It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When sceptics fight back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Skeptics challenge conspiracy theorists

news.bbc.co.uk

Conspiracy theories ranging from the Apollo Moon landings being hoaxed to 9/11 being an inside job have become increasingly prevelant on the internet in recent years, now a new movement is set to challenge them.

"Conspiracy theorists have used the internet to co-ordinate increasingly slick attacks on the accepted versions of events, but now a group of scientists and sceptics has decided it's time to organise and fight back."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.unexplained-mysteries.com

mod edit, to correct title to reflect title in article

[edit on 8/10/09 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Lots of recent articles about the conspiracy field in general have been popping up in the MSM.

Source; The internet era has changed everything. The web-only film Loose Change, which questions the findings of the 9/11 commission, had already been viewed 10 million times by May 2006. It has had a massive impact. But the sceptics are also using the internet to organise loose networks of informal meetings.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Bring it on!

The truth shall prevail (hopefully)....

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Please contribute to the existing thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

M.S.M ridicules conspiracy theories yet again
news.bbc.co.uk...

same URL:

When sceptics fight back
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I do not know why they would waste their time refutting conspiracy theorists. Everyone knows you cannot change a conspiracy theorists mind, no matter how many facts you throw at them.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I don't know why everyone make it seem as if there was a war between conspiracy theorists and skeptics when they both want the same thing: truth.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelur
I don't know why everyone make it seem as if there was a war between conspiracy theorists and skeptics when they both want the same thing: truth.

Many conspiracy theorist not only want the truth, but the government to also be wrong...

And for the second reason is why they lose much credibility in society. Truth or not, the side intentions only hurt ones stance.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I think a poll determining the percentage of conspiracy theorists who are regular smokers of marijuana would be useful. From other sites I have looked through, there seems to be a strong correlation between the two. Perhaps paranoia brought on by chronic marijuana use is what makes many believe in fantastic conspiracies.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

LMAO, the best post ever. No wonder I made you a friend the first day I was on here.

It does seem foolish to try to persuade people who can convince themselves that everything around them is a conspiracy. I am not sure what good it will do for legitimate scientists to produce a bunch of facts, because the theorists will always come up with another outlandish reason for why it had to be the government.

This may be grounds for a new anti-drug commercial. This is your brain.. shows a picture of the President. This is your brain on drugs.. shows the President morphing into the Reptillian leader of the NWO.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by StinkyFeet]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
makes you wonder.... if they feel the need to refute the CT's then there maybe some truth to what many of us on here suspect and they are trying to protect something...

if we are just paranoid nut jobs why bother? if the numbers of people who are starting to buy into the conspiracy are starting to grow then there must be some reason for this or is it TPTB are starting to worry that the sheeple are starting to awaken from their media induced slumber? (i guess slumber is not the word i think COMA would be more apt).

the harder they fight us the the stronger our cause becomes.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

The same reason I would help a blind person who was about to walk into a sink-hole. Compassion.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

yes but just because the government says theirs a sinkhole after some corporate lobby group paid that govenment millions to make you believe there is a sinkhole so they can sell more safety equipment, that doesnt nessisarily mean there is a sinkhole

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Ongoing discussion found here. Please feel free to contribute there.

Thanks.

Thread Closed.

TheBorg
Forum Member and Moderator

top topics

join