It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA "Moon Bombing" mission -- DISAPPEARS

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is sooo disappointing!

We had so many insturments looking at the impact on Jupiter a few months ago, granted it was a huge impact, but it was also billions of miles away. THE POINT is we saw it in real time! Now NASA is telling me we can't see an impact on our moon?

I don't even want to speculation and conspiracies to start, I just want the truth!!

The Space program information is something that should be shared with everyone!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw
It has nothing to do with what I want. The experiment was to kick up dust and analyze the dust. If the dust didn't get kicked up then it failed.

And even if it didn't excavate any soil, we still need to learn why. Therefore, it is not a failure because something is learned, added to our knowledge and extrapolated to later experiments and discoveries.

But before the data has even been analyzed, you have declared it a failure because the explosion wasn't as big as you wanted. You are declaring it a failure because you didn't get the sole result you wanted.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by DoomsdayRex]
You do realize this is about your 12th post in a row playing with words. Nobody cares. If you set out to do something and you dont do it that is failure. If you fail at something and then play with words to make it look like you didnt fail that is an excuse. See you learned something today. At this point nobody knows if it was a failure or huge success. You seem to just be disagreeable. Your opinion is no more valuable than anyone elses, we dont need you to keep re writing your opinion over and over. If everyone did that every thread would be 700 pages long and filled with everyone's avatar over and over and over and over... Kinda like yours is filling up the pages now all the while saying the same thing over... and over.. and over... and over... and over... and over... and over.... and over.....

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

And look even if the mission is a total failure as some are claiming, NASA can still win the Nobel Prize in physics. They may not have accomplished anything but they had the potential too.

OK I guess we can leave it on that note until we see what NASA comes up with.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

6 mile plume

The NASA mission summary states 60 kilometers. That's 37 miles, not 6.

That's either a typo or an ambiguity in that mission summary. I've heard and read multiple other sources say "6 miles" or "10 kilomters" and they have been saying that for a while.

I'm sure most would agree with me that they heard the plume was supposed to be 6 miles or 10 km.

Perhaps the 60 km is the maximum ejecta height rather than the expected "visible" plume -- or perhaps NASA made a mistake in that summary. Or perhaps it was a typo.

That NASA mission summary also states that BOTH IMPACTS (you did realize there were supposed to be two, right?) would be visible from earth based assets, and in particular they state that it would be visible with "10-12 inch telescopes."

And yet, even with images taken on 200 inch telescopes, the alleged event is, as others in this thread have phrased it "only a couple pixels." And personally, I had to play back the IR video a couple times and the "couple pixels" that I saw don't look like an event to me. They look like a video artifact.

Also, I notice that the image posted in the second post of this thread (having difficulty linking, check page two), posted by easynow, shows what is implied to be the crater after impact. However, if you watch the pre impact video, you'll see that the crater in the center of the screen of that picture already exists before the impact.

Right -- it has already been established that the plume did not go as high as expected, and NASA needs to figure out why the plume did not reach the sunlight. However, I don't see how that is evidence that the impact didn't happen.

As for the video you linked, the centaur rocket impacted at 49 seconds into the video, and if you could see an (estimated) 20-meter crater prior to the 49 second mark, then you have good eyes. The rest of the video shows the final minutes of the "shepherding spacecraft".

The shepherding spacecraft did not image that 1-pixel crater until it got pretty close to the moon -- and way after the 49 second mark.

The experiment did not go as expected (such as perhaps the Centaur rocket impact hit dry, hard rock -- or possibly did not hit as perpendicular as planned), but that also isn't evidence of a "NASA fake". It just means that something unexpected happened.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Now, first if these events happen "multiple times per month" why do we need spend the money and recreate something that is occurring continually? Can't we simply position the satellites we have up there to give us 360 coverage of the surface and wait a month (or less) for it to occur and collect the data?

The idea is to find water on the moon. Using meteors for this would not be ideal because the meteors may have traces of water; any resulting explosion would be a mixture of lunar soil and fragments of the meteors. It would be near impossible to tell any whether any resulting discovery of water belonged to the moon or the meteor.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

You do realize what a discussion is, right?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Same ole nasa crap.
Same as the Politicians.
Am I the only one who gets sick to there stomach from the same ole lies
everytime the same ole games?
Where's hoagland? At least his answers make sense no matter how far out
they are.
I don't even Know what's worse. The people who eat this crap up time after time with no end insight or those that spoon feed it to them.
Can you not think slight of hand people?
What could we have missed by focusing our attention on this BS?

The ole bait n switch is on if you ask me.
It's so obvious.
What was it the President in Austen Powers said when he wanted to blow up the moon? "Would you miss it"? Who knows they might just be
exercising their technic for getting everybody all stirred up for nothing.
Here's an idea.QUIT LISTENING. iT'S ALL BS.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
NASA is apparently trying this cost saving measure in order to find water, however the unexpected results (no results) shows that a manned mission or surface robotics are likely the best idea.

I like the manned missions the best, and I hope the US and NASA start moving in that direction again. Let's get some heroes out there, doing the phenomenal, stimulating the imagination of the kids.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

thank you for the reply. So, when the meteor makes impact the particles would most likely be from both the moon and the meteor and distinguishing between the two would be impossible. Makes sense. Do you happen to know the second question?
Have we witnessed these plums of dust with other impacts?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Am I the only one who gets sick to there stomach from the same ole lies
everytime the same ole games?

Before the results are in you are declaring them liars.

Originally posted by randyvs
I don't even Know what's worse. The people who eat this crap up time after time with no end insight or those that spoon feed it to them.

You're talking about the believers, right?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Do you happen to know the second question?

I know that impacts have been witnessed but I don't know if they have been photographed. Phage or SGiP would be better to answer that question.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
On released government documents, sensitive words and paragraphs are blacked out. On video, if it’s secret, it’s shut down. If it’s not then you will see pixel distortion. What you see is just as important of what you do not. The same goes for what was released.
I found it interesting to see the red zones on the thermal images.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It was NEVER going to be seen from earth. If you read the NASA website you would see that it could only be seen from BIG telescopes from earth... meaning the back yard telescope probably wouldn't work.

RESEARCH people.........

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I cannot wait for their telescope images

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Finding water on the moon?

Are they frickin kidding!

Water on the moon. Stop and think for just a few minutes.

Let's spend 100's of millions we don't have now to look for, maybe, water on the moon.

Our society is in economic, political and social chaos can't they find something more constructive to do with our money then bomb the moon for water?

Let's use all those wonderful brains, money and time on cleaning up our planet, before we start polluting another one.

The idea is to find water on the moon. Using meteors for this would not be ideal because the meteors may have traces of water; any resulting explosion would be a mixture of lunar soil and fragments of the meteors. It would be near impossible to tell any whether any resulting discovery of water belonged to the moon or the meteor.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My interview on LCross with 'Russia Today' just got posted on
www.youtube.com...

Somehow they cropped the Skype webcam image funny and I looked
very, very short on TV. Imagine that!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Maybe you can answer why the Moon is best viewed through big scopes rather than 12inch scopes worth 2 grand

With all my Moon research I had to revert back to AM Astronomers as them Observatory's dripping with wads of Cash don't share too much info

All of the observatory's in Australia revert back to Nasa for Moon images

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
NASA is apparently trying this cost saving measure in order to find water, however the unexpected results (no results) shows that a manned mission or surface robotics are likely the best idea.

Sure there was a result. The shepherding spacecraft spectroscopic analysis detected something after the Centaur impact, which most likely means there was some ejecta. There is also IR imaging of the impact site.

The "unexpected" part is the fact that the plume was not obviously visible. That could mean that the plume was too small to reach out of the shadow and into the sunlight, or the Centaur hit and a shallower-than expected angle, thus causing the plume to propagate sideways -- again not reaching sunlight.

They have spectroscopic data that at t least shows sodium present, so they DO have results. I never expected them to have answers 8 hours after the impact anyway. The initial analysis of the data may take a while, and the complete analysis will take months.

...by the way, the presence of sodium was also seen in the analysis of the impact flash as seen from Kitt Peak observatory in New Mexico.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ok... somethings going on. Something really strange:

SO this morning I looked at this and watched the video, hoping to see the big impact. But what one of the NASA people said on the video was very interesting, near the end of the video, a woman said something along the lines of "we're getting thermal readings from one of the craters". I thought the moon was inactive...

Not just that... the whole article has been changed. There was a whole paragraph with a heading something like "Roads on the moon". Apparently as the probe got closer, the NASA people remarked that there seemed to be a road system. Now, that part is gone.

Also, the impact "was expected to throw some 350 tonnes of debris up to altitudes of 10km (6.2 miles) or more." That could easily been seen by a home telescope, right? Especially a high-end one.

Anyone that read this before it got changed respond. I know what I read.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Before the results are in you are declaring them liars.

Well there weren't supposed to be any results coming in crap
just get off of it. We were supposed to see some big bombastic live
feed of a rocket hitting the moon.
I got to tell ya I hav't even seen anything that looks like the moon.

You people are falling for some big prank or something.
Supposedly we''ve already been up there?
I could of sworn India lunar mission established a few weeks ago that there was water onthe moon.
Maybe it's the shot gun effect with the bs. They spray us with lies and we believe em all. STOP LISTENING. Their full of it all the way around.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by randyvs]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join