It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain-to-brain communication demonstrated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Brain-to-brain communication demonstrated

www.kurzweilai.net

Brain-to-brain ("B2B") communication has been achieved for the first time by Dr. Christopher James of the University of Southampton.
While attached to an EEG amplifier, the first person generated and transmitted a series of binary digits by imagining moving their left arm for zero and their right arm for one. That data was sent via the Internet to another PC. The second person was also attached to an EEG amplifier and their PC flashed an LEDs was too subtle to be detected by the second person but was picked up by electrodes detecting visual cortex activity. The PC deciphered whether a zero or a one was transmitted, with an end-to-end bandwidth of about .14 bit/sec. "B2B could be of benefit such as helping people with severe debilitating muscle wasting diseases
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Video link ..
www.youtube.com...

Very interesting , cant help but wonder just how this tech will develop over time . I like how in the list of posable uses for this tech they list helping people with severe debilitating muscle wasting diseases as well as the potential use in video game applications

www.kurzweilai.net

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This technology must be alot more advanced than this, comeon now.

I hate these things, oh yep we suddenly developed the tv but its been around for decades thing.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Video link ..
www.youtube.com...

Very interesting , cant help but wonder just how this tech will develop over time . I like how in the list of posable uses for this tech they list helping people with severe debilitating muscle wasting diseases as well as the potential use in video game applications

www.kurzweilai.net

LOL that was my first thought. GAMES! Imagine it. The WII started the motion wars which Microsoft and Playstation are now jumping into. Imagine what this technology could do. We have a long way to go, but I remember typing in the code on a Commodore 64 just to play a simple game of Pong which would be lost on reset. Then the Atari 1040ST... OH what a gaming rig! What's that bit over there? What's a mouse? When Elite came out I freaked. Then came the graphics accelerators. Remember the Voodoo2's? Riva TNT2Ultra? Then, the game Descent. With an option to use mirrors and a sight-block between the eyes to allow you to play in 3D! Of course, this led to unpleasantness like motion sickness, anuerisms, etc... Flat panel monitors. Just a fad? Desktop replacement systems, controllers, the Nintendo's Duck Hunter with the gun and all.

Now this. A binary system (which can be easily incorporated into programming) that allows the user to simply THINK of the action he wants to commit. I believe this is going to require a lot of discipline on the part of the user, though. Think of trying to draw a picture using this instead of a tablet.... oof. Eventually, I'm sure they'll fine tune it, but the potential is limitless!

/excitement

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm a grad student and lab tech in an EEG lab - sounds like a fun experiment to reproduce!

Thanks for story

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
haha, I was just watching a lecture by Russel Targ where he claimed B2BCOM is possible by placing your head onto a friend's head and thinking of an image. This is probably a bit unrealistic, but obviously B2B is possible without the use of advanced technology. You just need to understand the extent to how energy really gets around.

top topics

join