It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could there be ancient ruins on the continental shelves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I don't know too much about this sort of thing, and that's why I started this thread. I'm hoping someone who knows about this will be able to help.

From what I know, the continental shelves are submerged during interglacial periods. But I really can't help but wonder if there are any ruins of ancient civilizations on at least one of the shelves.

Not just that, but I spend alot of time in Google Earth. There are areas where there are islands, and around those islands is a shelf as well. And the ocean is only (on average) about 3,000 feet deep in these parts.

Some parts it's only a few HUNDRED feet deep.

If I'm not mistaken, the Ice Age ended about 9500 BCE. It started 100,000 years before that, but there were indeed (primitive) humans around at that time.

Here are some pics from Google Earth:

What got me interested in the first place:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/877c8d78e29f.jpg[/atsimg]

NW of Madagascar. Notice how it raises (or drops) abruptly. This whole shelf fragment (where there is no land, of course) is 250 feet deep on average - the whole thing. These static pictures don't do any justice, however. The closer you zoom in, you can really see what I'm talking about:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2eb91072663d.jpg[/atsimg]

East of Madagascar. The top-most part varies from 3,000 feet to less than 500 feet deep:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cca1bd3eb4c.jpg[/atsimg]

Australia South, and Thailand NW: Looks like it could have been connected at one point. But what is under that water?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc1b8f546487.jpg[/atsimg]

Near Antarctica:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae38a8da1fd0.jpg[/atsimg]

The Bering Strait, area. Looks like alot was uncovered back then.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86f544d75a8f.jpg[/atsimg]

I really wonder what could be down there...

I encourage you to go to Google Earth yourselves and check out these areas.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by impaired]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Have you read Graham Hancock's site about ancient underwater ruins?

www.grahamhancock.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orion65
Have you read Graham Hancock's site about ancient underwater ruins?

www.grahamhancock.com...

No, I didn't read it until now... Interesting!

Of course there could be things down there we haven't found yet, or things we haven't been told.

Another thing I wonder about is just what the hell is under all of that snow and ice on Antarctica? It was near the equator at one point. And we don't even have the technology to touch what's under that ice...

We can only speculate.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I gained some knowledge about your topic from these posts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Hi impaired
Great thread very Interesting i have often wondered this myself
star and flag

It will be good to sit back and receive a online history lesson on our past civilizations,the continents were they joined before shelf shifting .

I was in Hawaii last year and whilst joining in on a bus tour of Oahu, our guide told us that the Islands were once joined to Australia.
WOW!!

Thanks

Ocker

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple

Slayer's post is insane... Wow. I was just looking at the pictures - I'll get right to the rest. I can't believe I missed that thread like that.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ocker

Hi impaired
Great thread very Interesting i have often wondered this myself
star and flag

It will be good to sit back and receive a online history lesson on our past civilizations,the continents were they joined before shelf shifting .

I was in Hawaii last year and whilst joining in on a bus tour of Oahu, our guide told us that the Islands were once joined to Australia.
WOW!!

Thanks

Ocker

Hawaii is an archipelago...

Anyway, underwater archaeology is fascinating to me. It's always hard to date things because seawater does take a toll, and you cant use the law of superposition, obviously.

Theres probably tooooooonnnnnnsssss of things on the sea floor waiting to be found, at all kinds of depths.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
All that land is moving up and down over the years. That Mega-Thrust EQ in 2004 that caused that massive tsunami actually raised part of some island chains and they discovered ruins that were under the water before the EQ, so you bet there are ancient ruins down there...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.evs-islands.com...

"What once was, will be again"

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ocker

Please don't tell me you believed the driver. Hawaii popped up out of the Pacific all by itself. It was never, ever part of Australia or anything else. For as long as it has been, it has been Hawaii.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks
see I am learning already are you going to add anything else if so can you wait until I get some popcorn

reply to Schmidt1989

Thanks I did not realize that.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by ocker

Please don't tell me you believed the driver. Hawaii popped up out of the Pacific all by itself. It was never, ever part of Australia or anything else. For as long as it has been, it has been Hawaii.

But it has apparently been connected to (not a part of) of Australia.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by moniker

I am pretty sure Hawaii was formed from volcanic activity.

They (Australia and Hawaii) are and were joined by the ocean floor along with the rest of the land mass's.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by staple]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Outstanding beginnings of a thread, and well good subject worthy of study.

I've long been fascinated by the existence of various continental shelves around the planet, and how they fit in to the geology over the immense time spans.

The notion of sea levels rising and falling is not new, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention.

As we can see today, and in the recorded history of civilization that we still know about, many centers of Human activity and habitation occured near the sea --- and obviously, if a period of glaciation ended quite rapidly, say within a Human lifespan, and sea levels rose substantially, it could explain a great many of the various myths and 'creation' stories --- tales passed on by surviving generations, and altered, as stories often are, by the passage of time.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple

These are three very good threads. The first three that popped in my head, actually.

Since you stole my thunder with those, i want to make sure i add in these as well:

Cuban Atlantis Coverup Solved?

Science Proving The Global Flood Myth True

The importance to what the OP is discussing here is the mechanisms for how the sea levels rose so quickly, as well as some good information regarding coastal living peoples, etc.

The OP sees the obvious. Now he just needs to find the information that ties it together.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Hey guys.

Now, the reason why I am still posting as opposed to going to the other threads is because I feel what my OP is addressing is slightly different. Slightly. If I'm wrong, let me know!

Anyway, it's also looking like the area when the UK, Sweden, Finland, The North Sea, etc. may have connected to Greenland, and Greenland may have connected to Canada. Interesting in my eyes.

Check it out:

Obviously you know what you're looking at. UK at the bottom left, and Sweden and Finland towards the middle. Obviously the North Sea wasn't a sea at that point and connected these landmasses to each other and to Europe:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4600aec737e.jpg[/atsimg]

Next up! We have a more North Westerly view. North of Finland looks especially interesting. Not just that, but like I said it looks like Greenland may have connected (South-Western part of Greenland:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c34e4f0cb357.jpg[/atsimg]

I don't even think I need to explain the next picture. You do the math:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/451dc7f6d4dd.jpg[/atsimg]

And finally, a pic where I tried to get it all:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b26fd48df49e.jpg[/atsimg]

How many things haven't we found yet? I am so intrigued. Unfortunately, the sea elements probably broke everything down. Maybe not.

Damn!

And Texas dude: I didn't purposely steal your thunder. I missed all of those other threads and I came up with this on my own, thanks to Google Earth.

If I did steal it, it was totally 100% inadvertent.

Edit to add: The pics are offset by a little. They are not showing up in the thread at their full size, so please try to "offset the offset" if you get my drift!

You know where to find the full pics - in my profile or somewhere in there.

[edit on 10/9/2009 by impaired]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

impaired, have you heard of Doggerland? I'm certain there must be ruins in that area. Your last post reminded me of that. And I saw a special on some ruins discovered off the coast of the area near Israel or one of those countries. It may have been Naked Science. I'll have to see if I can find it

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger

impaired, have you heard of Doggerland? I'm certain there must be ruins in that area. Your last post reminded me of that. And I saw a special on some ruins discovered off the coast of the area near Israel or one of those countries. It may have been Naked Science. I'll have to see if I can find it

You the man! Jackpot!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/981b8cc25aec.jpg[/atsimg]

I am now going to research this. This is awesome. Thanks!!!!

new topics

top topics

join