It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US news media weigh in on Hey Hey skit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It would have been much funnier if they had been singing Man in the Mirror. Or even Thriller. And the background singers should have been dressed like young school boys.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Nice hypocrite really

Harry dressed up as a black man himself and did the same 'schtick'

After Orlando Jones gives initial speech, that is none other than Harry Connick Jr dressed as a black man complete with afro doing a parody of black southern preachers.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by justaman2009

What, one of them women on The View had an opinion about us down under.! Oh my good lord, please give a darn brandy now. Just look at their fancy attire and I wonder what sort of homes they live in, life they lead, etc, etc. They should be the last to say anything about anybody else for a start.

Yes it was a stupid thing on Hey Hey, but I had a close friendship with a man from the US not long back and so help me he did not know when I was being sarcastic, didn't get the Oz sense of humour, nada.

We're just a bit different down here as far our outlook or humour goes, but we usually give people a fair go. No worries mate.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Was it racist? I do not think that was the intention of the performers at all. At the same time I can understand why people would consider it racist and why people would take offense to it.

As I am sure you all know, in our history there have been white performers who would where "Black face" for the soul purpose of making fun of black people and making them look.... Well, stupid....

I think it is only natural for people to look at these performers who were wearing black face, and question their motives considering all of that. Once again, I do not think the intentions of the performers was racist, but I certainly understand why and how people would interpret the act as racist.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
yeah its not good as i said before these people are born into the media, they know what they are doing and when the time is right to pounce on something that they know that will create a stir they will,alot of people were watching that show that night i think Harry Connick Junior new what he was doing, look up hey hey on the news and his name is all over it hes famous person again i didnt even new this guy the whole world does now, thanks to hey hey

[edit on 9-10-2009 by justaman2009]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
i think Harry Connick Junior should of just said nothing , he is making australia look bad along with media news, and it makes white people look as there racist people.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
well it was a stupid skit, inspiring memories of the minstrels etc. it would never have been aired in th UK. Is that a good thing? I think so. although some argue political correctness gone mad. I think we are a better society for it in many ways.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Well i just watched the piece and i found it very funny especially the 5 backing singers in the beginning. Am sure those guys weren't doing it to upset people and am sure those guy aint Racists. As for Harry, i think he said that just to make himself look good.

I just want to say that i don't follow the PC way of life, never have. Unlike most.

Tsom87

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I spent two years in Brisbane.

It's pretty simple. Australians have not been trained to be as PC as us.

They have pretty thick skins when it comes to jokes.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by muggl3z
I spent two years in Brisbane.

It's pretty simple. Australians have not been trained to be as PC as us.

They have pretty thick skins when it comes to jokes.

I hope they stay that way! They know how to have fun down under.

“God bless America. God save the Queen. God defend New Zealand and thank Christ for Australia.” - Russell Crowe

Tsom87

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
In my many dealings with Americans, I have concluded that they have mastered the art of hypocritical deflection. This is the perfect example: We show one skit of the Jackson 5 (who were BLACK in case you are too ignorant to notice) by dressing as black people and they jump all over us, accusing us of being backward and racist. Yet they seem to forget the MANY MANY times they have done the same thing themselves - and very recently too.

Does anyone remember Robert Downey Jr dressing as a black man for the movie "Tropic Thunder"? That was done for the "comedic factor" and yet the Seppo's seem willfully ignorant of this when someone else does it.

This is simply an "any old excuse" situation for the Yanks to have a go at another country to feel a bit better about themselves.

Oh, and yes, the American sense of humour is unique and ignorant of itself. They just don't get it - another shining example of American ignorance.

Any American who is offended at what I have just said - bloody good. You lot need to take a good long hard look at yourselves before pointing the finger at other countries - this, of course, does not apply to ALL Americans, just the willfully ignorant who think this Hey Hey skit was racist and makes Aussies "backward".

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
You know, the week before this episode, there was a sketch on red faces where they made fun of Japanese people, or atleast, what I would consider, portrayed them in an offensive manner.

Why aren't people talking about this too?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
there's a lot of 'hype' re the 'Jackson jive' skit on hey hey last wednesday night. For those who want to read the reaction it received here, you can find it on many Australian sites. I will not repeat it here. suffice it to say that there was no racism intended.
Some people hark back to the dreadful treatment our indigenous people received in the past. Please remember that it was the British who invaded this country and committed atrocities. At least, we, the present population apologized for the past wrongs, things we, as the present population, did not commit but rather, acknowledged.
Australia is very much a multi cultural nation, not as 'politically correct' as some others but we don't hide behind the shame of the past.
I believe this whole thing has been taken out of context and people should butt out of our way of life. I love this country, we still have freedom of speech and I sincerely hope we can retain our way of life without interference from other nations

edited to correct spelling

[edit on 9/10/09 by bluebird2]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluebird2
I believe this whole thing has been taken out of context and people should butt out of our way of life. I love this country, we still have freedom of speech and I sincerely hope we can retain our way of life without interference from other nations

THIS!

Except, if you don't mind mate, I wouldn't mind amending the end of that statement to say "without interference from other nations who ignore their own shortcomings to hypocritically dictate how others should behave."

I love my country, I love my people. We treat each other like human beings, we don't take offense at the smallest little petty thing. Yes, we have our own atrocities in our past but at least we don't deny it, in fact we have done everything in our power to make things right - and we know we still have a ways to go - this in contrast to countries like America who willfully forget their own atrocities when pointing others out.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
surely it is racist to say only blacks can play other blacks

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
THIS!

Except, if you don't mind mate, I wouldn't mind amending the end of that statement to say "without interference from other nations who ignore their own shortcomings to hypocritically dictate how others should behave."

re the above quote:
that's ok, you can fill in what you think is required.
Not many countries can stand upright and say they've not committed wrongs in the past. it simply annoys me when others start pointing the finger at us and call Australians 'racists'. Generally speaking, we are not. there's bad elements in any country and race. I cannot see what all the fuzz is about. there are more important issues in the world to worry about beside a skit.

edited

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
although some argue political correctness gone mad. I think we are a better society for it in many ways.

No - we are creating Nanny States riddled with thought crimes, populated by people who never truly say how they feel or what they are thinking.

IRM

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

No - we are creating Nanny States riddled with thought crimes, populated by people who never truly say how they feel or what they are thinking.

IRM

Well said, some of the apologists for political correctness like to waffle that it is about a "politer" society- these people must be smoking some good stuff, does anyone think we have a politer society than we did 50 years ago!?!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Some are suggesting that Australia doesn't have a historical racism?
I'm sorry, but do any of you know the history of Australia and the Aboriginal people?

There have been major racial issues in many parts of Australia.

But, that aside, this is just another minor incident that has been blown way out of proportion IMO.

The reaction of Harry Connick Jr was a personal one, which he has a right to. If he felt it was inappropriate or insulting, he should have the opportunity to say so.
But that is where it should be left. It doesn't need any great debate.
He has stated that he wasn't comfortable and felt he needed to openly distance himself from it. Job done.

The media banging on about it is the problem here, not that it happened in the first place. Some people find it acceptable humour, and some don't. You'll never change that because humour is just that complicated.

If you find it wrong, even though it is explained and presented as humour, you have the choice to switch off.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Oh Boy what a beat up. Can't anyone see this is a media driven thing. Each minute of news is priceless and they just keep it going as long as possible because they don't know how to report real news. Pad it out make a mountain out of a molehill all for news sake.

With Hey Hey's return after years in the doldrums everyone was casting a critical eye on the show. Will it be good enough to return or not. I think it is good enough to return regularly on Saturday where it should be but not with over sensitive people like Harry.

Red faces is just that over the years there has been some terrible stuff - you take it or leave it. Stop being so serious all the time lighten up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join