It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am not sure if this has been mentioned in 23 pages BUT....
does anyone know the history of this "prize"?
nothing more than an ego trip for Alfred Nobel so he would be remembered "fondly" instead of who he was.

from wikipedia : alfred nobel

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> en.wikipedia.org...

The erroneous publication in 1888 of a premature obituary of Nobel by a French newspaper, condemning him for his invention of dynamite, is said to have brought about his decision to leave a better legacy after his death.[2] The obituary stated Le marchand de la mort est mort ("The merchant of death is dead") and went on to say, "Dr. Alfred Nobel, who became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before, died yesterday."[3] On 27 November 1895, at the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris, Nobel signed his last will and testament and set aside the bulk of his estate to establish the Nobel Prizes, to be awarded annually without distinction of nationality. He died of a stroke on 10 December 1896 at Sanremo, Italy. He left 31 million kronor (equivalent to about 1.8 billion kronor or 250 million US dollars in 2008) to fund the prizes.[

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Yes... because the prize is to encourage attitudes, behaviors etc. Not for any particular achievement.

"According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

See, even nobel's will says it is awarded for work towards peace. That is, actually doing something. At a few days into his term, Obama had done nothing. You're not supposed to get a nobel peace prize for thinking happy thoughts.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Exemplar]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

All Hail the New King......but does no one see that he is naked??

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Bingo. As long as you share the belief that America should: renounce it's sense of pride and national identity, abandon free markets/entrepreneurship, and become more passive while giving that authority to international organizations like the UN. Yep...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This award has become a joke.

It was really bad when they gave it to Al Gore for doing nothing.

Now this. A insignificant award from a bunch of left wing Norwegian politicians.

Gandhi was nominated 4 Times and never won? WTF!

I will bet he was nominated by Oprah.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I can see the froth around your mouth... You have become ridicoulous in your rhetoric...entirely uncredible to anyone of even a modicum of intelligence. You simply hate, you don't think. Personally I think you are dangerous...

And all your personal off topic spewing has WHAT to do with the subject at hand? Nothing. I hit the alert button on ya'. BTW ... when it comes to exclaiming at the top of your lungs 'you don't think' .. you might want to stop throwing stones in glass houses.
It's comical.

Originally posted by kosmicjack
You can't help but like the guy.

Me. I can help it.

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
If you researched you will find it is because of his work toward international diplomacy.

yeah, that's what they are claiming.
In reality it's just another 'you aren't Bush so we are happy' award.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The vast majority of people who are upset that he earned this award don't even know what the award is about!

Wrong.

1 - He didnt' 'earn' the award.
2 - Those that think he 'earned' it have are the ones that have no clue what the 'award' is really about. Its' all politics. It was awarded because Obama isn't Bush. It's just that simple.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by FlyersFan]

link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'd rather give them a REAL hero.
Honoring a shell of a man is pretty pathetic.

Actually being the first black President of the U.S. and winning the Nobel Prize to top it off is quite an achievement for one single man.

He`s not as pathetic as you guys say he is.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Skyfloating]

"Winning"? Doesn't one have to DO something to "win"?

I'd say it was more of an "award" than a "win".

The timing is right, though. A man is awarded a Nobel Peace prize right when he's considering sending more troops to Afghanistan. Hmmm.... Think he'll look like an idiot if he sends more troops into a war zone right after "winning" this?

Looks like the Swedes have put their order in for US foreign policy to me.

link   
reply to post by brainwreck

You know what? From this point on I am not taking any political partisanship on this website seriously. We have a common threat to us all, and that is those who deny love and freedom. Those who oppress us, those who contain us, those who refuse to let us grow. They know no political affiliation or ideological ties. They have a common goal, and they are trying to execute it. Let the Illuminati have at you, if you will. I shall not dwell in such nonsense any longer.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Man. I swear I must be living in Bizzaro World. Where everything that is illogical is logical and everything that is wrong is right.

The guy has done NOTHING that he promised. The Iraq war continues, he talks about increasing troops in Afghanistan, and we are heading down the same path in Iran as we did in Iraq.

If this was given out for his intentions... then I should have won! I intended to reduce the number of nuclear warheads too damn it (just haven't gotten around to it yet).

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

wow. u have far deeper insight than me . i slagged him and them off.
but with the light u just cast. i mean i defo hope so. it may be just that , i carnt invade / bomb iran. i got the peace prize. what can i do .
waymore complicated repercussion all a round from any move includin war

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
IM JUST FLAT OUT SCARED NOW... do any of you understand whats going on here??

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

Bingo.

Now his agenda is set. He has his marching orders, he has to tow the line. And he gets a tiny medal that means doodly-squat.

Shame on us, shame on our government, and shame on Obama for accepting.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

If the Illuminati is real - It is a threat against Obama. It is also a tactic used to discredit him and whoever he is working with. He is working against their goals, and they are teaching him a lesson on why he should never cross them.

If no Illuminati - It is an award.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I find it very interesting how many people feel physically sick at their stomachs over this.

I do. I have seen a lot of posts all over the web with people mentioning they feel queasy or 'sick to their stomachs.'

That means that there was a quite visceral reaction to this in a lot of folks.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well done to him

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Unfortunately, the man is too much of a narcissist to turn the award down. Too self absorbed to realize how little has actually been achieved. But at least he can get away from his Copenhagen trips and pickup basketball games for a few days of vacation to accept the award. He does have to travel to accept it right?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is great news for Obama and this award was fully deserved for his great commitment to world peace and hope and change. What I find strange is the Norwegians giving out peace prizes? These guys used to be Vikings and have a great warrior culture. It's sad that nations like Norway and Japan have lost their cultural heritage and are now peaceful nations. Why not have a war prize for the greatest warrior of our times? It doesn't seem very fair to have a prize for peace and no prize for war, what ever happened to being tolerant and celebrating all cultures? See you in Valhalla!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I was of the impression that 'the ill" were in support of a one world government. Obama is more receptive to the idea than Bush, Clinton, Bush, Carter, Reagan, etc. Why would you believe he were an enemy and what evidence is there that the 6 voters are tied to said group?

[edit on 9-10-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Uh, they voted for him 11 days into his term. What in the hell had he done?

The nomination ended then. The vote didn't happen until October.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
1 - He didnt' 'earn' the award.

According to the NPP committee, he did. But they disagree with you, so they must be wrong.

2 - Those that think he 'earned' it have are the ones that have no clue what the 'award' is really about.

Yes. The NPP committee has no idea what the award is about.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Well done?

Exactly what did he do?

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join