pizza place recently with my wife and 3 boys about 13 or 14 came in, ordered a pizza and 3 beers.. they sat quietly, talked, laughed, drank their beer and ate their pizza.
After being here for about 5 years and seeing the difference in attitudes toward drinking, I am not sure the rest of the world is doing it right.
I know there is a problem in Russia, and also Moldova with alcohol, but I am not so sure it stems from availability of cheap alcohol (I use vodka for windshield washer fluid) so much as it does from economic hopelessness.
From what I have seen here, the kids grow up with alcohol available so its just a normal part of life and they don't seem to abuse it.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Quite a few of my friends parents had this view - basically ti was OK to drink there under age so long as everyone knew everyone else (no real trouble makers) and the adults brought (and paid for usually
the booze) so they pretty much selected what we were drinking and how much... And while we were drinking we had to stay in the house so they could keep an eye on us, maybe feed us... We would usually be able to go out wondering around but the drinking had to take place indoors.

I mean that was generally the rules - different people had different rules - my parents didn't really go for it round their house but were fine with what I got up to else where.

Mind you hanging round with some of the other groups we still got trashed in the park on white cider and vodka... So really actually thinking about it I spent most of my youth smashed out of my head
- but I know where I got into more trouble.

new topics

top topics

join