It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Abortion Law: Details To Be Publicly Posted Online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Oklahoma Abortion Law: Details To Be Publicly Posted Online

www.huffingtonpost.com

A new Oklahoma law requires physicians to disclose detailed information on women's abortions to the State's Department Of Health, which will then post the collected data on a public website

Oklahoma women undergoing abortion procedures will be legally forced to reveal:

1) Date of abortion
2) County in which abortion is performed
3) Age of mother
4) Marital status of mother
5) Race of mother
6) Years of education of mother
7) State or foreign country of residence of mother
8) Total number of previous pregnancies of the mother

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
so on one side you have them saying it's no big deal cause there is no private info being handed out. on the other they are saying that the questions can id someone from a small town.

i don't think this should be happening but mostly for how much it is going to cost to do.

$281,285 to implement, $256,285 each subsequent year to maintain.

^^^^^^that much money to try and shame women into not having an abortion...unreal

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Well that will be a state where I will not be having an abortion by choice. After all is the citizens of the particular state the ones that allow their state government run their lives.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Living in OK, this caught my eye. The title is accurate, but a little misleading. The data that is to be collected is turned over the the Dept of Health. They will post the information an a webiste (that is actually written into the wording fo the law). However, the data is a statistical analysis. Think collecting data and making graphs. There is nothing personally identifiable in the collected data anyways.
I find myself a fence sitter on the issue of abortion, so I wont make judgements on the law itself, but it is being questioned in court.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Right away I thought this to be an appalling intrusion into private matters.

Given a second look it all appears to be essentially anonymous information. No doubt, information that is collected anyway for various statistics and the respective bureaucracies that demand them.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The state government is forcing this?

Well, it IS constitutional... while I don't personally agree with it, I'm glad the system is working as intended. If the public opinion is against this, it'll only be a matter of time until it's repealed.

Now, if this were passed federally... I'd be pretty pissed.

God bless the USA, more power to the states!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I believe the only way to educate people is to collect data on a specific topic.

I am VERY pro-choice, but have no issue with this. This information should be kept.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Well the first question I would have is Why? What purpose is this data going to serve? Will it be used to target certain populations? And to what end? Um, don't think I like it.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
So??? What's the big deal!? They are keeping and tracking a statistical model regarding abortion - so what! Sounds very reasonable to me. If one were at all interested in trying to determine who requires the most intervention with respect to unwanted pregnancy, then it would seem to me that this data would be essential. We track proverty. We track education. We track earnings. We track moving and migration. Heck, the Census tracks just about everything! So now that they want to track something so near and dear to the liberals they try and claim the information is forbidden!? BS - TRACK IT!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

i don't think i like it much either...
250k a year and in my opinion it is all about trying to shame women into not having an abortion

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Do you live in Oklahoma?

They have the rights to mandate policies such as this one. So, unless you're a citizen, there's nothing you can do / should be concerned about.

If you do live in Oklahoma, maybe you should speak with your state officials.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

That's your opinion.

My opinion is that your opinion is that of someone with extreme paranoia.

Shaming people out of abortions? If someone wants to abort their own child, I'd imagine sharing a little background info would not make or break their decision.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I would be more inclined to think "propanganda", it would be used to inflame the right to lifers to further protests and clinic bombings. No, I don't think we need to fan the flames any more than they already are.

Abortion is a Private Matter and should not be up for public scrutiny.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I don't see how it could be propagandized. It's numerical information that is in theory alreadys available but without the hard data to back it up. ti coudl provide insight into reasons why women get abortions.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
They will use this to show that women who get abortions at young ages will also get more schooling and better jobs due to the lack of having a baby early. pretty soon you wont meet a 20 year old who hasnt had at least one during highschool.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

That's a good one.

There's also the chance that the stats will show counties with higher rates of abortion have lower overall crime rates as well.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by barrelmaker

I don't see how it could be propagandized. It's numerical information that is in theory alreadys available but without the hard data to back it up. ti coudl provide insight into reasons why women get abortions.

The reasons women get abortions are in most cases logical and well considered. It doesn't take statistics to figure them out.

I see no real harm in keeping numerical information, but I think it would cause some women to fear their right to privacy was being invaded.

We don't keep numbers, for example, on how many women use birth control or why.

The whole process of recording this data would tend to discourage women from making that choice, and IMO that's one major reason why the State of Oklahoma is doing it.

I guess one could always move to another state.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I believe the only way to educate people is to collect data on a specific topic.

I am VERY pro-choice, but have no issue with this. This information should be kept.

I agree with you. And I have had an abortion - so that gives be "cred" to speak on the issue.

However - - how/who do I trust that this truly will remain anonymous?

What if down the line - another law is passed to reveal the names? Such events have happened.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You shouldn't have to worry about the names being taken. It's not one of the data points written into the law and it would be a violation of HIPAA. If something like HIPAA gets repealed, you'll have a lot more to worry about than whether or not someone knows about an abortion you may have had.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by barrelmaker
reply to post by Annee

You shouldn't have to worry about the names being taken. It's not one of the data points written into the law and it would be a violation of HIPAA. If something like HIPAA gets repealed, you'll have a lot more to worry about than whether or not someone knows about an abortion you may have had.

There have been - in our time - data collection which was anonymous - - - and then later ruled to allow names to be revealed.

"Once Bitten - Twice Shy"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join