It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi General Urges Support of U.S. Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
In what could be seen as a turning point in the battle to stabilize Iraq, Retired Maj. Gen. Mohammed Abdul-Latif urged leaders and clergy assembled in Fallujah to support U.S. efforts to rebuild Iraq.

Iraqi General urges support of U.S.

Some of what he said from the article,
"They were brought here by the acts of one coward who was hunted out of a rathole � Saddam � who disgraced us all," Latif said. "Let us tell our children that these men came here to protect us.

"As President Bush said, they did not come here to occupy our land but to get rid of Saddam. We can help them leave by helping them do their job, or we can make them stay ten years and more by keeping fighting."

"Lt. Col. Brennan Byrne, the Marine battalion commander, said, "No truer words have been spoken here today than those by General Latif".

I fully agree with Col. Byrne's asessment, General Latif is what I would use as the definition of an Iraqi patriot that sucinctly put into words the very policy that ensures a rapid and successful transition back to Iraqi sovereignty.

The speech Gen. Latif gave should serve as the blueprint for the message that the Bush administation needs to send to the Iraqi people, much less the rest of the world.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
There was also a news article recently that showed muslim clerics uniting against Muqtada al Sadr and his terrorist organization. These are good signs, and as the General stated:

"As President Bush said, they did not come here to occupy our land but to get rid of Saddam. We can help them leave by helping them do their job, or we can make them stay ten years and more by keeping fighting."

I have to believe this is true; the US wants to achieve peace and security in Iraq and has no intention of being an occupying force.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

I have to believe this is true; the US wants to achieve peace and security in Iraq and has no intention of being an occupying force.

I'll believe that when the USA starts pulling out. Right now they are an occupying power supposedly bringin' freedom to the iraqis. If freedom is anarchy then i guess iraq is one of the freest nations on the planet right now.

join