It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama: Taleban can be involved in Afghanistan future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Barack Obama: Taleban can be involved in Afghanistan future

www.timesonline.co.uk

President Obama is prepared to accept some Taleban involvement in Afghanistan’s political future and is unlikely to favour a large influx of new US troops being demanded by his ground commander, a senior official said tonight.

Mr Obama appears to have been swayed in recent days by arguments from some advisers, led by Vice-President Joe Biden, that the Taleban do not pose a direct threat to the US and that there should be greater focus on tackling al-Qaeda inside Pakistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.google.com

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This story comes after a declaration by Taliban from Afghanistan

The Taliban has said it poses no threat to the west in a move apparently intended to influence the intense debate over the future of the war in Afghanistan by suggesting weakening ties to al-Qaida.

The Taliban statement said it is fighting to expel foreign invaders and to establish an Islamic state.

"We did not have any agenda to harm other countries including Europe nor [do] we have such agenda today," said the statement posted on a known Taliban website. "Still, if you want to turn the country of the proud and pious Afghans into a colony, then know that we have an unwavering determination and have braced for a prolonged war."

The Taliban also noted that those dying or displaced in Afghanistan "were not involved in the [9/11] events of New York" .

Taliban announces that it poses no international threat

I think that's a welcome move by Taleban and Pres. Obama though still undecided on Afghanistan matter may gain something positive out of this approach.

What is your opinion in this matter?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

WOW

Finally catching on, Obama?

I figured he was ignoring the truth and staying in Afghanistan for some other reason. Looks like he is just slow in the head

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Why call it Taleban and not Taliban?

Anyhow, I know people here will call him a traitor due to lack of understanding of the current situation.

If these former CIA operatives become involved in Afghanistan's future, then the only thing that will happen is one day they will be forced to Nuke the country.

Why not just completely leave them alone and have ZERO involvement in their political future?

I mean why not?

Who is he to say that they can have some involvment in a foreign country's future?

What is this?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well he has not choice, Taliban is mostly the entire population of Pakistan and yes Afghanistan so unless he is planning to kill the entire population of those two countries and repopulate with a more "friendly religious crowd" then he has to compromise or suffer the consequences, I mean our soldiers, son and daughters and love ones.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well he has not choice, Taliban is mostly the entire population of Pakistan and yes Afghanistan so

Wow dude
You should really buy a plane ticket

That's an insanely crazy hugely generalizing statement that is just soooo innacurate that it must be a reality from another parallel universe.

WOW

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Well he has not choice, Taliban is mostly the entire population of Pakistan and yes Afghanistan

Marg, this is simply untrue. Taliban is an organization distinct from the populus, and supported by many, bit not all.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Though I agree with your sentiment but as per the current situation it's practically not possible. Bush invaded the country with "Shock & Awe" and the ripples of that are still not calm. Obama can't just drop everything and move out blatantly. If he does, that will be a defeat like Vietnam War.

I think he is trying to approach the matter sincerely and conclusively and at the same time going after the Al qaeda which did 9/11.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Hey I am no "dude" you know that, I am a girl

Anyway, why are you so much taken with my statement, when you know very well that if you ask any Pakistani in their country if they are taliban supporters they will said yes.

Still Afghanistan is the same mostly favor the Taliban and that is their way of life.

No big deal, perhaps when America learn to understand the sentiments of the people in the middle east, their priorities and affiliations we may find some common ground.

But until then we will be fighting the people in Afghanistan for the rest of our lives.
or you prefer the "taliban people".

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Anyway, why are you so much taken with my statement, when you know very well that if you ask any Pakistani in their country if they are taliban supporters they will said yes.

This is completely untrue
for your information, the truth is that most Pakistani think that Bin Laden doesn't even exist and that he is a fictional character created by U.S.

Secondly, you do know that if you ask many americans during the Bush era that many people supported this war criminal.

More americans supported Bush the war criminal than pakistanis support the Taliban.

Your logic is extremely flawed.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Why would Obama keep troops in Afghanistan and want the war there, but when he was campaigning he talked about taking all troops out of Iraq and bringing them home. What is in Afghanistan that he wants.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Just looks to me like Obama is throwing a little support to his muslim buddies in the Taliban. Why would any one in their right mind allow a bunch of people to have any involvement in a nations government that believes women should die for being educated, or should be allowed to be killed because somebody raped them?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Well dear that is you opinion and I have mine que sera sera.

Pakistan support for taliban is well known until the US gave them incentives and aid to act like they were not.

Read the Pakistan history,

here this will help

topics.nytimes.com...

As long as the US keeps coercing and funneling tax payer money their government will sing to the tune of the US government even when their people will not.

The return of the Taliban

www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

As long as the US keeps coercing and funneling tax payer money their government will sing to the tune of the US government even when their people will not.

You are looking at it the wrong way
U.S. knew for YEARSSSSS that the money they were sending to Pakistan to fight terroists, Pakistan was actually using that money to send to fund projects to attack and threaten India.

But.... they still kept sending Pakistan money!!!

In the small scheme of things these terroists are horrible people, in the big scheme of things the financers of terroism are worst than the terroists themselves.

This is knowingly funding terroism!

And read this
www.expressbuzz.com... oHSKVfNWYm0=&MainSectionID=oHSKVfNWYm0=&SEO=A+Q+Khan+nuclear+network&SectionName=VfE7I/Vl8os=

Hope that helps you

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

And so the Saudi government and the saud house they are very well known for supporting terrorist schools.

And we still call them "our friends in the oil business".

Sometimes Modern Academia the hypocrisy of what goes on with our nation our soldiers fighting for what the government calls a duty and what we are fed by the press is just too much to understand.

I know you know the truth but sometimes things seems to get mixed up.

I also understand the rhetoric, "no all of them are terrorist" but when you give them a choice of who they rather support the US or their taliban that happens to be their own people, then you understand that money talks and BS walk.

Sorry if I was to strong on my statements.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Dude, i'm not muslim or have any muslims in my family tree
don't worry i'm not at all offended

but the truth is the truth nontheless

Barlow also discovered that top officials were “hiding these activities from Congress, since telling the truth would have legally obligated the US government to cut off its overt military aid to Pakistan at a time when covert military aid was being funneled through Pakistan to Afghan jihadists in the war against the Soviets”.
www.expressbuzz.com...

my only point is that the majority of what you know is nothing but a puppet show, it's all a facade used to deceive you, nothing more.

Any intelligent person knows that the majority of human beings in any society will always love and want freedom, this can never change.

To think that an entire country supports terroism makes no sense whatsoever.

Don't worry, i'm not at all offended, I have no reason to be.
I'm just saying that's all.

And that statement about freedom is true and sometime it results in terroism. Because I don't know if you are aware but the U.S. put Mussaraf in power in Pakistan, they put a military dictator in power that had less than 4% of electoral vote.

Imagine if Pakistan was as powerful as the U.S. and they put a military dictator in power in America and that guy declared a state of emergency.
What do you think would happen?
don't you think people would fight back and pakistani media call these people terroists?

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Aaaah, the Taliban.

The same people that hanged a boy for having a few dollars?

The same people that marry 14 year olds?

The same people that outlaw any schooling for women?

I don't understand why my fellow countrymen had to die there fighting the SAME Taliban?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

And that statement about freedom is true and sometime it results in terrorism. Because I don't know if you are aware but the U.S. put Mussaraf in power in Pakistan, they put a military dictator in power that had less than 4% of electoral vote.

I wanted to say that but you got me first, yes I know, I am glad you know too, that is also the truth when it comes to Afghanistan elected officials and Iraq government.

But what can I say is all in the name of freedom.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is nothing new the US has considered this approach before , making the Taleban a part of a future government in Afghanistan . Bush even considered this , just do a google search and you shall see .

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

This is totally off the wall! What in the world is going on? The Taliban assisted terrorists didn't they? They facilitated and protected them didn't they? We don't negotiate with terrorists do we? Obama is absolutely off his rocker. I believe he will go so far as to have a Taliban Embassy inside the U.S. That's next.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join