It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Crypt Critters Halloween Writing Contest [Winners Announced]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9f46f6f4ad2.jpg[/atsimg]

Crypt Critters Halloween Writing Contest

From now until November 10

The idea is to write a story using a monster of any kind. Werewolves, vampires, the Blob... it doesn't matter as long as they're scary monsters. Maybe your monster is a human with no humanity in him or her at all... a psychopath. That's a monster too. Whatever you can think of will be just fine.

I'm kicking up the word count in this, right up to 1000. You can always check by putting the text into this handy program:

www.wordcounttool.com...

It's the one I'll be using to check each entry.

Also, since the Terms and Conditions of ATS are applicable, profanity WILL be removed from submissions.

Rules:

• Submit as a seperate thread in the Short Story forum.

• Title MUST contain [CCHWC].

• All T&C's apply

• No restrictions on themes. Use any situation you like for your story line.

• Contest runs until midnight on November 10.

• Submissions must contain at least 1000 words.

• One story per contestant. Member can replace story submissions at any time and as often as they like. Please U2U me for replacements.

Prizes:

• 1st place - 30,000 ATS points
  • 2nd place - 25,000 ATS points
  • 3rd place - 20,000 ATS points
  • Undetermined number of honourable mentions - 5,000 ATS points each

Note:

• All successfully entered submissions will receive Writer Status.

• The contest is open to all members of Abovetopsecret who have their 20 initial posts.

Note: Thanks to those who volunteered to be judges. Much appreciated as always

[edit on 18/10/09 by masqua]

[edit on 16/11/09 by masqua]

• posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:43 PM
    link   
    Yay! I love monsters. I've already started on my entry and your guidelines are right up my alley Masqua.

So far I have no monster but look out because soon there will be! (evil laugh inserted here).

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:50 PM
    link   
    I have my monster ready, elaine, and can't wait for... erm... it to rise again after a long rest.

The plot has been laid, the characters chosen. All that remains to do is write the story itself. I'm penning a long one and, you'll notice the word count is double the last contest.

[edit on 8/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:11 PM
    link   
    reply to post by masqua

Oh my. I believe that my story, once read, will do irreparable damage to the reader. So I ask everyone with medical conditions to think twice before viewing it. Consider this a warning. Just kidding people, I don't know what I'll come up with.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:43 PM
    link   
    I bet we're going to have a JILLION entries for this one...gonna need some judges with some Evelyn Woods under their belts.

Can't wait.

I dare you guys to try and scare me.
    Let's see what you got. ve fun.

Good luck, but have FUN!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:05 AM
    link   
    Well im in, especially if its horror...

I will see where my imagination takes me this time.. could be anywhere lol.

Be afraid, be very afraid.. I am.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:28 AM
    link   
    Hmmm. This one may take even more than a few hours to place the right frame of mind to begin thinking for this one.

Of course until the short stories start rolling in everyone is welcome to stop by Dark Days in the UnderWorld for some collaborative writing of some the more common creatures of the night. Not so much for the chills but the intrigue and a bit of the mood.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:49 AM
    link   
    YES! YES! YES!
    Iam all over this....

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:45 PM
    link   
    Good luck everyone.

KJ

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:41 PM
    link   
    Ooh-ooh-ooh

mememememe, I gotta submit this time. Were some great stories this past month, I want to contribute this time as well.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
    link   
    Two questions, first can the story feature multiple monsters? Can the story consist of multiple interlocking shorter stories describing an incident?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:41 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
    Can the story consist of multiple interlocking shorter stories describing an incident?

Absolutely on both counts!

My story will consist of a monstrosity and It's legion of squabbling miscreants.

Interlocking stories sounds great!

[edit on 9/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:57 PM
    link   
    Reply to post by masqua

Purrrfect.
    "Death of the Big Apple" is a go then. Muhahahaha!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:02 AM
    link   
    Just something I wanted to run by everyone who enters a story in this contest. I do not know if you all feel this way but I do. Every story that is entered deserves a star and flag from everyone else who enters a story. I feel this way because like I explained in my previous post I kinda feel like you are putting a piece of yourself out there for everyone to see. So if you enter a story, be sure to give your recognition to the other members who have entered stories as well. Not only that, but it shows a kind of support that the writers can feel good about with eachother. Just my idea though, I feel like every one who tries deserves my star and flag.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:13 PM
    link   
    reply to post by masqua

Under tc's can we put the word "explative" to infer an explative? Or he/she cursed or said a curse word without putting the word in? Just curious.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:49 PM
    link   
    reply to post by jackflap

I agree with you jackflap. That's a nice thought and I will be giving stars and flags to all our wonderful writers here.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:03 PM
    link   
    reply to post by ldyserenity

Sure, you can use [expletive] substitutions, but advise against any kind of censor circumvention which makes it plain exactly what word was being avoided.

The T&C's are very specific about what is considered profanity and not allowed anywhere on ATS:

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

Think gutter talk based on sexual innuendo and you've got the majority of the words not allowed. The rest would be associated with bigotry:

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

The English language contains 1,001,704 words and is growing daily.

www.languagemonitor.com...

Out of that million plus, there are perhaps 2 dozen specifically not wanted per the Terms and Conditions (not sure on that number - I'm guessing).

I suppose what I'm saying is that out of all those words available, I'm sure it would fairly easy to find a damned expletive that could describe the language of some Godforsaken jerk who screwed up royally and then got all pissy over it.

Hope that helps.

[edit on 11/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:08 PM
    link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Just something I wanted to run by everyone who enters a story in this contest. I do not know if you all feel this way but I do. Every story that is entered deserves a star and flag from everyone else who enters a story. I feel this way because like I explained in my previous post I kinda feel like you are putting a piece of yourself out there for everyone to see. So if you enter a story, be sure to give your recognition to the other members who have entered stories as well. Not only that, but it shows a kind of support that the writers can feel good about with each other. Just my idea though, I feel like every one who tries deserves my star and flag.

Thank you Jackflap for raising this important issue. This is something that I have felt since having discovered 'The Writer's Forum', and is something that I feel very strongly about, no matter where you go. Without a Support team net work, there really isn't a "Community Feel" amongst the people involved, despite their hard working efforts.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:24 PM
    link   
    Every time I see an OP which contains within it a request for stars and flags, my insinct is to NOT star and flag it unless the work that went into it deserves the stars and flags.

Asking for them is easy, deserving them is not and the high road is always the harder one to take.

Members who read the fine stories in the Writing forums will do the same as they do across ATS. They will star and flag excellence and not bother with what they consider 'not so excellent'.

It's easy to see which stories prompted stars and flags with a quick scan of the boards themselves:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
    www.abovetopsecret.com...

Click on the ones which have the most flags and you'll quickly notice two things that stand out: the work that went into them or the popular subjects they tackle.

That's what stars and flags were intended for, imho.

sp

[edit on 11/10/09 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:57 AM
    link   
    reply to post by masqua

I agree with you to a point. If someone just threw something together it is obvious. What I am getting at though is that quite possibly the writer doesn't know how to include links and center stuff to make it look great. Maybe they are not sure how to make proper paragraphs. It is obvious to me though that all the stories in the last contest were attempts at expressing something. They were thought about. I think they all deserved a star and flag from me. If someone is trying it is obvious too and they all were trying. So I believe that anyone who tries deserves my star and flag. By the way you definitely got my star and flag for your entry! I have to reply to the story thread still, but I want to read it again. Good stuff masqua!

Edit to add. Man, you have got to continue that. I dare not drop a reply in the middle of that! I am on pins and needles waiting to see what transpires. You have to take it further!

[edit on 12-10-2009 by jackflap]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join