It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity, politics, STDs flow in social networks: Do you know who is influencing you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Obesity, politics, STDs flow in social networks: Do you know who is influencing you?

www.cnn.com

A new book reveals that your friends, friends of friends, and friends of friends of friends may profoundly influence your behavior.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well I've known this for quite a while now... probably since 2002 when I first started reading about "Small world phenomena".

As I reflect on it, it makes me wonder how profoundly my interactions on ATS influence my friends who are not on ATS. Likewise, how my friends who are on Facebook, actually influence all of you here on ATS.

Just imagine, mental memes are like germs... I may have picked one up while cruising down Peachtree Street here in Atlanta and dumped it on all of you... some may have been impervious to it... others have succumbed to it.

I wonder who I can influence today merely with the fact that you are reading this sentence?

According to the video on the page linked, we actually influence others to be more like us. For example, when I say BE YOUR OWN GOD! Regardless of how you react to that statement... I'm influencing you.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's fascinating isn't it!?

You would definitely enjoy reading Malcolm Gladwell, if you haven't already.

On a side note, my husband says I have definitely caught a CTD - Compter Transmitted Disease! - from the teh intarwebz.

join