It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

learn how to eat simply so you dont need much to survive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
the less types of food you need to eat to survive and the more simply you can do it , the better your chances.

people need to realize they can actually survive on very little. you really only need vegetables; fruit; nuts; seeds; beans/chickpeas/lentils/soyabeens/corn; grains like rice/brown rice/other grains. and maybe some eggs/fish a couple of times a week if that. and water. (you dont in fact need much meat to survive. or indeed , any; if you eat eggs - maybe fish. also lots of vegetarians live in india and they are fine).

once you realise this; it means you can pretty much grow what you need to survive; and dont have to depend on supermarkets etc. you can keep chickens for eggs; and practise your fishing. or have a dam/lake.

the rest can be grown in a vegetable garden or fruit orchard. thats all you need to survive. and its good to get used to eating these types of foods so its not such a shock. also, you will be extremely healthy.

you wont suffer if there are food shortages; or from the additives; chemicals and dangerous poisons in processed foods.

you'll save a few chickens and othe ranimals from lives of misery in the meat slaughtering industry, where its all about money and not about animal welfare. (i just haave to say here: you're as healthy as the food you eat. if you eat several week old chicks fed growth hormones and locked in cages all their lives or barns without sunlight; or eggs from such chickens, you arent gonna be a healthy person). people dont care where their meat comes from.

also red meat and dairy have been shown to cause inflammation in the body; and inflammation causes cancer recurrence. many books have been written on the health dangers of sugar and dairy foods. one is 'dont drink your milk' by a pediatrician from a well known university. available from amazon.com. others include 'the china study' by dr colin campbell.

but yeah; back to survival: if everyone was doing this; growing vegetables and storing rice etc; we would all be a lot less vulnerable to our governments, etc. and in times of disaster. once you've planted it with lots of manure; a veggie garden is very low maintenance; just water once a day and ignore...

[edit on 9-10-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
We don't need much protein at all, actually. We certainly need some, but we can get it from legumes and grains. Many ethnic foods combine legumes and grains in such a way that the amino acid balance between the two (or three) is similar to the balance we need. Rice and beans, beans and corn, peanuts and rice, etc., all are healthy combinations. Follow the recipes from cultures that don't emphasize meat; they've had hundreds, even thousands of years to get the recipes right.

A little bit of milk, butter, eggs, or other animal-sourced food is OK. Fish is fine, as long as it doesn't have mercury or parasites. Chicken is OK, too, but you get more mileage out of a chicken if you simply eat her eggs.

I doubt you can grow all your own food, unless you have a large amount of land. You would need to have several different crops, which would be difficult to manage. OTOH, if you know other like-minded people, you could all grow different crops and barter with each other to get a balanced diet.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
You guys should look into the raw food movement. It is exactly what it sounds like; surviving on and enjoying raw foods, fruits, veg and sprouted grains.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

Good thread OP! In America we think about size an awful lot. Big is good and bigger must be better. The human body can survive on a litte, but your individual metabolism is something you have to take into account. You have to know how much protein your body needs as well as how to get it.

One thing that most people will trip over when the lights go out and there is no civility, is what you CAN do without and what you are WILLING to do without.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
you know i see these you can servive post everyware here .
bad news ppl if the spit hits the fan for real your chances of living are almost zip. But I got stuff stashed you say OOO well im impressed .
and if the spit hits the fan every one will be wating for there chance to take it from you.OO no one would ever brake into my home O brouther.
oo i have it stashed in the local statepark well a million other ppl are headed there my friend.
inside the contantel usa theres only one type of area that theres even a snowballs chance in hades youl servive and it isent your local statpark.
I had servival corse training retired seals and greenbrays and let me tell you trying to save trailers full of stuff will be your death trying to hord guns and amo will be your death even faster.
Come on ppl how you going to kill a million starving ppl with the SAME wepons you have??? got a 100million rounds i hope.
best i can tell you is follow the bibels advice (the meck shall inharet the earth)) this means forgret the gun and trailers full of junk.
and be a rabbit .then wile all thous ppl are killing each other over whats left after there done then come out of your hole and the earth is yours by defalt
now to be real get a back pack miltiary style and what fits in there is what you have no more no less.
a good nife rope some magnisem a magnifing glass fishing string .
a small spade (gardening style spade) a ferw clothes .
CANDY (but not to eat) a weeks supply of frezdryed food .
now goto south georgia north florida luesina or missippippi
north fl south georgia best. head for the okefnokee swamps .
there hundres of square miles of the hardest most impenterable ares in the states there are.
(watch for snakes) and moma gaters. get as deep as you can.
NEVER have a fire at night never make a fire more the five or six inches round (its to cook with not to heat with other ppl can see lots of smoke .
use the dryest timber u can find .
now your in the swamp if you cant get enough food to servive in there then your wasting your time.but hey for the slow ones (fish traps (using nife cut 50 100 sticks 3 feet long place in angeled lines in open water
2 inches apart leaving a 8 inch oping in the middel using sticks make a box behind that opening then just chase fish into wall of sticks into box and retrev lunch.
every one else mean wile is headed for your old neberhood the country farms ppl tend to take the paths of least resistence.
be awre of every noise be QUITE . camflos every thing DONT stay in the same camp spot long enough to creat trails you can see.
aloways be prepaired to move without notice . If you can revert to wiled sleep forget this as well .No one should be alble to get withing 50 yards of you asleep or not.
now im sure manny of you will say im buggin out to the mountians serviving the swamps is rufh serving the mountians is EXTREAMLY hard.
- freazing weather for months in winter demanding you have hods of stuff by its self says if someone does find you LOUSE it all the swamps dont have this problem just keep a weeks worth of dryed food and you can move easly to a new spot lousing nothing nore going without food nore risking a army of madmax typs converging all at once.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
We don't need much protein at all, actually. We certainly need some, b

food grade hemp....

rexresearch.com...

Hempseed contains all the essential amino acids and fatty acids, and is considered to be a complete food. The seed or achene contains 26-31% crude protein, 65% of which is globular edestin and albumin that is about 84% digestible. Lysine (the limiting protein in edestin) and other components are destroyed by the heat generated when hempseed is pressed for its oil. Addition of 1% lysine hydrochloride will restore the nutritional balance of heat-treated edestin. The meal also contains about 6% carbohydrates, 5-10% fat, 12% crude fiber, 10% moisture, and 7% ash. (100, 101)

T.B. Osborne studied hemp edestin and reported on its isolation and purification in 1892. Until the passage of the infamous Marihuana Tax Act in 1937, edestin was regarded as a standard example of the seed globulins (the third most abundant protein after collagen and albumin). They are vital to the maintenance of a healthy immune system. (102, 103)

The globulin edestin in hempseed closely resembles that found in human blood plasma, and it is easily digested, absorbed, and utilized. Hemp edestin is so completely compatible with the human digestive system, that the Czechoslovakian Tubercular Nutrition Study (1955) found hempseed to be the only food that can successfully treat the consumptive disease tuberculosis, in which the nutritive processes are impaired. (104)

posted a while ago at www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier

CANDY (but not to eat) a weeks supply of frezdryed food .
head for the okefnokee swamps .
there hundres of square miles of the hardest most impenterable ares in the states there are.
(watch for snakes) and moma gaters. get as deep as you can.

Is the candy to feed the alligators? You never said what it is for.

Wonder how often those alligators eat?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Seriously, if you absolutely need meat, raise rabbits. Just need a hutch, a male and female, and they reproduce like crazy. You can even move the hutch indoors at night if you don't want people stealing them. Easier to do than lugging a herd of cows, goats or sheep around. And they are quiet. People hear your chickens making a racket and they might just decide to poach.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Violet Sky]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violet Sky
Seriously, if you absolutely need meat, raise rabbits. Just need a hutch, a male and female, and they reproduce like crazy. You can even move the hutch indoors at night if you don't want people stealing them. Easier to do than lugging a herd of cows, goats or sheep around. And they are quiet. People hear your chickens making a racket and they might just decide to poach.

Tried the rabbit thing, but you gotta have a strong stomach for taking life..
They KNOW when they are about to die, and cry like a newborn baby..

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

So going deep in the swamp with snakes and gators, especially not experienced, is the lesser of two evils to you?
Yikes..I'd rather dodge a bullet than get sucked into the swamp and eaten.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

we be support you

me be like you
you me be similar

look at CRON diet "Beyond 120 year diet"
me be read it
long life expectancy

high carbohydrate high nutrient diet
BMI under 20
look very thin
almost or around super model thin

yes many alien thin

before me body was overweight 174lb 5ft 8inch or 163cm
now 143lb i check two weeks ago
goal 135lb 20 BMI

it's kinda interesting seeing my skeleton
healthy immune system
energetic
light and agile
also me do Qi Gong, Yoga and Meditation.

Note that we can eat cooked inner bark of many trees,
though I've mainly investigated softwoods (needle trees).
Pine or spruce needle leaf tea excellent in vitamin C (protects against scurvy).

in forest the food abundant,
when many trees be edible.

Green leafy things for nutrients, perhaps flowers too.
Inner bark has nutrients and carbohydrates.

Mice with 10% protein diets lived longest in study,
though with heavy physical activity up to 3 times as much protein advisable.

Potatoes be 10% protein,
Kale be 16% protein.
Rabbit be 63% protein.

Cooking food on high heat destroys much nutrients,
especially in meat,
drying food be advisable.
Dry food stores well.

So recall that your natural long life expectancy body
be thin slim and skinny.
Store dry food,
eat little,
have much left,
live long.

have fun!

[edit on 14-10-2009 by lowki]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Violet Sky

The thing with rabbit - Absolutely no Iron... You need to make a provision for the iron in your diet if the only meat you are eating is rabbit.

Thyme has a very high Iron content, then after that you got pretty much all your green veggies.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Rabbits are also very lean, so you will need to compensate for the lack of fat, which is important particularly in colder climates where the body's metabolism will be higher to maintain core body heat. I have heard of several stories about farmers for instance "eating them selves to death", because they were eating only rabbit meat.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SerialLurker
You guys should look into the raw food movement. It is exactly what it sounds like; surviving on and enjoying raw foods, fruits, veg and sprouted grains.

There are many wild foods that are not as edible raw,
or even sprouted.
Such as some beans and many mushrooms.

Raw foodists often have a hard time getting enough calories in.
Females missing their periods from low intake.

Though that might be okay, and completely fine,
especially if you have lots of raw food,
time enough to eat it,
and warm climate.

Even then chewing raw food can wear down the teeth faster.

Though I do support eating sources of nutrients such as greens raw.
Foods like potatoes or pine bark are easier to eat cooked.

I admit I haven't really tried eating sprouted grain,
though I have tried sprouted chick peas.
Perhaps it really would be easy enough to chew and get enough calories down.

Though also note that often cooking or heating a food to relatively high temperatures can also make food (like fish, meat and leftovers) safer for consumption.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Beans, spuds and rice.

I can and have survived contently on this alone before.
Throw in some ham or bacon, homeade bread, spices and a treat
and the world doesnt seem too bad! mmm, mmm!

Would I want to survive on only this? Not really.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
veggietables, if you're able to, set up a greenhouse, just plastic sheeting and a frame is enough, even better, a simple hydrophonics setup, lots of info online how to do it, you can rig one with pvc pipe and plastic storage bins even. and works pretty well, so far grown tomatoes that way, and had a good amount. personally, i like meat, and often go bow hunting for deer and duck, could never bring myself to kill a rabbit, and rabbit fur makes me break out in hives if I even touch one, usually other things, I kill them from far enough away, I dn't feel so bad for it

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
And for people who are on the run or have even less.....

Daddy's Hoe-Cake

2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (hardened coconut oil if you can afford it)
1 cup water

Cut shortening into flour. When mixture is crumbly, add the water.
Make sure your pan is hot before you spoon the mixture in. I use small cast iron skillet. You want the greased pan sizzling when you pour in batter. (it won't really "pour" it will be kinda thick.) cook about 12 minutes, then flip and cook other side.

It's filling and really good with maple syrup.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
So you've found some fresh strawberries and maybe some other fresh fruits and you have no refrigeration. What to do?

Instant refrigeration....you will need:

2 unglazed clay pots....terra cotta flower pots. One must be larger than the other, so that the smaller one fits inside with a space between the vessels.

Fill the space with beach sand or sugar sand...whatever is available.

Pour water into the sand until it is saturated. In summer or in very hot climate, you may need to water it twice a day.

Put your items to be kept cool into the vessel and cover it with wet burlap. Your food should keep for several days if you will remember to keep the sand wet. It cools by the process of evaporation.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lowki

thanks for your post lowki. very interesting.

funny, i have always liked the name 'loki' as in the norse mythology wolf.

yes i second that. qi gong, yoga and meditation are important i think to longeivity.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I guess this is one of many reasons I am a vegetarian. I would hate to kill the critters.

Originally posted by Violet Sky

Tried the rabbit thing, but you gotta have a strong stomach for taking life..
They KNOW when they are about to die, and cry like a newborn baby..

reply to post by AccessDenied

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join