It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar bombing - Nasa TV live feed

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Manawydan

The latest from New Scientist:
"According to Michael Bicay, director of science at Ames, there are at least two possible scenarios that could explain what happened. The first is that the "gain" on the cameras was not set correctly to portray the debris plume. It could be revealed later if the data were displayed differently.

"It would mean we got the contrast wrong," says Bicay. "That's what I'm hoping for."

The worst-case scenario would be if the rocket struck boulders rather than loose, gravelly soil. In that case the debris plume might not have reached the 1.5-kilometre altitude needed to catch the sunlight and be seen by LCROSS. The plume would need to rise to 2.5 to 3 kilometres in order to be seen by telescopes on Earth. A 10-kilometre high plume was expected."

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Definitely looks like it's a photo being zoomed in on.. and I'm absolutely disgusted with NASA for the ongoing cr*p quality of their supposed film.. there's no way that their tech is that sh*t
And all this mention of Hubble, I thought it couldn't view the moon as people have been requesting images of the moon landing sites be checked out for years? Or am I mistaken there?

Something's on the cover up list here, no idea what, but that was pathetic... but the good old public will accept that rubbish as per usual.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

Wow, I guess my estimations of contrast issues are at least something they are considering to be a cause for the "issue" here.
That's where my money is.
They may be able to release a better video very shortly, if that is the case.

And I'd imagine they will, if that is the case.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup
reply to post by Manawydan

The latest from New Scientist:
"According to Michael Bicay, director of science at Ames, there are at least two possible scenarios that could explain what happened. The first is that the "gain" on the cameras was not set correctly to portray the debris plume. It could be revealed later if the data were displayed differently.

"It would mean we got the contrast wrong," says Bicay. "That's what I'm hoping for."

The worst-case scenario would be if the rocket struck boulders rather than loose, gravelly soil. In that case the debris plume might not have reached the 1.5-kilometre altitude needed to catch the sunlight and be seen by LCROSS. The plume would need to rise to 2.5 to 3 kilometres in order to be seen by telescopes on Earth. A 10-kilometre high plume was expected."

www.newscientist.com...

Wow, they've been doing the space thing for how long now? You would think with the world watching that someone would check the contrast settings. " Hey did you see that? I think it was a Yeti. Did you get a picture." "I sure did. Oh wait my lens cap was on."

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by HrdCorHillbilly
reply to post by XXXN3O

I totally agree. This is what I was thinking... If they want to see if there is water. Why not fly some people to the moon. We did it way back then, should be very easy for them now.

If sending people is easy, imagine how much easier it is to send remote sensing equipment.

-rrr

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
NASA should be shut down.
It's turned into a complete display of utter incompetence, lies, and a waste of money.

Why dont they do something cool like drop one of those impactors on the white house. At least then we could see something cool that would help advance mankind.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I am going to bite and sound like an idiot.

Why are we bombing the moon? What is the point.

We don't have the money for this.

We are bankrupt, has NASA and our government noticed?

Oh, that is right they spend like drunken sailors.

Can anyone give me a logical answer as the the necessity of bombing the moon and how much did this debacle cost?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by I am not amused

Can anyone give me a logical answer as the the necessity of bombing the moon and how much did this debacle cost?

The Gov dont have to pay for anything. we pay for this And it comes with a billion + price. and i really doubt it cost that much for this mission. Nasa Is a Front for Massive Government spending for stuff like Echelon and other secret research and ops.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by icemax2005]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Yep, you got me there.

I just think it's odd that we haven't been back to the moon in a very long time.
The best way to get information on something unknown...is to send someone there to see things with there own eyes.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Did someone say they were filming this because to me it looked like a still pic slowly zooming in.
Has the world gone crazy today this crap from NASA something they should have never attempted in the first place and to top this crap Obama winning the peace prize this must be the day of the IDIOTS?

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ocker

Thank you so much for the link... but you gotta LOVE NASAs black and white feed ....
I guess they still think its 1969? or they didn't want to crash a jazzy colored camera into the moon

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Glad I didn't stay up for that and I will never get back the 15 minutes I had to spend to find and then watch this crap.

Too bad they couldn't find a way to strap BO to the rocket and allow him to film the explosion. Would have been worth the trip then...... Guess the noble award would have put the rocket over the weight capacity. The ego alone would have been pushing it.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cydonia2012

Did you just recently view that video? The view count was at 302 four hours ago. It hasn't changed at all.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by I am not amused

We are "bombing" the moon to see how much water is there is the simple answer

with water comes energy
with energy comes bases on the moon
with bases comes a slow colonization effort of space.

Progress must be continued, there will never be a utopian time and no matter what, there will be people grumping at why we are doing X when there are starving children somewhere...simple fact is, not every taxpayer gives a rats arse about all their tax dollars going towards welfare or bombing brown people...some like the fact that some of their cash they send up is going for the progression of humanity verses the neverending day to day struggle that will never be perfect.

by the logic of the people complaining, if we waited for perfection before humanity reached for progress, we would still be in caves.

Now, success or failure of any particular mission is of no importance, what is important is that we as a race continue to strive and grow.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cydonia2012
reply to post by ocker

Thank you so much for the link... but you gotta LOVE NASAs black and white feed ....
I guess they still think its 1969? or they didn't want to crash a jazzy colored camera into the moon

The visible light images are not important to the science being done. The camera was there basically to get confirmation that they were going to the place intended.

The real scientific data is the infrared images and the spectroscopic data. Those may not be as "sexy" to some as really good hi-res color video, but that really hi-res video is basically worthless for what this experiment was attempting to accomplish.

Even though the average person wants to see really good video, that video is not as important as the other data to the scientist. Supposedly, the scientists think they got all the data they need, even though that data is not as interesting as a really good video would be to most people.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

They guy from the press conference said the streamed video was not the same fidelity as what was on the craft.

They showed us some crappy cam video and they didn't broadcast the good quality video to the public.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HrdCorHillbilly
reply to post by Cydonia2012

Did you just recently view that video? The view count was at 302 four hours ago. It hasn't changed at all.

Youtube does that with videos that are getting a lot of views, and are newly posted. The database keeps track of the views correctly, but the display will go through "locks", sometimes for hours on end. I've had it happen, myself, to some of my more popular videos. I'll have 100 ratings, and yet only 90 views showing lol

It'll adjust itself to show the correct numbers within a day or so.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Let me go off on a satanic freemason tangent for this mission. What is one of their mottos..."As above, so below." Right? So with that in mind, and with all their bull# satanry they bombed the moon as a precursor or some kind of sacrifice to one of their gods. Now...I wonder if someone could draw a line from the impact to earth to see where it goes. Use their stupid beliefs using 33 degree angles or what ever. It would be interesting to know where that line hits on Earth.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

The visible light images are not important to the science being done. The camera was there basically to get confirmation that they were going to the place intended.

That's kind of a weak argument I feel. If NASA wants funding for missions then they need to get the public interested, and more importantly hold that interest with clear pictures and film that the general masses can understand. Whatever they should be doing they shouldn't be fobbing the public off with the rubbish we've seen here.

I totally understand your scientific viewpoint, and I can agree with you to a point.. but as has already been said, the US tax payers want to see something.. anything, not this cra*p

Just my 2cents

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We can see comets crashing into Jupiter, which is 386,968,323 miles away, at high resolution. We can see galaxies 13 billion miles away. We can see minute details of nebulae far away from our solar system. But we can't get a decent picture of a moon impact only 238,855 miles away?

The Hubble images of this thing had better be good, and they had better release them soon. We didn't have to wait long for the Shoemaker-Levy pics.

And BTW I am not buying that Hubble can't resolve the American flag on the moon, either. For crying out loud, if a satellite can resolve an American flag on the surface of earth, then Hubble certainly can resolve a flag on the moon.

I call B.S.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by OuttaHere]
And I also agree that if they expect the taxpayers to keep funding them, they need to give us something to look at. The average person doesn't care about their numbers, infrared signatures, and jaargon. We want to SEE something.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by OuttaHere]

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join