It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US news media weigh in on Hey Hey skit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I think when it comes to topics like this one it needs to be talked about alot more, things are starting to get out of hand when it comes to the media,they need to put a show on tv and discuss stuff like this alot more, insted of makeing it out to be a big deal and pointing out the negs, when it comes to topics like this people are to scared to talk about as they might be looked upon as a racist for us to change the media has to start first.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm an American, and I didn't think it was racist. In fact, I had never even heard of "Hey Hey" or this skit until I thought I'd take a look at this thread to see what it was about.

I've seen nothing on the news, local or national, nothing on the news ticker at the bottom of the browser, nothing on the news headlines at various websites (mainstream and not), and nothing from my friends on places like Facebook and MySpace. Now, either I was completely missing something that was supposedly a BIG deal, or it's not as big of a deal as that story makes it out to be.

And please, when quotes from "The View" is almost half of the article, that means just about nothing. The only reason people started to watch "The View" again is because Elisabeth constantly made such a fool out of herself during the election (and it was funny as hell to watch).

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by BLV12

But they then go on to make racist remarks and label an entire country as racist, when it was 5 people out of 21 million.

Well, not quite.

It was the shows producers as well, and the audience which was laughing its collective
's off. One would presume they were fairly representative of Aussies, no?

Actually I respect the nature of Australians to be robust and in your face with their humour and impatience with political correctness. I find it refreshing. On the other hand you have to appreciate that others are different, and Americans in particular have such a history that sometimes there are places you just don't go; at least not without at least some political correctness.

Vive la difference.

So it's not ok for Aussies to "go there", but it's ok for Hollywood to go there in Tropic Thunder, Family Guy, Harry Connik Jnr doing a skit where he is painted black, and almost certainly dozens of other similar examples in US entertainment history?

The whole issue became an issue, when Harry started having a cry about it.
It then made news back in the US.

Mountains out of mole hills really.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

black face? Everyone talks about black face, but his face IS NOT painted BLACK, even though it is darker, he's just going with the skit. And he has the white fro to, well, as much as you can get with straight hair.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by lifecitizen

black face? Everyone talks about black face, but his face IS NOT painted BLACK, even though it is darker, he's just going with the skit. And he has the white fro to, well, as much as you can get with straight hair.

His face is black.

And there is definitely no white fro.

You might want to click on the link that has been posted twice to see for yourself.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Regardless of whether we think it's racist or not, nothing can be done about it anyway. The media folks are just wasting their time covering this because if the irate Americans that were offended by this skit even begin to demand justice they will in turn look like the whiney, cry baby type we've been seeing a lot of lately.

If this continues, America will once again be accused of trying to dictate their socially acceptable morales on the rest of the world. So I suggest, let's just allow the rest of the world to continue doing what they've been doing and disregard the politically correct folks in America that whine about everything that offends them.

All in the name of humor.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join