It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police suspect 'Barefoot Burglar' is stealing, crashing planes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Police suspect 'Barefoot Burglar' is stealing, crashing planes

www.cnn.com

SEATTLE, Washington (CNN) -- Who is stealing -- and crashing -- airplanes in Washington state?

Since November, police say, at least three small, private planes have been stolen and flown off. Whoever was behind the throttle didn't go very far.

The latest plane to go missing crash-landed last week in a clearing in Granite Falls, Washington, after running out of fuel, police said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I got a kick out of reading this story about an 18 year old youth in Washington Sate who despite having never been taught or formally trained to fly has been stealing small airplanes, flying them and crash landing them as part of his one young man crime spree.

A lot of members here on ATS fret and muse about how they might live or survive in a total police state brought down upon them by the Powers that Be.

Well, not wanting to be one to split hairs or anything we practically do live in a total police state and this article highlights one young man’s attempts to stymie it and out think and out smart it.

This is not a endorsement of his crimes or in any way shape or form condoning or encouraging his behavior in regards to the criminal.

Rather instead it’s a testament to human ingenuity and resilience and how even an determined 18 year old can evade and escape the long and determined are of the law and take on and overcome long odds to do it.

His ability to live off the underbelly of society by victimizing it and its resources and then to hide out in the wilderness as an evasive measure is impressive and something that if Martial Law is ever declared on the American people many people ask themselves if they would be able to do something similar as a means to survive free.

This is the story of an 18 year old that is already doing a respectable and impressive job at that.

Human hope and determination is never lost, some times stolen, some times eroded but where there is a will there is a way and this young man proves in high rogue style and fashion!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

The plane was found Thursday, crashed and out of fuel in a patch of cleared forest in Granite Falls, Washington. On Sunday, authorities say they received a report of a burglary. "Blankets, shoes and food [were] taken instead of big-ticket items like TVs," said sheriff's spokeswoman Rebecca Hover.

A gunshot rang out as deputies searched the woods and came across some of the stolen items, Hover said. No one was injured, but the SWAT team was called in.

Police searched the area, using a helicopter with an infrared heat detection scanner and another Blackhawk helicopter provided by the Department of Homeland Security.

Pretty darn impressive evading a Blackhawk military helicopter with heat detection sensors, obviously there is a way to throw off their sensors and to hide your body’s heat signature from them. Authorities speculate the young man has been teaching himself to fly airplanes after reading all about how to fly them on the computer of a home he had burglarized.

I have to say there is gutsy and there is gutsy, but teaching yourself to fly an airplane solo, doing it solo? That’s gutsy! As despicable as some might find this young man’s criminality I think it’s characters like is that teach us all something of the values and virtues of freedom that’s hard not to romanticize a bit.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I bet it's kicks who got fed up with Microsoft Flight simulator, we have the same problem here in Western Australia with kids stealing Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraries etc. They joy ride them then dumb and repeat.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I bet it's kicks who got fed up with Microsoft Flight simulator, we have the same problem here in Western Australia with kids stealing Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraries etc. They joy ride them then dumb and repeat.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Wow, now thats some serious evading.

this guy puts many Mature criminals to shame, and he never had to hurt a soul.

He needs to be caught before he hurts himself though, crash landing a aircraft is one thing, but fly enuff of them and your statistics for having a Instrument failure start to reach irrational levels. Specially different aircraft each time.

He sounds like he has seen " Into the Wild "

though he decided to skip out early. I hope he stays safe. Im sure some owners of their toys don't just want a word with him.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zomonoid

Actually police refer to the suspect as a ‘Feral Child’ he has been on an escalating non-violent crime spree since he was 12. He actually appears to have a fan club on Face Book that other people have started about him that glorifies him as the “Modern Day Jesse James without the murder”.

He seems to be a highly intelligent and resourceful young man who dropped out of the system early and has been living outside of the box since.

The local authorities have been wrestling with trying to contain and restrain him for the last six years.

Quite a story to this young man’s life!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I posted in another thread how I felt that criminals will do well in a SHTF scenario.

People who are used to evading the law and living on the fringes of society off the radar and underground.

Prisons are full of 'MacGyver' types who can fashion things out of just about anything.

I think that is a reason a lot of them are locked up, they are a little to resourceful and see how easy it is to exploit society. Mind you many are just sociopaths.

Hopefully they will use their experience from a criminal past against TPTB and for the greater good not just for their own greedy desires.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by 10001011

It's funny because in reality most if not all of what this young man is stealing and damaging is insured. The owners aren't really out much if anything and often people who have been robbed of insured items use the opportunity to pad the value of the items and do a little robbing of the insurance companies them selves!

I think it's a novel and not entirely horrible way of approaching "We all take our chances" in life.

This young man is just taking a lot more chances than most!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Okay this may be a REALLY dumb question, but I gotta ask -

Do small planes have a key ignition like a car? Are the owners leaving the planes unlocked with the keys in? Do planes have a lock on the door? Can you hot-wire a plane??

Flame resistant suit on.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Do small planes have a key ignition like a car? Are the owners leaving the planes unlocked with the keys in? Do planes have a lock on the door? Can you hot-wire a plane??

Flame resistant suit on.

They have an ignition system that is a little less complicated than a car's in part because no one who doesn't know how to fly is likely to steal them.

Some plane owners leave the keys in their planes for airport ground crews to move or clean it or do maintenance and sometimes for other friends who are pilots that they share, lend or rent their planes too.

The story didn't specify whether he was hot wiring them or using keys already there. Most planes are chained down and locked in place to keep wind gusts from moving them. The hardest part is likely cutting the chain from there it's probably relatively easy.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Flame resistant suit on.

I've only had a few flight lessons so I may be wrong....

Most of the smaller planes have outside door locks but they are not very secure.

Once in you have to flip a few switches and there is usually a push button to start the engine.

I wonder how this kid is doing this? There are a lot of pre-flight things you need to check to be safe.

This kid must of got a hold of some flight handbooks, truly ingenious.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It is sad to see you praising a thief! He is a thief and deserves what is coming to him.
Planes are expensive and this young dork thinks he can just snatch up someones plane and wreck it. Well I hope he gets a shotgun blast to his head next time he tries this crap.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I say good for him. He's obviously having fun, and I'm all for people doing what they enjoy. Besides, he's stealing from people who obviously have a lot of money and are well off. Who here HONESTLY feels sorry for them? Not me.

Sure, what this young man is doing is a crime, but just because there's a law, that doesn't make the law right. He's committing a crime of passion without leaving any victims. For that, I support him.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by 10001011

It's funny because in reality most if not all of what this young man is stealing and damaging is insured. The owners aren't really out much if anything and often people who have been robbed of insured items use the opportunity to pad the value of the items and do a little robbing of the insurance companies them selves!

You are wrong in two different respects:
a) cars are rarely insured against theft. Since plane theft is unusual, I believe that planes aren't either.
b) insurance companies cover their losses by jacking up the premium. The fact the money collection is spread out doesn't make it right or reasonable.

Put that jackass in jail to chill out.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wormwood Squirm
It is sad to see you praising a thief! He is a thief and deserves what is coming to him.
Planes are expensive and this young dork thinks he can just snatch up someones plane and wreck it. Well I hope he gets a shotgun blast to his head next time he tries this crap.

You know how many people would actually be glad someone stole their plane?

Planes are heavily insured, they are probably more than happy to file a claim and buy a newer model with the latest avionics.

Edit to add: Hull insurance covers theft:

Source

[edit on 8-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wormwood Squirm

yeah, and i guess you're one of those people who equates a mercedes or a plane with a human life. good for you. does 2 + 2 = 5 in your world? the reason this is so interesting is this: instead of imagining someone getting shot, which you are probably doing right now, why dont you imagine an excited 18 yr old kid running like mad, pumped with adrenaline, getting ready to jump into the cockpit of a plane for the first time. he actually takes off in the thing, with no one telling him how to do it. yeah. someone should make a movie about this.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
So if you idolize this guy for evading the cops, you must love Bin Laden.

Yeah, this is all good clean fun, until he crashes into a building and kills someone.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here's the latest local news on this kid and links to previous stories on him.

www.kirotv.com...

After reading some of the comments on here, it is no wonder to me how this country is in such a mess. This freeloading, petty, self-absorbed thief is being made into some sort of hero and is having praise heaped upon him. How is being such an irresponsible jerk praisworthy? And the whole stealing from the rich is ok argument is baffling. Most of the "rich people" - around here anyway - have worked long and hard for their money. So someone who doesn't want to do anything for themselves is entitled to steal from someone elses efforts? This is the epitome of what is wrong in America - no one feels the need to earn anything anymore and instead feels entitled to the earnings of others.

I will admit that this is an interesting story, especially since this is on the local news all the time, but he still needs to be sent to prison. And we need to bring back "hard labor" as a punishment.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I got a kick out of reading this story about an 18 year old youth in Washington Sate who despite having never been taught or formally trained to fly has been stealing small airplanes, flying them and crash landing them as part of his one young man crime spree.

I don't know why you're idolizing someone you know nothing about.

This kid, though untrained, knows enough to get it off the ground, enough to steal 3 different planes, and if he has a motive like crashing it into people, then eventually at this rate he will succeed.

You need better heroes. There are plenty of people to be proud of who don't steal other people's property.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join