It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Not that it matters, but I choose the emoticons only on the basis of the actual visual expression (not the print" meaning) they have. And the selection is *not* very good (hence my recent thread about smiley selection).
Besides, "duh" isn't necessarily a hostile expression.....

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jd140

I deem it a good thing because it will put pressure on him to live up to it...not a good thing simply because he won.

Huge difference.

You win an award because you did something.

Not because you might do something. This is a bad thing because it rewards nothing.

How is winning an award for nothing a good thing? What about those who deserved to win because they actually did something?

Hey in 4 years I'm going to rid the world of hunger. Wheres my Nobel Peace Prize?

Shouldnt I be awarded one so I will feel more pressure to make good on my word?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize
Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting qualified people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later.

nobelprize.org...

Does this raise a red flag for anyone else? 50 years before any information can become public knowledge. Hum...

I would LOVE to know who else was up for nomination this year and lost out to President Obama.

So now we have first Black President to Ever Win A Nobel Peace Prize while in office.

He wins for aiding the powers that be to usher in the NWO.

Whoopie! He must feel like a jerk winning out to all of the other nominees with things like the cure for AIDS and Cancer, free energy, and God only knows what else within the realm of making this a better planet.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I understand that he inherited the war but common! Didn't he just send 30k more young men and women into the war???? How in God's name is that a peaceful effort? Did Truman get a peace prize for dropping two atomic bombs? What the hell is going on here? This is worse than Jimmy Rollins winning the MVP award!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Is this "good" for America? Sure....why not.

But it still looks like a giant joke to me regardless if it has positive effects or not.

link   

Originally posted by grover
This pretty much says it all about the GOP and the hard right's blind hatred of president Obama:

www.guardian.co.uk...

There was what President Obama likes to call a teachable moment last week, when the International Olympic Committee rejected Chicago's bid to be host of the 2016 summer games.

"Cheers erupted" at the headquarters of the conservative Weekly Standard, according to a blogpost by a member of the magazine's staff, with the headline "Obama loses! Obama loses!". Rush Limbaugh declared himself "gleeful". "World Rejects Obama," gloated the Drudge Report. And so on.

So what did we learn from this moment? For one thing, we learned that the modern conservative movement, which dominates the modern Republican party, has the emotional maturity of a bratty 13-year-old. But more important, the episode illustrated an essential truth about the state of American politics: At this point, the guiding principle of one of our nation's two great political parties is spite, pure and simple. If Republicans think something might be good for the president, they're against it whether or not it's good for America.

What was true for the lost Olympic bid is true of the Nobel Peace prize win...and even though I think it is unwarranted the right's rabid and vehement reactions are as Paul Krugman said...spite, pure and simple.

Dumbo should hang his head in shame...the GOP...the big tent party has become the party of mean spirits and hatefulness.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by grover]

This is NOT about the "right" hating Obama. This is about giving the nobel peace prize to a man who has done nothing to deserve it. Why is it that when someone disagreed with Bush, it was unpatriotic and the "left" went rabid about this fact, and with good reason. But now that the shoe is on the other foot....anyone who disagrees with Obama is a racist, right-wing neocon and that's ok?! Double standard's are not good for the country and i'm so sick of hearing this "left-wing vs right-wing" mentality. When will we all realize that we are not "wings", but the entire bird itself? Our opinions may differ from issue to issue, but we must stand united and respect each other, understanding that we will have differences in opinions. But we keep falling for the same lame emotion-exploiting divisive politics that keep any real good from ever being done. It was a smart man that observed, "United we stand, divided we fall." These are words that must be heeded, or we will fall. When was the last time you(me) tried to reach out to the other "wing" of the party that you're forced into and tried to make peace and find some middle ground? This post is my olive branch. I'm a Republican, but i'm nothing like those rabid war-monger stereotypes presented to you in the "news". I'm for peace, decentralization of power, small government and most importantly, the constitution.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Exemplar]

link   
I didn't have time to read every post on this thread about this issue, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. (Plus, while I've been an avid reader of ATS for over a month now this is my first post ever so be nice...LOL)

I'm concerned that no one on ATS, (at least that I can find, if someone knows where please let me know), has commented about the timing of Obama's Nobel Prize coinciding with the Moon 'bombing'.

Someone please explain how a Prez as new as Obama can win this award w/out having done anything other than 'promise hope'? Plus, from what I've been told about the selection process, he would have to have been nominated w/in his first month or so if becomming Prez.

I find it VERY hard to believe this was coincidence.

Thoughts???

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I agree that this "victory" probably doesn't make him feel that good. It's downright embarrassing, having been nominated after just a week or so in office.

link   
I just saw it on the news, even the gathered press awed.

And?
Are there any riots in Washington yet?

There is a song that goes through my mind, I'm gonna listen it now.

Jimmy Hendrix;
If 6 was 9.

link   
reply to post by jd140

Actually the award committee says they gave it to him because he has changed the tenor of international dialogue since he has been in power...and he has.

I agree that that has more potential than substance still given the belligerent nature of the past administration it is something of import.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwreck

Yes, well done. And as the article says, its for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

Sorry Im not jumping on the obama is the anti-christ/satan himself/generally a bad bad man bandwagon.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ethereal Gargoyle
reply to post by LadySkadi

Not that it matters, but I choose the emoticons only on the basis of the actual visual expression (not the print" meaning) they have. And the selection is *not* very good (hence my recent thread about smiley selection).
Besides, "duh" isn't necessarily a hostile expression.....

Well, then you end up with all kinds of (mis)interpretations if ya do it like that!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
this just in...
Obama Wins Every F*ing Award on the Planet

(satire)

link   
reply to post by Exemplar

Well then we have far more in common than you would think at first glance.

I am not so much responding to the posts here on ATS as I am from reading the comments from the right on other news sites about it which, on the heel of their unseemly gloating at the failed Olympics bid just highlights their blind hatred of him.

As for him winning. I think it is premature at the very least and it is going to be a hampering and a hinderance when it comes to dealing with other nations...

Like I have said repeatedly I think it unwarranted but I am not going to slam him about it...if anything the objections should be made about the committee itself not the recipient.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by grover]

link   
I am not going to comment on the award, and yes I read the whole thread, lol

But check this out,
Obama's Nobel win should spur climate commitment: UN

Obama's Nobel win should spur climate commitment: UN
BANGKOK, Oct 9 (AFP) Oct 09, 2009
US President Barack Obama's winning of the Nobel Peace prize should encourage him to commit to an international treaty on global warming, the UN climate chief said Friday.

As two weeks of UN climate talks concluded in Bangkok, there were fears of time running out for 192 countries to reach an agreement ahead of a December showdown in Copenhagen, the deadline for a deal to tackle global warming.

The UN's top climate official, Yvo De Boer, said he hoped Obama's win would be "an encouragement for him to bring a strong commitment to Copenhagen".

The looming question of how Washington will fit into any new agreement has dominated the talks in the Thai capital and there are now just six days of negotiations, in November, before the critical Denmark gathering.

Hopes for a leading US role in the world's climate change efforts have been dampened by indications that its Congress will not pass major legislation on the issue by the end of the year.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Now I get the picture.

www.spacedaily.com...

Visions of Al Gore dancing in my head.

[edit on 023131p://bFriday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

That's funny since I am a self declared bottled and bonded old hippy liberal and have never made any bones about it otherwise.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

And what has addressing the Muslims accomplished. I don't understand the left thinking. Why do you think it is okay to go around and talk crap about a nation the you run? You all need to get over the Bush/Cheney years..... you can't keep using that as an excuse!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Recently Awaken

He would have had to have been nominated within the first week of his presidency...

So who unanimously voted for him and why? Was it simply because he was the first Black President?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I wonder what the president will do with the $1.4 million in prize money he gets for winning the peace prize?

This is a shocker! I don't know what to think.

I know what he will do with it! He will pay the attorneys he has hired to cover up his past! Over a million now. And when he is exposed, and he definately will be, as an illegal alien, a fraud, and a scammer, either that Nobel will be recinded, but more probably, they will just have no more credibility. They are losing a lot right now, from their former award of a crook, and now another one. Just be patient. His time will come.

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join