It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bulk Dehydrated foods at Costco

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 10001011

I have two dehydrators. I even use them on extra veggies like various peppers. I made a large bag full dried peppers I can chop up and season my food with.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
star and flag

least sum 1 has time to mention the essentials of survival

you forgot 1 little thing www.costco.com...|3605|79162&N=4035101&Mo=3&pos=9&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=7916 2&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC17-Cat3605&topnav=

lololol

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
YOu guys all talk tough but if the # really did hit the fan you would be lucky just to stay sane. The First infected tooth, the first cold winter, watching neighbors starve as another poster said id rather die trying to save this world than live in one that resembles mad max. We need to move forward as a society people need to start growing there own food.
canning is a great way to preserve food. Set up some solar cells to offset your electrical cost, a wind turbine. So if everything does go to crap you wont be sitting in front of your closet with a shotgun rationing out dehydrated food from costco. Organize your neighborhoods to pull together in case of emergency. Im not saying everyone is wrong for preparing for a disaster but you will never be able to stockpile enough to survive long without organizing into groups. How bout only voting for people who will end are constant state of war so we can use all that money to make our nation fiscaly sound again. Dont give up yet on this world we live in because trying to pick up the pieces will be near impossible. Heres a real easy solution to alot of are problems Hemp.
Wouldn't eat be nice to also just grow a little green medicine and chill out with freinds with out having the Feds put you in jail to protect petrol profits.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I do like the brew kit

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

The more dehydrators the better. Takes a long time to put away any significant amount of food with only one dehydrator.

With all those peppers, you might check out my salsa recipe on the wild edibles thread. Canning salsa itself is a good way to preserve food while serving as a flavoring.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Originally posted by MADCZAR
YOu guys all talk tough but if the # really did hit the fan you would be lucky just to stay sane.

Actually, some of us can walk the walk not just "talk tough".

id rather die trying to save this world than live in one that resembles mad max.

Pretty bold passions showing there madczar. Would you like to explain to us what you're currently doing to try to save the world?

We need to move forward as a society people need to start growing there own food.

Recent legislation has made growing our own food practically a crime. It can be confiscated. Why would anyone want to go to the time, trouble and expense to grow their own only to have some government gobbler confiscate it?

canning is a great way to preserve food. Set up some solar cells to offset your electrical cost, a wind turbine. So if everything does go to crap you wont be sitting in front of your closet with a shotgun rationing out dehydrated food from costco.

Canning is a great way to preserve food but without adequate security measures to protect your food stores, you might as well let the government confiscate is because the neighbors certainly will.

Organize your neighborhoods to pull together in case of emergency. Im not saying everyone is wrong for preparing for a disaster but you will never be able to stockpile enough to survive long without organizing into groups.

Could you provide pointers on how you organized your neighborhood? I'd be really interested to know. My neighbors (most of them) are entitlement minded opportunists who steal things out of my yard now. I hate to think what they'll do when the SHTF.

How bout only voting for people who will end are constant state of war so we can use all that money to make our nation fiscaly sound again.

I didn't see any of those choices of politicians on the ballot. Haven't for years. Are you offering to run?

Dont give up yet on this world we live in because trying to pick up the pieces will be near impossible.

Some of us AREN'T giving up. That's why we're preparing to survive.

Heres a real easy solution to a lot of are problems Hemp.
Wouldn't eat be nice to also just grow a little green medicine and chill out with friends with out having the Feds put you in jail to protect petrol profits.

Chillin' with your friends over a little hemp is hardly the answer to the world's problems. It doesn't need to be illegal but it does need to be regulated. Our founding fathers warned us that our type of government was only for a Christian people; it wouldn't work for anyone else. They were right. Our once great nation is in free fall and "wishing" will not prevent it's decline. Those of us who hope to make a better world are preparing to survive so that once the dust settles we can rebuild something better.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Great response Whitewave

Here's A few links for everyone else.

DIY - Long term food storage

waltonfeed.com...

Whitewave has A thread on everything else.
Preserving Foods

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
White Wave I agree with most of what u are saying. U
can google how to make a wind turbine only hard part is the transformer wiring which u could prob just buy one. How to organize ur community just call over some close freinds and decide on a plan of action in case of disaster. If they know a doctor or a mechanic someone with skills there would probally be alot of bartering going on in the world u think and could actually happen in a case of social breakdown or disaster. Alot of people dont own guns it would be a good idea to know some that do. Just because we disagree doesnt mean u have to make it personal. I just like to keep a sense of humor. Maybe we could pull together and come up with a way for basic low energy refrigeration. Another good idea would be fungi or mushrooms very healthy and easy to grow, have you every tried QUorn tasty stuff. I really think most people are good and would pull together in tough times. Without the social hierchery above us people would probally be much happier. Hell icould finally grow my passion without fear of prosecution. Then you could come over and laugh at me for being wrong and we could have a hoot. Then I would follow u home handcuff you and steal all your dehydrated food. Just kidding. Oh lastly a good idea would be to have alot of manuals for things like engine repair solar cell construction since energy would be so rare. Wood burning stove might save your life to.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Lastly are founding fathers were the farthest thing from Christians and old George imported smokable herb seeds. Im glad when disaster hits you will be there to set up another Christian based failure of a system. See we have so much to talk about. Im sure Jesus wanted us to exterminate a race with whisky and small pox. Im met God once when I did a massive dose of Salvia. He said I still needed some work before he would come over for poker night. And by the wayI am a student of history particularly
Antiquity. Id rather see a Vedic system of goverment set up atleast they like sex and free will.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MADCZAR
Honestly how pathetic have we become. Stock piling dehydrated food,
get a backbone stand up and use your energy to try to change the world.
Instead of stockpiling crap that some gang of thugs will just come take from you. Your buying your salvation from the same facist system who is scaring you into buying it. Be scared very scared you can do nothing to help others save your self. Dont worry about anyone else unless it benfits you. If tptb exist they must read post like this and pee there pants laughing. Look at these cowardly little monkeys they deserve to be dominated. So huddle and hide and pray for salvation while chewing on your dried food because all your water has gone bad. Not me I will be on the street with anyone else who wants to stand against the long night. Hopefully people will wake up and we can regain are liberty as free men and women before we let it slip away. So stop stock piling worth less food and start talking to everyone u know about how u feel about the society we have created. Education and communication are are swords.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Stockpiling food isnt just for a riot/martial law/revolution scenario. For instance, during hurricane Fran, my family was cut off from the rest of the world for a week or more and this would have been very nice to have then. Luckily we had good friends and neighbors that helped get us through with cold showers and hot meals.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Why buy it?

If you have a gas stove the pilot light provides enough heat to dehydrate...just place the fruit or veggies or even meat on screens and place in the oven.

A basic dehydrator can be had at mal-warts for about $40 dollars

and for around $150 you can get a good rectangular model with 10 shelves from midwesternresearch.com...

Also...and I have one of these from the same company is an electric smoker for up to 20 pounds of meat at a time...and with an adjustable temp. gauge from 100 to 220 it can double for other things as well.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Well, if the price is good enough, then why do it yourself?

Fresh fruit is fairly expensive, and then you have the equipment and time involved, so if the Costco price is slightly more than fresh fruit price, it sounds like a GREAT deal!

I enjoy pickling and canning and dehydrating, but I won't pass up a good deal either. $0.40 can goods are a far better deal than me doing it myself, and it looks like this Costco deal is similar.

to the do-it-yourselfers! But, don't pass up a good deal!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Is there a shelf life to the dehydrated food? I'm assuming it's a long time, but are we talking a year, 5 years....10 years etc?

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Exemplar

exactly your freinds helped you out my point the whole time. Did Jesus show up with some fruit rollups.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
From my research, it appears that Mountain House makes the best tasting, most filling long term foods. Their stuff is Freeze-Dried and lasts 25-30 years. Although it is a tad more expensive and is stored in #10 cans that have quite a few servings in them.

A 1 year supply for 2 people (3 meals per day, with desserts, etc) will run you about $7k or so. But for it to last for 25-30 years and still taste great and be filling might be worth it. It will probably last much longer than 30 years, although the taste or appearance may suffer.

www.mountainhouse.com...

[edit on 9-10-2009 by DJM8507]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Perhaps...but one of the reasons why I can and pickle and grow and smoke and dry etc. is that I like to know what goes into my foods.

I am not about to rely on some corporation if I can do it myself.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well ... ! there you GO
....a part of the solution to the 9.8% (or much higher) unemployment

a sizeable number of these people could start up homebased food preservation businesses...hawking their products around the neighborhood at first --> just like the Latino gals with their homemade burritos
(i encountered this type of fledgling business in Phoenix AZ)

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ok I checked this deal out a bit.

This where Costco gets it.
www.shelfreliance.com...

This one of there One person packages similar to the one Costco is presenting
It's $868.00 You can do the comparison between the two.
www.shelfreliance.com...

Here they have different bulk packages.
www.shelfreliance.com...

And for people that can't afford bunk packages
individual cans and by the case organized by food groups.
Free shipping on orders over $200
www.shelfreliance.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pocket_Aces
Is there a shelf life to the dehydrated food? I'm assuming it's a long time, but are we talking a year, 5 years....10 years etc?

The pdf of the nutritional information says "optimal shelf life is 10 years or 25 years" it depends on the product.
And the "Meats" are SOY and if have food allergies to nuts....
www.costco.com...

So after checking it out I would say it's seems like a deal.
if you don't mind SOY
I don't know if I would store it for A full 10 years.
I think food for a year part is based on 2000 calories a day.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Something to consider, just in case anybody hasn't already.

Dehydrated or Freeze-dried fruit is missing the majority of its moisture. Therefore, if someone is trying to survive off of this source, it becomes even more important to be able to obtain and purify water!

I am not knocking dehydrated foods, they are very important, especially in the wilderness, but good old-fashioned canning has its benefits as well, and H2O is one of them.

You could survive quite awhile without water, if your foodstuffs were canned, but not if they are dehydrated.

I choose to store both. I have a good store of Cans and Bottles, and I also have some dehydrated stuff in case I have to hit the trail! I am also lucky to have a well, but who is to say whether or not that water would be any good in a SitX.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join