It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bulk Dehydrated foods at Costco

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

I think food for a year part is based on 2000 calories a day.

That is a great point, that I had to bring up to some friends of mine just this week.

My emergency store is not intended to provide my current overly bloated diet. In any SitX, the first thing to do is cut back on calories and intake, and begin rationing. The SitX diet should have nice mixture of protein, sugars, and fat, and should hopefully provide Vitamins A and C. It can also be suppllemented by a simple multi-vitamin.

My current 4-6000 calorie day should really be 2000, and in an emergency, 1000 would suffice, and in an extended emergency, I could probably live a good while on 600-800 calories per day.

The growing youngsters will get their normal share, but us overgrown adults with some extra insulation under our skin, will have to adjust quickly! What I consider to be a year's supply, could probably be stretched to 18-24 months, if the situation looked that grim!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

you know what GRA I'll make it easier for you and others to make the right decision NOW.

Take a look at this ok ,now tell me which one you want buy ?

waltonfeed.com...

Now ....here's my thread. You want to save even MORE !!!!
Read the whole thread. Buy a vacuum sealer and mylar bags.
It so easy get the buckets from fast food restaurants. Buy the lids
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't forget to star & flag it if you want too ok

Why are people freaking out on this Costco deal ?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I ask the same question as you; The Utopian Penguin.....

Why are people freaking out on this Costco deal ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

after all... They are making available a product, most likely from another supplier--- at a reasonable cost and availability in one's local area.

a one year supply of dry-survival foodstuffs is a real specialty item to stock...and i doubt very much that any Reginold Goldfinger aristocrat would send Jeeves the butler to a 'Costco' for dry vittles....which limits their Sales opportunity.

So what if a mega corp is providing a service that other mega corp grocery stores do not provide.

I don't frequent 'Costco' or even the other warehouse store 'Sams'...
so i don't know if they wholesale malt & hops products with carbonation, in a can or keg.

If they do - then i'm going to patronize them, because one can subsist on a brewski diet for a long time...& suppliment that diet with k-rations, C-rations, MRE's or some of that other dehydrated stuff.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Go back over my post and look at the one I broke it all Down.
I didn't bother giving the cost comparison between the Costco one and the supplier one.

I don't think your really saving 200 dollars.

I believe,I think (just my opinion) your getting OK price and there dumping possibly A cheap wheat grinder on you.

It's freeze dried

I go to Walton feeds I get things that might sprout.

Plus more calories. My protein isn't TVP with chemical flavoring.
and it costs less.

If you got peanut allergies or your lactose intolerant you can't eat it.

Would I Buy the Costco one ...no... I would go straight to the supplier. Get exactly what I want. If I spend 200 dollars I get free shipping.
I don't want TVP products.

Personally I already have most of this stuff done on my own.

I pick up a 7 day just encase kit from mountain House it cost me a whopping $125
The pouches are good for seven years,weight ten pounds,it fits in my pack.

I don't mind eating them.
7 day Just in Case

I take my $800 go to Waltons feeds I still have almost $200 to spend there.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

excellent response sir... and well said

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It seems that Costco is selling dried foods for $800 / per person.

That's nearly half of what all the other internet companies are
quoting.

Question is: Is that $800/per person/ per year truthful?

I don't know.

Must say: replying to a thread is a PIA on this forum.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

great post thank you, i visit costco often and will look into this

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
reply to post by whitewave

Great response Whitewave
Here's A few links for everyone else.
DIY - Long term food storage
waltonfeed.com...
Whitewave has A thread on everything else.
Preserving Foods

Thanks for the nod, TUP. Someone else said that Costco was no longer offering this. I haven't bothered to check it out because I don't need to stock up on any more food.

I always found it cheaper to do it myself but for those who would feel more comfortable with pre-packaged preparations those kinds of set ups are not a bad deal.

There are a load of places in Utah (image that) offering bulk dehydrated foods but I haven't seen any that are willing to eat the exorbitant cost of shipping. It may say "free shipping" but I guarantee you that you paid for it one way or another.

Besides, half the fun of being a prepper is doing it yourself.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MADCZAR
YOu guys all talk tough but if the # really did hit the fan you would be lucky just to stay sane. The First infected tooth, the first cold winter, watching neighbors starve as another poster said id rather die trying to save this world than live in one that resembles mad max. We need to move forward as a society people need to start growing there own food.
canning is a great way to preserve food. Set up some solar cells to offset your electrical cost, a wind turbine. So if everything does go to crap you wont be sitting in front of your closet with a shotgun rationing out dehydrated food from costco. Organize your neighborhoods to pull together in case of emergency. Im not saying everyone is wrong for preparing for a disaster but you will never be able to stockpile enough to survive long without organizing into groups. How bout only voting for people who will end are constant state of war so we can use all that money to make our nation fiscaly sound again. Dont give up yet on this world we live in because trying to pick up the pieces will be near impossible. Heres a real easy solution to alot of are problems Hemp.
Wouldn't eat be nice to also just grow a little green medicine and chill out with freinds with out having the Feds put you in jail to protect petrol profits.

You know what man, I would fight for my rights ANY time ANY where. Don't sit on your a$$ typing on the computer telling us what we are all about when you have no idea. In fact I bet you're a teenager, who has done nothing to prepare for any type of situation what so ever. So please, stick to keeping your words to yourself while we try to get ready for when TSHTF. Thanks!

Originally posted by on_yur_6
reply to post by highlyoriginal

There's not much you can do if people won't listen. Just keep preparing for yourself. Hell, even my wife isn't fully on board. It really rubs her the wrong way with all of the closet space I have taken up storing food/water/supplies. At least I don't keep my ammo stores in the closet. Most people just hope for the best and don't think things will ever change. Those people normally don't study history either. History is seriously about to repeat itself.

Well after today with Obama winning the nobel peace prize, my father decides he's on board with me now! He says he believes Obama is the anti-christ and that war is inevitable now... funny because just 2 days ago he thought very differently. I don't care if he changed his mind over something stupid, I'm just glad he changed his mind. I also saw him today looking for deals on ammo to stock up more, which made me even happier since I've been pushing him to grab ammo everytime it's on sale. We've been stocking up on ammo for a bit now, and have a plethora of weaponry available to us in case we need it, I feel safer now more than ever. But yes you are right about history repeating itself, and those who do not read/learn about history are doomed to be apart of the repeating (so it looks like the whole government skipped history class in high school).

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Big thanks man , I'll be dropping by my local cost-co

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
You guys all have to kidding. If the world goes to hell and food supplies were cutoff, or contaminated, do you think this will save you?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
If you are inclined to want to order food to stock up, take advantage of this Costco offer.

I checked Shelf Reliance, the company that makes this stuff's website. If you order a one year supply through them, it costs you $1257 for 5 less cans though it does include some nice shelving.

The Costco deal at $799 for 78 cans of food is enough to feed one person for a year. So, cheaper by $458 and you get more food. So, the Costco price works out to $66 per month vs $104.75 per month if you buy direct from the company.

Do it now if you're going to do it. The Costco price on this is only good until 10/18.

Realistically, we will have some problems with food in the days or years ahead. Either we will be hit with skyrocketing food prices because of our crashing dollar, or we will face shortages because some manmade event (like what's happening in CA.)

Wise to be ready now while we can, imo.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Yes, the Walton Feed one year supply's cheaper, but you get a lot less variety. For the difference, the Costco one's going to provide better balanced and healthier meals.

Walton's great for supplementing with additional basics but I prefer the Costco product for overall planning.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The problem I have is that all these foods are stored in #10 cans that have 30-50+ servings per can. Once you open the can it will only be good for a couple weeks or so. That means that it is possible that the food will go bad before you can finish it once it is opened, unless you want to eat Potato Chunks for a week or two straight. If you had a different meal every night it will cause you to open too many cans,more than you could probably finish before they "go bad" due to breaking the seal.

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamLael

Yes, the Walton Feed one year supply's cheaper, but you get a lot less variety. For the difference, the Costco one's going to provide better balanced and healthier meals.

Walton's great for supplementing with additional basics but I prefer the Costco product for overall planning.

No your not getting better nutrition.

I already researched the Costco deal in this thread.
Read this ?
www.costco.com...

With the extra money,I'm getting a sprouting kit.
waltonfeed.com...

Here go buy $800 dollars worth of this,your better off.
www.chlorellafactor.com...

Here's another great place for one year kits
www.usaemergencysupply.com...

[edit on 13-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
The problem I have is that all these foods are stored in #10 cans that have 30-50+ servings per can. Once you open the can it will only be good for a couple weeks or so. That means that it is possible that the food will go bad before you can finish it once it is opened, unless you want to eat Potato Chunks for a week or two straight. If you had a different meal every night it will cause you to open too many cans,more than you could probably finish before they "go bad" due to breaking the seal.

What are your thoughts on this?

Okay, we are already living on this stuff but not entirely. We purchased several large supplies over the last couple of years from "www.yourfoodstorage.com" and began to use it immediately. We learned to grind grain and make a plethora of breads, drinks and everything else that we could find to use our grains NOW before it becomes an emergency. The open cans and buckets store perfectly in our storage room while we top off the jars in the kitchen as needed.

We have chickens but sometimes they refuse to produce enough eggs which is now okay because the powered egg mix works great mixed with real eggs or to substitute in breads etc. The can has been open for at least a year and we have not seen any sign of spoilage. we are about 1/3 through this can and expect it to last and last.

Potatoes are freeze dried and store just fine with everything else. We have opened 2 separate cans last year (hash browns and cubes) and have been feeding on them periodically when we are out of fresh ones. Home grown are far better than store or canned. We will be sure to grow way more in the spring.

Noodles from the can are the same as store bought and go fast. A #10 can is enough for 3 meals (family of six). Still once opened they will last until needed again.

Apple Granola cereal, Get more of this stuff, we can't keep it long enough to determine "open can storage" longevity.

Beans work like any other bean or legume, shelf life excellent open or not. Remember to soak your beans overnight prior to cooking as they inhibit enzyme absorption if not soaked or sprouted. (same with grains)

To complement the beans we have opened a can of "Grandmas Chili" and it also seems to store just fine. We are using this only as a supplement to our own chili recipe as it certainly will not ever win in a chili cook-off.

We seem to go through a lot of rolled oats now that we have them available. Soak these overnight also and add spelt for a healthier breakfast.
Open storage still not a problem here.

Dried peas and carrots work the same way but once again, fresh garden veggies are the way to go!

Rice stores just like it always has but I would suggest that you get some variety from other sources. We like the brown and wild rice better than the "parboiled" but that is more difficult to store. (must have cooler temps)

Don't forget the "feel good" foods like cookies, brownies, and other goodies as this stuff will help you keep your sanity during stressful events.
They also store very well.

We have found that our emergency stash of fine wine must be consumed immediately upon opening as it turns sour by morning.

Hope all this helps, it stands to reason to learn to use your storage now rather than wait till its an emergency and you are standing there with your loved ones staring down at a 5 gal bucket of whole wheat and a can of powdered milk.

Live long and eat well!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Text
We have found that our emergency stash of fine wine must be consumed immediately upon opening as it turns sour by morning.

Buy a hand pump vacuum sealer for the wine bottles. Will cost

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Not WW but the flu is awful here in tulsa, It seems like all the kiddos are sick right now and my best friend pulled her daughter out of preschool all this week and next week too to try and keep her healthy.

My son has it, had his second doctors appt this afternoon because he couldn't catch his breath without coughing. I also am sitting here with a pounding headache and achey, we will see what happens in the next few hours.

I wish we had a costco here, I haven't seen anything like this at Sam's. We have been stocking up on extra food every paycheck, but my hours at work suck right now because its so slow, so 800 dollars would be a lot for us to do all at once too!

[edit on 16-10-2009 by gluetrap]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW
This may look like a great deal, but after the first week of this dehydrated food your blood pressure will be really high and you will be pooping constipated bricks.

The idea is to rehydrate the food before consuming it. If you do not comprehend this simple survival fact, I feel sorry for you and your family if things get bad.

That is most certainly NOT the idea. These are not MREs, these are dehydrated fruits and vegetables. Have you ever tried to rehydrate one of these and then eat it? I have, and it was terrible!! I would rather starve!

The idea is to remove the water so that the shelf life is longer, and they are smaller and lighter to carry, and you eat them for nutrition. The water comes from another source, but you do not want to put the water back into the fruit!

What about Jerky? Are you going to rehydrate that as well?

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
OK ...first of all ...

Costco has had freeze dry food for A while now.
Yes that was A bit of A deal.
All kinds of group packages there.
They have A meat variety pack for $199.99 for 288 servings.
288/200= about $1.44 per serving.
7 to 10 days delivery

[edit on 9-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

sorry I just wanted to comment that that's only $0.69/serving. Really good deal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join