It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats may revoke leadership of anyone who filibusters healthcare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Democrats may revoke leadership of anyone who filibusters healthcare

rawstory.com

On MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Show Wednesday night, Maddow broke an exclusive story on the battle for health care reform, and declared, "This is cracking heads time in the Democratic Party."

"We can report exclusively tonight, that two major power brokers on the left have told MSNBC that they are encouraging a Senate strategy now, in which the leadership would revoke chairmanships and other leadership positions from any Democrat who sides with a Republican filibuster to block a vote on health reform," Maddow said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Gee democracy at work

I guess this should come as no surprise , if there is any truth to this report .

If there is any truth to this report do you think that anyone even cares that a political party is " forcing " it's members to vote a certain way ?

And before you all start saying that the republicans are just as bad I will say that I agree with you 100 %

If you don't like different points of view , censor them , the democratic way.

Get ready folks public healthcare is on the way !

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Welcome to politics kids!
Welcome to reality!
This is good news, it's exactly what the Repubs would do if they weren't
powerless. Nothing wrong with playing hardball, Obama ran and was ELECTED by a substantial majority and the central theme of his campaign was heath care reform.The public option is a MUST, screw the tools of the insurance industry and all the corporate shills. It's about time the Dems grew a pair and actually do something for the citizens of this country, paranoia on this board not withstanding.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
You know what, I will love to see our government pull apart and fall on their own butts because of their greedy and moronic faults.

Yes let congress pull their own hairs off and show the rest of the Nation and the world what they truly are, perhaps then the American public will see exactly how low we have fallen as a nation while trusting nothing but stupids and corrupted idols in Washignton.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm not overly impressed with maneuvers, manipulations, threats, sanctions and punishments in politics. It tends to get in the way of solving problems.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A party that cannot work out a common position on a critical issue is not a party but a discussion club. Let them decide inside the party, vote if necessary among the party members, and then just stick to it. I see nothing wrong in consolidating the party position.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Of course it's sad that our political system works this way. It's broken. And as has been said, it's been like this for years. Actually, if Obama is starting to play hardball, I'll support him. We elected him because of what he said he was going to do. If he continues to try to "play nice" with the Republicans, whose only goal is for him to fail, then he's losing me.

But I'm afraid this healthcare POS is going to pass - Without a public option and it will be unrecognizable to those who want real health reform. I told my husband last night to prepare himself for this beast to pass because it's going to happen. And it probably won't help anyone (except for the Insurance Corporations).

If, by some miracle, it turns out that they pass a good bill (the one Obama wanted in the first place - without a bunch of "compromises" for Republican's sake), I will be very pleasantly surprised. But for now, this is business as usual in Washington DC and I'm very disappointed.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No only what that without the public option now, even the Military retirees and vets are going to have their fees increases, yes we do pay fees for our Government run insurance but now it will fall under private run insurance completely.

Things are not looking very good,

My husband alredy got an E-mail warning of the change on Military healthc are if any bill passes without explicit quotes that people's existing insurance will not change, is all talk but nothing written

It is on pages 77, 172, 218, and 434. You have to dig to see
the changes. We (retirees) would lose the Medicare for

life benefit and would have to pay. We would lose TRICARE as a total care
package. We would not be allowed to keep TRICARE

TRICARE For Life was instituted to correct the broken promise that military
retirees would receive free healthcare

coverage for life and it covers the Medicare co-pay. Now a heavy assault has
begun on Veterans'/Retirees' benefits to

pay for other programs our President promised during the campaign. And it is
a high priority of his administration. The one

item of most interest to Retired Military is in Article 189. If approved by
Congress the first assault wave would hit in 11 and

would hit hard. It would initiate cost sharing to require retirees to pay
the first $525 of medical cost and 50% of the next $4,725

for a first year cost of $2,888 per person. It would be indexed to increase
with inflation. A reason given for this action

(for PR effect) is "overuse" by Retirees.

I think that whatever is cooking in congress is going to affect every single American regarless of status including the military retirees in ways that we never seen in this nations history

[edit on 8-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just to bring to the table. Its hardball politics. It is played all the time and to a degree it is sad, but has been happening for a long time. Do you think people head certain committees because they actually are the resident expert on that area? Case and point Charles Rangel...cheat at your taxes and you get to write the tax code. There are more favors happening in Washington than in a Vegas brothel.

On that note, how many of you know that the other side (repubs) have actually tried to voice some reform but it has fallen on deaf ears because of the "WE WON" attitude that is plaguing Washington (nothing new again, it just is getting sickening!).

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Of course it's sad that our political system works this way. It's broken. And as has been said, it's been like this for years. Actually, if Obama is starting to play hardball, I'll support him. We elected him because of what he said he was going to do. If he continues to try to "play nice" with the Republicans, whose only goal is for him to fail, then he's losing me.

But I'm afraid this healthcare POS is going to pass - Without a public option and it will be unrecognizable to those who want real health reform. I told my husband last night to prepare himself for this beast to pass because it's going to happen. And it probably won't help anyone (except for the Insurance Corporations).

If, by some miracle, it turns out that they pass a good bill (the one Obama wanted in the first place - without a bunch of "compromises" for Republican's sake), I will be very pleasantly surprised. But for now, this is business as usual in Washington DC and I'm very disappointed.

Once again, I keep hearing that evil Republicans are stopping healthcare and I just laugh and laugh and . I guess if Democrats and the MSM keep repeating that often enough people will eventually believe it.

Democrats are stopping healthcare. Nobody else.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Good, good. Now they can properly diagnose the source of my Sciatica and get me full disability so I can feed off the system.

While they are at it, I will take one of those new Gov't Motors cars and an unlimited credit line that does not have to be repaid.

I'll let them know if I would like anything else like a fully paid house and meals and large stipend...on secound thought throw those in as well. Got to hit it all while it lasts, right?

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Are you kidding, now the government is going to force retirees to buy private insurance to get them off the government run one.

If that E-mail send to my husband by the veterans administration is true that means that the whole health care reform is nothing more than the biggest take over by private insurance to force everybody to be Dependant on their crap for life as long as is mandatory.

My husband just got that e-mail today

This is not good, this is unprecedented!!!!!!!!!

Military retirees will be forced to buy private health insurance also

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow. Only in the political arena could they hope to get away with that. To openly threaten a persons postion and force them to be removed from said position if they do not do what they are told to do, or follow their conscious. If a manager was to do that in a normal job, the employee could sue and bring charges of hostile work environment against their place of employment, cause that is just wrong. I wonder how long till the people of the country say Enough and start to vote in ways that neither the Democrats or the Republicans would expect and force them from office to go back to the government of We the People. Anymore when talking or contacting my own senators and represenatives in DC I am feeling like they are patting me on the head and not listening to my concerns at all or even to what I am stating. More and more people are standing up and suggesting a revolution and civil war against its own government. I wonder where it will begin.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
How naive
Vote their conscience.?
You MUST BE JOKING! Conscience isn't involved here. The Repubs and Dems that are voting against reform are doing so ONLY because of lobbyist money! They don't want a public option, they want a unregulated monopoly for private insurance companies! The Bush years were an orgy of profit taking, they don't want to give that up and they certainly don't care about the citizens!
Health care profits have risen 450% in the last five years!!!!They want to take your money, plain and simple!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

*edited to fix a number*

Can you post where you got that statistic? I have been unable to find it. Course sometimes I miss the obvious, but would like to see where you got that number from. 450%?

Please also, you do know that all bills must originate from the House. The executive can dictate and persuade policy, but ultimately cannot make a 'health-care or health-reform' (which ever the term that is used now) bill.

If this is about the care for American people why are great ideas such as: TORT Reform, ability to buy insurance across state-lines, allowing small-businesses to group together more easily to purchase health plans, among other ideas that have been suppressed by mainly the Dems?

Why the fight to not have the bill, as it were to be voted upon by the members of Congress, be posted for public review? It is easier to stop atrocious law before it becomes law is why. After Congress rams it through, they know damn well it's near impossible to get rid of.

Such sensible ideas, that even when presented by the highly progressive CEO of Whole Foods presents logical, easily implementable steps to getting our health care system back on track.

Why reinvent the wheel? Lets fix the spokes on the wheel so we run more smoothly. Instead we will have a square wheel that gets us nowhere fast with the bloated health care ideas that are presently being thrown around in Congress

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Of course I jest. I make fun of all the ones that believed in the lies of "vote for me and all your problems will be solved."

I wonder how much longer before the people that thought they were drinking the kool-aid find out it was just pixie-stix poured into a glass of dirty water?

...only when there is nothing left but rocks and sticks will they learn that you cannot eat money.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Oh please... Obama was caught making deals with Big Pharma, and even leftwing sources were reporting this, but as always you, and others like you like to ignore the facts hat contradict your fantasies about Obama healthcare reform, and every policy which the Obama administration, and yes President Obama himself has been pushing forth, all of which are just only throwing what is left of this country into the drainage for the corporations to pick apart even furter just in case they missed something the first time around.

But hey, keep ignoring facts and keep believing in fairy tales.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Block Healthcare get your chairmanship stripped? Chair the ways and means committee and write tax laws around yourself so you don't have to pay taxes, "taking the chairmanship is impossible becasue everybody here, if you look deep enough, has made a mistake ."-Rep. Maxine Waters (paraphrasing) Yeah.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
Welcome to politics kids!
Welcome to reality!
This is good news, it's exactly what the Repubs would do if they weren't
powerless. Nothing wrong with playing hardball, Obama ran and was ELECTED by a substantial majority and the central theme of his campaign was heath care reform.The public option is a MUST, screw the tools of the insurance industry and all the corporate shills. It's about time the Dems grew a pair and actually do something for the citizens of this country, paranoia on this board not withstanding.

Paranoia on this board really ?... i guess maddow, which in case you didn't know she is left-leaning, and there are other leftwing sources which have posted facts about the Obama healthcare reform, apart from other policies, which show what president Obama and his administration are really doing... but again you seem to be the kind of person who also loves to ignore, or dismisses these facts and just wants to believe what you want to believe.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
How naive
Vote their conscience.?
You MUST BE JOKING! Conscience isn't involved here. The Repubs and Dems that are voting against reform are doing so ONLY because of lobbyist money! They don't want a public option, they want a unregulated monopoly for private insurance companies! The Bush years were an orgy of profit taking, they don't want to give that up and they certainly don't care about the citizens!
Health care profits have risen 450% in the last five years!!!!They want to take your money, plain and simple!

For crying out loud, how about you do a little research before implying, and claiming "Obama through his healthcare reform is fighting for the people"...

Obama pharmaceutical memo, Obama lying, White House Deal with pharmaceutical lobby, PhRMA, Internal memo, Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers Association deal, Lobbyists,Youtube video
August 23, 2009 · 70 Comments

Obama recently made a deal with the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers Association, PhRMA. That will come as no surprise to you. However, this story was covered by the Huffington Post and CNN. That may surprise you.

From The Huffington Post, August 13, 2009:

“Internal Memo Confirms Big Giveaways In White House Deal With Big Pharma
A memo obtained by the Huffington Post confirms that the White House and the pharmaceutical lobby secretly agreed to precisely the sort of wide-ranging deal that both parties have been denying over the past week.

The memo, which according to a knowledgeable health care lobbyist was prepared by a person directly involved in the negotiations, lists exactly what the White House gave up, and what it got in return.

It says the White House agreed to oppose any congressional efforts to use the governments leverage to bargain for lower drug prices or import drugs from Canada — and also agreed not to pursue Medicare rebates or shift some drugs from Medicare Part B to Medicare Part D, which would cost Big Pharma billions in reduced reimbursements.

In exchange, the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers Association (PhRMA) agreed to cut $80 billion in projected costs to taxpayers and senior citizens over ten years. Or, as the memo says: “Commitment of up to $80 billion, but not more than $80 billion.”

Link

But hey keep cheering for Obama's healthcare reform and keep believing in he is fighting for the people....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join