It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police stop more than 1 million people on street

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – A teenager trying to get into his apartment after school is confronted by police. A man leaving his workplace chooses a different route back home to avoid officers who roam a particular street.

These and hundreds of thousands of other Americans in big cities have been stopped on the street by police using a law-enforcement practice called stop-and-frisk that alarms civil libertarians but is credited by authorities with helping reduce crime.

Police in major U.S. cities stop and question more than a million people each year — a sharply higher number than just a few years ago
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Civil liberties groups say the practice is racist and fails to deter crime. Police departments maintain it is a necessary tool that turns up illegal weapons and drugs and prevents more serious crime.

Police records indicate that officers are drawn to suspicious behavior: furtive movements, actions that indicate someone may be serving as a lookout, anything that suggests a drug deal, or a person carrying burglary tools such as a slim jim or pry bar.

The New York Police Department is among the most vocal defenders of the practice. Commissioner Raymond Kelly said recently that officers may stop as many as 600,000 people this year. About 10 percent are arrested.

"This is a proven law enforcement tactic to fight and deter crime, one that is authorized by criminal procedure law," he said.

~~~

So there you go, it's officially a police state!

news.yahoo.com

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
In Los Angeles the LAPD don't do that

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Police records indicate that officers are drawn to suspicious behavior: furtive movements, actions that indicate someone may be serving as a lookout, anything that suggests a drug deal, or a person carrying burglary tools such as a slim jim or pry bar.

I wonder what the police would do if EVERYONE started carrying "burglary" tools like this. Like, just walking down the street, to work, home from work, to their car, etc... Since when is it a crime to look suspicious or carry a TOOL. When I say tool, I mean tool. I'm an electrician, and I have plenty of tools, but just because I have them don't mean I'm about to burglarize something. I hope enough people see this and can band together and start carrying tools down the street, just so the fascist police force knows who and what they're going to be dealing with if they try anything funny.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I just got done reading about this from my yahoo page and was getting ready to start a thread on it! lol Too slow. Oh well.
What have we been saying on here all this time? It sounds like they are starting off small to see how it goes and how people will react, but soon it'll get out of hand. Of course they try to downplay it as a crime prevention tactic, but people can't possible be fooled by this nonsense any longer. What's next after random searches? We all have to walk in single file lines and go through security detectors set up all over the place? Sounds stupid, I know, but I bet people thought it sounded stupid for cops to be doing searches like they are. So, anyone else up for giving up liberty for security?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I just got done reading about this from my yahoo page and was getting ready to start a thread on it! lol Too slow. Oh well.
What have we been saying on here all this time? It sounds like they are starting off small to see how it goes and how people will react, but soon it'll get out of hand. Of course they try to downplay it as a crime prevention tactic, but people can't possible be fooled by this nonsense any longer. What's next after random searches? We all have to walk in single file lines and go through security detectors set up all over the place? Sounds stupid, I know, but I bet people thought it sounded stupid for cops to be doing searches like they are. So, anyone else up for giving up liberty for security?

Same here... People now a days are quick with the posts.

I find the article odd... In a way. It feels almost like a buffer. F or everyone to get ready for random searches, get used to the idea if you haven't been affected. I never experienced it, but I guess this is going to become more common. I almost got the vibe that this was pushing from more random searches of Whites, to make it okay. When the act in itself doesn't make sense.

If we make it race equal, then it's okay... Right... It's all wrong. I really can not believe that it's legal, and has been in practice since the late 60s. It seems to be very unconstitutional, if that even means anything now a days.

So in a way, I guess we should all get ready for random searches, when ever the police feel we look suspicious. So 10 percent or so success rate, makes this a good thing? Those numbers equal fail in my book. When's the last time the teacher gave Jimmy a high five for getting a 10 on a test....

90 percent failure, 10 percent net...

What nonsense.

Since when would this be considered protecting and serving? This is harassment, and treats everyone like criminals. Which again is unconstitutional.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty right? How the hell does this process even fit that adage?

We can blame the privatization of the criminal system for this one. It's just business baby, nothing to see move on...

[edit on 8-10-2009 by squidboy]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – A teenager trying to get into his apartment after school is confronted by police. A man leaving his workplace chooses a different route back home to avoid officers who roam a particular street.

These and hundreds of thousands of other Americans in big cities have been stopped on the street by police using a law-enforcement practice called stop-and-frisk that alarms civil libertarians but is credited by authorities with helping reduce crime.

Police in major U.S. cities stop and question more than a million people each year — a sharply higher number than just a few years ago

I would have to say this news story is versed to produce a message which is incomplete. I do understand poor people often at times live in neighborhoods riddled with poverty. Unfortunately police have an understanding such neighborhoods have big problems with crimes involving victimization of individuals by perpetrators carrying very real weapons. Sadly there are innocent people born into these neighborhoods along with people who are employed near these areas. The heart really does go out to the child who fears the stressed out war torn police officers who chose to help the public against harmful behaviors. This news story really needs shaping up. So many folks read to much into a story when the gaps in the reality information are so large.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Isnt this knonw, by state and law to be illegal??? they have to have resonable suspiciosn..they cannot by law, just firsky anyone! especially, since everyone knows, the polie can plant evidence on you* this is a sad but true fact of life.
man, if things start falling apart, feel sorry for the policve..im willing ot bet well 1/3 of those million at least, will want some kinda anger payback* i guess if it came to that, the police will shoot people anyway...
amaerica the beutiful the great..not anymore..thnak you justice system

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Funny, how the police wont touch sub humans, who work and steel for places like AIG, bank of america, big business sub humans.same as congress members...but the citizens, its ok... funny indeed

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If they have a 10% arrest average nationwide, that's getting 100000 criminals off the streets- at least temporarily. Where's the problem, other than the police should be frisking 2 million people/year and getting 200000 criminals off the streets?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

the police should be frisking 2 million people/year and getting 200000 criminals off the streets?

We have soldiers that are supposedly dieing to protect our freedoms. Yet people that share your view point are ready to give them up to any one that offers them "protection". I hope that those that share your view point can overcome your fears and cowerdess and understand why a free society must truly be the home of the brave. Retain your rights!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Not everyone should be treated like a criminal in the name of security. There is no need for this at all. This is against what our country was founded on. Innocent until proven guilty is a phrase that is just going to become just that, a phrase. Giving up your rights, your freedom, your liberty all for security has only made you a slave. In my old neighborhood, you would see shooting happens during the day time, but yet I don't see these people going to jail. Then at the same time, I'm seeing people going to jail for stupid stuff that should even be considered a crime. So let's say you are just walking down the street doing whatever it is that you do, a few cops pass you by and decide that they want frisk you, they take you aside people walking past you looking on while they pat you down and find a swiss army knife on your key chain, they consider that to be a lethal weapon you could use to harm others and they arrest you. They might just let you go, but perhaps the arresting officer is being a prick and decides to charge you with carry a concealed weapon. Is this fair? Is this justly removing the evil criminals off the street as you put it? It sounds stupid, but you would be surprised what cops would take you in for if they feel like using their "authority".

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Police don't stop and search people randomly in my area, or anywhere I go. I don't live in or walk in ghettos. You do know these programs target high-crime areas, correct?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The police sure are a strange breed that’s for sure. In my misbegotten youth I was forever getting jacked up by the LAPD and West Hollywood Sheriffs.

Enjoy it while it lasts because a few decades down the road and you are old enough to be their father it’s hard to get them to take you seriously or as a threat! Oh well what they don’t know doesn’t help them.

So now in my old age I have taken to stopping the cops and questioning them. Excuse me what’s your purpose here. Does your superior know and approve of your conduct. Why are you bothering this person and that one?

I love questioning cops. My favorite is asking them if they have any illegal contraband on them or any non-regulation weapons.

Cops are like dogs. You need to take the upper hand off the bat and speak with authority and without fear.

Remember Police harassment can also mean you harassing them.

My best advice is to let the police know that the citizens are policing them too, and be one of those citizens.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
In Los Angeles the LAPD don't do that

In LA they do worse than that.

If you're from LA or even So Cal you know that.

Who are you trying to kid?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
That's not happening here in my area.

Maybe it will catch on here soon.

At my age it might be fun to be frisked by a young rookie.

Just kidding.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The whole purpose of this is to run someone's name for an outstanding warrant or to bust them for some minor non-violent offense, which shouldn't be a crime in the first place. It is not as much about crime as it is about collecting cash for the system through the violation of constitutional rights. When the rights of the majority are sacrificed for the benefit of a very few, it's not a good sign.

In a just society, the courts would see to it that cops never have the right to go on witch-hunts and pick out individuals indiscriminately. My guess is the number of convictions is a lot less than 10%, since many of these encounters are probably not logged. Also, I would like to see what kinds of crimes these guys are being busted for. One can surmise that very few of those arrests have anything to do with keeping the streets clean.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

What, you think drug addicts , gang bangers, and those with outstanding warrants have money to pay fines, or would pay them even if they did? Rounding them up doesn't generate money, it costs money, but if it gets criminals off the streets, it is worth it.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

the problem is society is still set up to deal with criminals using methods such as jail/ prison. sticking someone in a cell in a facility bursting at the seems with inmates is not any sort of method of treatment an enlightened society would use. i remember once reading a post on ats that went a lil something like this...

if someone steals... abundance.

if someone kills... love.

and so on and so on.

police officers are keepers of the peace not harassment officials.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by onequestion]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
If you know Masonc signals or have lodge symbols on your car you are seldom given trouble fro Texas law enforcement officers even when carrying cases of beer out to your huge dually pick up truck illegally occupying two handicapped parking spaces while handicapped people are painfully having to make their way through the nether regions of huge parking lots while the cops just smile and nod and exchange pleasantries as they acknowledge the presence of their illegally parked brethren.....If you want to know why cops can get away with what they do you must understand that their are criminals hat they are obligated to ignore or assist in their activities and everyone else is to be used as income producing slaves of the judicial system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join