It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US news media weigh in on Hey Hey skit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

US news media weigh in on Hey Hey skit

www.theage.com.au

Americans have condemned the Hey Hey It's Saturday Jackson Five skit, with US TV talkshows, news bulletins and talkback radio debating whether it was racist and if Harry Connick Jr was correct to take a stand.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

Mod Note: Do Not Alter Mod Edits

[edit on 10/9/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I just want to express my feelings and say i am sick to death of hearing the word racist, i was watching a australian show hey hey saturday when the guys did the jackson 5 , now i think it was a bit dumb for them to do that but hey we are only human but for people to say it was a racist act makes me think why ... harry connic jr said this to make him look good and hype up the media i am not a racist, i love all culture backgrounds.. the people before us has done this to our society and the media is making it worse. australia is not a racist country the media just makes it to be if i went anywhere in the world you would find something racist going on i watched a movie called white chicks when Shawn Wayans and Marlon Wayans played two white girls and made the look dumb was that racis no, they made lots of people lough but when it came to the jackson 5 on hey hey it was, are white people looked upon as a racist ask the media they will do anythink to get a taste a Racism and when it comes to the aboriginal culture well we have done everything we can to help them by housing assistance, special medical services, Abstudy grants and special privileges and we said sorry, for what the people before us its history. lets all change by geting rid of this word racism..... well i am human to all people that thinks australia is racist dont believe everything you here and see on tv.

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2009 by justaman2009]

[edit on 8/10/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
racist?

Couple of things

- Red Faces ( The act in which this occurred ) is a amateur event aimed at getting some laughs. Its purely tongue in cheek.
- If myself (pale skinned white boy) was to do an act on... mike Tyson... barack obama or .. nelson Mandela, the act wouldn’t WORK, if I presented myself with no makeup.
- Robert Downey Jnr wore black makeup and so forth in his movie 'Tropic Thunder' I don’t remember any blowback from that?

Australia doesn’t have the racism roots of African Americans. Yes, if this was on American TV it may have caused upset, but I don’t think it would have.

People are taking this way to far, its quite disturbing.

* What I did find amusing, was this act was performed on red faces by the same people a decade ago. The lead singer back then was black, the lead singer today is white. As is the love of Michael Jackson!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well first off...puncuation please. That was one hell of a marathon run-on sentence. But back to topic. As for America we don't look at Aussies as racist even after this. Mr. Connick had his own little flub on MAD Tv here that got him in deep water because he got himself into a skit where he darkened his skin and acted like an African American. He was crucified in the media for it. As for this "reunion" show, it was in VERY POOR TASTE. And while "certain laws" did not come around to being changed till around 1973, along with the Aboriginal situation, media outlets will jump the PC/racist bandwagon that is now being spread thanks to the U.S. media over opposition to Obama. Most sane people , in any country, will realize that the bulk of Aussies are not racists. The group that performed the skit needs to be knocked upside the head as well as the producers and directors, but don't listen to the media outcries. As you know the media doesn't speak for the population.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
People are taking this way to far, i was watching the view i think it was called and one of the ladies said the aboriginal people have coped it bad her from us now that really made me mad cause first of all thats a insult to me and my family as we are white and have aboriginal blood in our family second , i dont mean to be rude but they have got a lot of benefits do a google on it

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
so its ok for Shawn Wayans and Marlon Wayans to play two white girls in the movie white chicks

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
How can a country be racist? Individuals within a country or government can be racist and should be delt with on a case by case basis but painting an entire country or polulation as racist is counter productive and will only create more racists, of all colours.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

the media makes a country racist

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Connicks a hypocrite- displaying double standards.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

Australia is no more racist than any other country.

edit: spelling error

[edit on 8-10-2009 by lifecitizen]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I am an American and when I heard this story about the guys in black face doing a Jackson 5 routine I thought it was hilarious and that it is such a crock to say it was racist. What about all the racist stuff Chris Rock says about white people. I am white and I think it is hilarious. In fact, he is my all time favorite comedian. Love the guy.

We live in a world full of oversensitive people and they are such a pain in the ass. Always screaming Racist! Homophobe! etc everytime you make a joke or say something they did was wrong. They are like the little children that tell their parents they hate them everytime they tell them no.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I can kind of see where he's coming from with this.

In the rest of the world, blackface (or whiteface, or any kind of dressing up like someone from another culture) is seen as kind of adolescent humour. There's no malice intended, more often than not.

In the USA, it means something different - it's a throwback to a period in time when that kind of thing was racist, and where there was a very definite malice behind it. So it's as shocking as a cross burning.

I see stuff like this on Japanese TV all the time. Fake plastic nose, pillow down your shirt, a bit of white makeup: presto! Instant German. I don't find it the least bit offensive.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Boy oh boy, I sure do hate to see our country condemned and labeled as racist for the actions of a few. A very amateur few at that.

Hey Hey is a terrible show. Sure, maybe once upon a time many years ago it was worthy of watching, but the whole "Red Faces" part of the show was always murder.

Personally, I didn't really see it as all that bad, but I can certainly understand how Mr Connick Jr did. I think he summed up his feelings quite well. Darryl apologised, the network apologised, and I think even the absolutely terrible group who was responsible for the skit apologised.

That being said, the media is blowing this way up, and to have our nation labeled as "backwater racist" is pretty harsh in my opinion.

As for the show itself, it should have stayed in the past where it belongs. Seriously, we have much better television than that!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I see that Sony is threatening legal action over anyone that calls Harry Connick Jr a hypocrite......they were showing his little skit this moring on tv and i have to say, Harry, you looked a little more tanned than usual in that video my hypocritical friend, but if sony says you were playing a white preacher then it must be true.

The part that is getting left out of most reports i have seen from the US is that the main guy is from India originally.
Now before this happened we were being castigated in India for being racist towards Indian students in this country.

So, a guy of Indian heritage has gone on painted in a white face, infront of a bunch of guys in black face, and we are getting ripped apart even more for being racist pigs and last time i checked i had nothing to do with that skit at all ..... humans eh, crazy

[edit on 8-10-2009 by fetidchimp]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences.

Explanation: I, as an Australian citizen, am totally disgusted by the Constitutional origins of both the White Australia policy and the current racial demonizing that is going on here in Australia and elsewhere.

FYI.....

Commonwealth Of Australia Constitution Act
Chapter I. The Parliament.
Part V - Powers of the Parliament
51.The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to: -

(xxvi.) The people of any race, for whom it is deemed necessary to make special laws:

Personal Disclosure:
:shk:

P.S. Aussies may individually not conform or agree to the above legal standard but as a whole and on this issue in isolation, we have no moral high ground to preach from! Would any Aussies care to refute?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I agree Obscure

Hey hey was crap back in the day and it's still crap now- why they did a reunion is quite beyond me- why revive crap?

I didnt see the skit only the aftermath and the much ado about nothing.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Just a note on the performers of this skit, they are of multicultural backgrounds including Indian and Pakistani and are a group of doctors.
Their response to this outcry can be found here

On a more personal note, racism does exist in Australia, as in many other countries. So does sexism and ageism and all the other isms that you can come up with. I have been a victim of many of these biases myself, BUT they are not considered socially acceptable, are only carried out by an ignorant minority and no television station would deliberately televise anything that would land them in such hot water.

To see some of the comments online today really makes me despair, not just for the reputation of Australia but for the overly sensitive knee-jerk reactions from people that haven't even seen the skit and apology.

The things that offend other races and cultures aren't necessarily considered to be offensive globally.
We are so intent on ensuring that we don't offend anyone that it has somehow become improper to make yourself black whilst impersonating a black celebrity group.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
you have now entered the media age.... some of the stuff the put on shows like current affair the and the news are just crap they are puting false information and garbage in peoples heads today, what happen to normal shows like married with children,brady bunch,i love lucy, lol its all crap junk these days

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The Wayon brothers and Dave Chapelle can put on white make up and make fun of white people without a peep from anyone other then laughter.

Why can't white people put on black make up and make fun of black people?

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Racism is just a word designed to divide.

Personally I didn't laugh, but I probably would have if they had had a black man in white face for Michael.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
or yeah an i am a ozzy to, white growing up in a outback aboriginal community the only white family we got bashed broken into robed called white c's and why why i dont know i was not racist we tryed to get along, so yeah iv seen both sides of racism and i seen white people like this to the way they live drinking alcohol and drugs both white and black need to relize we are all human they need to relize where we all came, from start teaching religion alot more, and all diffrent trpes of religon. we need to get rid of the bad and start puting the good back in, i think the media needs a wake up call

[edit on 8-10-2009 by justaman2009]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join