It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First line of Bible translation error..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Ellen van Wolde her Inaugural speech document can be found on:
www.ru.nl...

[edit on 10-10-2009 by hawk123]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
More on her explanation:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Professor Ellen van Wolde, a respected Old Testament scholar and author, claims the first sentence of Genesis "in the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth" is not a true translation of the Hebrew.

She claims she has carried out fresh textual analysis that suggests the writers of the great book never intended to suggest that God created the world -- and in fact the Earth was already there when he created humans and animals...

...The first sentence should now read "in the beginning God separated the Heaven and the Earth"

According to Judeo-Christian tradition, God created the Earth out of nothing.
Prof Van Wolde, who once worked with the Italian academic and novelist Umberto Eco, said her new analysis showed that the beginning of the Bible was not the beginning of time, but the beginning of a narration.
She said: "It meant to say that God did create humans and animals, but not the Earth itself."

She writes in her thesis that the new translation fits in with ancient texts.
According to them there used to be an enormous body of water in which monsters were living, covered in darkness, she said.

She said technically "bara" does mean "create" but added: "Something was wrong with the verb.

"God was the subject (God created), followed by two or more objects. Why did God not create just one thing or animal, but always more?"
She concluded that God did not create, he separated: the Earth from the Heaven, the land from the sea, the sea monsters from the birds and the swarming at the ground.

"There was already water," she said.

"There were sea monsters. God did create some things, but not the Heaven and Earth. The usual idea of creating-out-of-nothing, creatio ex nihilo, is a big misunderstanding."

God came later and made the earth livable, separating the water from the land and brought light into the darkness...

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Maori myths where the land always was but after awhile man (conceived by mother-earth and father-heavens) separated the land and the heavens into their current state.

This whole Mother Earth/Heavenly Father thing seems replete through just about all religions and still has essence in the secular world today even when we all know that the sky or space isn't a tangible thing like a rainbow is only seen.

Saying that God "separated" makes it more in line with the classical model of things.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The understanding of God has evolved over the millennia. It is at least possible that God at one time was considered a part of nature, maybe the biggest part, but not its creator. Over time this view of God (if it ever existed) expanded to make Him the Creator as well. This happened early on.

The word in Hebrew (bara) has meant "he created" for thousands of years. While it is possible that it might have meant "he separated", it hasn't had this meaning for thousands of years. The meanings of words change over time. Words in scripture, however, tend to become frozen as their meaning is passed down from generation to generation.

In English, the word "pure" once referred to dog poop. Check out the Oxford English Dictionary, definition 12 of the word. Gives a whole new meaning to telling someone, "Oh, you are pure". But I digress.

It is clear that, whatever the word may have meant in the distant mists of time, it has meant only "he created" for the past three thousand years, give or take. Maybe even 5000 years. Something like that.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here is how I read it. Someone stated Elohim bara Adam = God created man.

I think the author of this analysis would say that Elohim bara Adamn = God separated man...from mud of the Earth.

Cool with me. Takes a bit of the all pervasive power out of this God character in the texts and still falls in line with the idea that God could have been an extraterrestrial... Or shall I say more specifically, the gods of the texts were a pantheon of extraterrestrials.

"God separated the Earth and the heavens."

Meaning, created something that could understand the separation of Earth and the heavens?"
Man?

I don't know. Pretty interesting.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawk123
The same word bara is used in Genesis chapter 1 verse 27.

CREATED = ברא = bara (Value = 203)

Elohim Bara Adam = God Created Man

Ellen Van Wolde should then also conclude that Genesis chapter 1 vers 27 is wrong.
Why she got promoted?

[edit on 10-10-2009 by hawk123]

Hmm, maybe it means separate, as in he separated some of his spirit into man? Not sure, but just trying to follow the logic.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It just amazes me that as soon as someone mentions the idea that the Religious texts could be interpreted in such a way that it was extraterrestrials that are our "gods" that the thread just dies.

Geeze, I was hoping for some discussion.

I mean honestly, in this context, you see a god that didn't actually "create" the universe.
Instead, a god that "created" man. Out of things that were already here, no less.

Sounds an awful lot like a genetic experiment to me.

But we already know that, don't we? At least those of us who can accept the words of countless ancient civilizations and look at them without the magical blinders of someone who would be conceited enough to create the heavens as a playground and also create the actors of the play in such a way that they MUST play by the creator's rule lest they be punished forever and ever.

The extraterrestrial hypothesis is MUCH more valid in my eyes on this logical truth alone...
And this seems to fall in line with it.
But as soon as it is brought up, a mum falls across the crowd.

As I said, interesting...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

“There were sea monsters. God did create some things, but not the Heaven and Earth. The usual idea of creating-out-of-nothing, creatio ex nihilo, is a big misunderstanding.”

God came later and made the earth livable, separating the water from the land and brought light into the darkness.

This only strenghtens my beliefs that we are created by extra terrestrials.
Making a planet a livable planet, seems a hell of a lot like the works of scientistst doesnt it?

I dont know what its called because English is not my main language, but we already plan to do that woth the moon and mars. Making it livable so we can colonize or set up human occupied bases. What whas is called, terraforming?

There are numerous texts in the bible which clearly support the theory we are created by extra=terrestrials and this even strenghtens it further.

God coming down in a "silver cloud" which was "surrounded by fire and thunder" when he came to Moses on that mountain. Silver cloud in the sky surrounded by fire? Thats clearly a metallic object entering our atmosphere. A true God dont need a spaceship but this God that spoke to Moses did, because he was Alien, not a God.

There are so much more of these examples i can give you, but this is one where its freakin' obvious.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

WOW!! did not see your post until after i made my post. I am so glad that im not the only one with this theory, so im not that crazy

Actually, for me personally it is not a theory anymore, im convinced im right. The bible is giving us so much examples to support it that im totally convinced. Like the one about Moses like i told in the post before is the biggest one. And its ea very big part of christian history, everybody, even atheists know about Moses on this mountain when "god" came to him to give him the ten commandments that im really surprised people dont question "the silver cloud surrounded by fire". If you just think logical and open your eyes you would immediatly see this was a spaceship entering the atmosphere. But people just dont see it.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNetherlands

I don't mean to sound like a cheerleading section, but yeah, this is clearly a possibility given the accounts we have.

Ezekiel.
Moses.
Enoch.
Jesus.

All of these Biblical figures had detailed accounts of things happening in which they were either conversing directly with someone who came to them from the clouds in a "device", or went upwards themselves, in a "device"...

The evidence is abundant.
I am currently working on a few things that will hope to further this idea.

Who knows if I'll ever get them off the ground though. I have about 10 pet projects right now. And normally, my pet projects are put to the side for something easier.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheNetherlands

I remember asking about the pillar of fire/smoke in youth group when I was about 14/15 and maaaaaaan did I get some nasty looks.

"Surely you can't be suggesting that aliens helped moses and his people."

It shaded the people, gave them nourishment in the form of Mana, attacked Pharaoh and his men and parted the sea. I found particularly interesting that it was like cloud by day and fire at night.

The holy arc of the covenant in this case could be some kinda alien weapon handed down to the people.

I'm sure there is a holywood film in this somewhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join