It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 + 2 = 5? I will prove it.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

At least someone understood

Nothing is impossible because we don't know the absolute truth

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by oozyism

Sorry mate, no logic in that at all! We might was well say the the equals sign is an 11 laying on it's side.

Therefore, following your logic, 2+2=16

Thanks for the laugh!

IRM

[edit on 9/10/09 by InfaRedMan]

You mean 15.

Logically the illogical outcome is 15. 2+2 = 4, unless you mean 2+(=11)2 = 15 and then you have to ignore the +1(=1) which would make 5 = leading to your original number, of 11+5 = 16 - or 11+(=0)5.

Personally, I wish my boss would pay me like that. I'd be a gazillionaire!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
why is this thread on ats?

please go back to highschool debate class, where the wanna be smart kids go to be cool but just learn to construe arguments in their favor and it strokes their ego.

that isn't logic because your illogically construed the definition of +. and that isn't an example of how anything is possible, which we don't need.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by LadySkadi

2+2= 5, when + also means +1 at the end. If we change the definition all number can equal to each other .

That means 5 can = 6 if = is redefined to also represent +1 to the number on the left.

WOW lets see how far this goes ..

[edit on 9-10-2009 by oozyism]

You've been hitting the monty python too much.

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest on to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it." Amen

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It's a bit like the old mathematical illusion of the missing dollar. I'll explain.

3 guys go to rent a boat and the rental price is $25

But there's 3 of them so to make it easy they all chip in $10 each making $30

The little guy in the boat shed is very pleased with himself and announces to his boss that he rented the boat for $5 extra. The boss, far from being pleased was furious, as this would totally throw his accounting off, so he tells the little guy to go and give them back the extra money. Not to be outdone, our little boat shed minder does some maths of his own.

He figures there's 3 of them and they contributed $10 each. They can't divide $5 evenly amongst themselves, so he figures he'll give them $1 each back and pocket the extra two for himself.

So we now have 3 guys having paid $9 each for the boat

3 X $9 = $27

And the little guy pocketed $2

That equals $29

WHERE IS THE EXTRA DOLLAR???

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aussie Bill

And the old trick, using fingers.

Count backwards on one hand using 5 fingers.

10, 9 8, 7, 6.

6 + the remaining 5 on your other hand is 11 !

Works on Hey Hey when harry connick isnt being a troll, anyway...

(onya Ossie!!)

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

if 2=7 why not just call it seven?? SIMPLIFY MAAAAN!!!
your over complicating the issue to get the desired result. in fact i would say you came up with the solution and then looked for the problem.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Sorry, forgot to add - Thanks for the boost

Just one or two more teensy weensy questions (I'm using very simple language to enable ease of understanding).

If + means add one what do X, / , and - mean?

Would that mean the equation 2 + - 2 = 4? or would we have to write it as
2 (+-) 2 = 4. I'm sure the quantum physics boys and girls would be impressed (my old kindy teacher certainly would)

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Aussie Bill]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aussie Bill

Just one or two more teensy weensy questions (I'm using very simple language to enable ease of understanding).

2 (+-) 2 = 4. I'm sure the quantum physics boys and girls would be impressed (my old kindy teacher certainly would)

you are a smart one

2+2 = 5 Have a think for yourself, don't let general knowledge get in the way.
2+2=4+1= 5
The answer reaches 5 if + means (+) and (total + 1).

What does this mean? This means all numbers are equal and unequal at the same time if the operator is change. Hence infinite number of universes.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

There are several tremendous problems with your logic, but let's concentrate on just two:

First, if + actually equals +1, would that not make that definition +1+1 (assuming that for every +, it means +1.) So...+1=+1+1=+1+1+1=+1+1+1+1=+1+1+1+1+1

Second, using simple elementary school math, if the equation 2+2 is written, assuming your form, it would become 2(+1)2. You may remember that with parentheses, if there is no mathematical symbol (+,-,x, etc), then you must multiply. In other words, it is 2x1x2, which equals...4.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ineverknew

2+2=4+1= 5
The answer reaches 5 if + redefined to represent (+) and (total + 1).

What does this mean? This means all numbers are equal and unequal at the same time if the operator is allowed to change. Hence infinite number of universes.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
correct me if im wrong but doesn't ++ = +1 and not +

i seem to recall that when i was learning C++ which technically actually means C + 1 or more correctly C plus more as opposed to just C

not sure if any of that made scene i think i blew a fuse on page 4

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Demandred]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HrdCorHillbilly

HrdCorHillbilly - Star for you that works.
I'm clad someone cleared this up I was getting confused before but I'm back on track now - please continue.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

2+2 = 5 Have a think for yourself, don't let general knowledge get in the way. 2+2=4+1= 5 The answer reaches 5 if + means (+) and (total + 1). What does this mean? This means all numbers are equal and unequal at the same time if the operator is change. Hence infinite number of universes.

Silly me here I am trying to keep up in the classical world - I just realised we are way down in the infinite possibilities zone. Now + is in infinite states so it could be that it = some thing other depending on the observer.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I get your idea, but not the symbology. What you might consider to express your theory more effectively is to give it another symbol (say#). The current mathematical symbols +, -, / and X have been around for millenia, otherwise you are going to need to explain what values each of the other symbols possesses.

The current mathematical system basically works on a system of opposites. + is the opposite of - and / is the opposite of X. Suddenly stating out of nowhere that + on its own means add 1 is one hell of a leap.

However 1 + 1 does equal 3 if you do it by logs.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

reply to post by ineverknew

2+2=4+1= 5
The answer reaches 5 if + redefined to represent (+) and (total + 1).

What does this mean? This means all numbers are equal and unequal at the same time if the operator is allowed to change. Hence infinite number of universes.

That dont make sense.

2+2 is not 4. just like -5+9 ain't 14.

This might open some eyes.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Well all you do is change the definition of '+'. If + was defined as +1, we have succeeded.

I don't know what school you went too but you can't just change the definition of a sign! It is what it is. 2 and 2 is 4.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

if you can prove this with items you will win a peace prize i am sure

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aussie Bill

Obviously, unless you're uneducated like the plebs who frequent society it would mean th-*BANG*

*head explodes*

*brains dripping down the monitor from the inside*

errr.. oO

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Stop using 'applied' mathematics, throw in the observer, and perhaps 2+2=5

Just saying, the observer makes the all the difference within infinity......

[edit on 10-10-2009 by zazzafrazz]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join