It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chaos reigns at Detroit aid event

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Detroit's new mayor.

Mayor Bing.

For many years I saw the corruption that ran rampant in Detroit and thought it would never end. The Coleman administration was nothing but a bunch of hateful and corrupt people, as well as Kwamee Kilpatrick.

Now Mayor Bing on the other hand is a man that can turn a city around because of his background and street smarts.

There was little hope for Detroit until this man was elected by the people.

People can say all they want about Detroit but the respect I have for the people voting in Mayor Bing shows much more than "Gullible Masses". For the first time in a half a century the people as a whole actually voted for a competent leader, with a solid background.

Mayor Bing sugarcoats nothing and that is why I like him.

Mayor Bing Info

Michigan and the City of Detroit will be an example of how people work together to turn things around. And yes things will be harder for awhile.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Baron, As much as I hate to admit it you are exactly right on. I point at a similar situation when Katrina flooded New Orleans. I was was there with a security team, I saw what went on from the front lines with my own eyes.

They had an election shortly after the flood to rebuild. They wanted a Chocolate Mayor ( there words not mine) Mayor Nagen was reelected and the lower part of New Orleans is still not rebuilt. I'm not saying African Americans are not good politicians but to vote them into office but for no other reason other than the fact that they are A-A is stupid and self defeating. ...KMG

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Not talking about everybody, but looking at the pictures you still see people in their new baseball hats, earing's, cellphones (more than likely personal ones).

I feel as if our country is truly ignorant when it comes to finances.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Who is the Enemy in this fight that Texans will take up? If we all come to Texas, wouldn't the influx of people be viewed as the 'enemy'.

There are no clear sides drawn here. Just like the War on Drugs and the War on Terror. So for Texans to think within such limited a dimension is doing themselves a disservice.

This is not as easy as Red versus Blue. Your wanting to fight is a very natural reaction to the frustration you (and everyone) is feeling. If you review the state of mind people are in (Detroit is a great example) everyone willing to fight...would likely do what ever it takes for free food and board. All the PTB would have to do is simply give the promise of warm soup and people would line up all day. So, in that, your fight is already lost. You have to consider the end-point at which you will ultimately reach. To even make such claims as willing/wanting to fight shows your hand and identifies your intentions. This foolish, unwise and detrimental.

I've said this before in other, very similar threads...everyone claiming to want a revolution and to have some grandiose conflict or fight is simply expressing fantasy and nothing more. If the U.S. goes broke it will do so in the same fashion the U.S.S.R. did. People will wait in line for food all day long as crime skyrockets.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I agree Realtruth, this is a good thing and yes it does effect the suburbs...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kissmygrits
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Baron, As much as I hate to admit it you are exactly right on. I point at a similar situation when Katrina flooded New Orleans. I was was there with a security team, I saw what went on from the front lines with my own eyes.

They had an election shortly after the flood to rebuild. They wanted a Chocolate Mayor ( there words not mine) Mayor Nagen was reelected and the lower part of New Orleans is still not rebuilt. I'm not saying African Americans are not good politicians but to vote them into office but for no other reason other than the fact that they are A-A is stupid and self defeating. ...KMG

As someone who grew up 30 miles outside of New Orleans, I have nothing but scorn for Ray Nagin. Every mayor of that city before him knew to evacuate when a level five storm was .ing up the Mississippi toward him. Nagin, for reasons best known to him, did not order an evacuation. Nor did he comandeer school and public transit buses to evacuate those who could not evacuate themselves. He instead wasted valuable time with press releases condeming President Bush before the storm even made landfall.

For those of us who don't know how FEMA works, before a disaster happens, they give checks to local governments to buy preparedness against disasters. No one in the press, however, thought to ask Ray Nagin what happened to all the big bucks which were supposed to be buying emergency preparedness for New Orleans. Or perhaps they did and their editors told them to STFU and go back to blaming George Bush like good little press drones.

And don't forget that before that first election after Katrina, Ray Nagin went on nationwide TV and radio begging African-American evacuees to come back to New Orleans to make New Orleans "a Chocolate City" once again. Racism that disgraceful from a white politician's mouth would have provoked a year's worth of reflexive editorializing on all possible press avenues.

So a very, very large part of whatever blame for the implosion of the big cities who elected to vote for a tan instead of a man goes to the newspapers and TV news agencies who have neglected to call race hustling what it is.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Oh yep the ran right out an brought them yesterday so they would look good, give ma a break, guess you think people aren't needy unless they are walking around in rags, as for cell phones, most people don't own land lines any longer so why wouldn't they have a cell phone, guess they don't deserve to be in communication with the out side world, try to draw unemployment without a phone or a computer, they have closed down all the walk in centers in Michigan. It just may be that a cell phone is all many of these people have left to make calls to set up appointments for jobs that may be available.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

No offense to you, but unless you have lived there or experienced what its like, you dont have a fair opinion about it. Now yes it was stupid who they voted in, ill agree with that. But to say people deserve to be poor and they deserve all the bad things that are happening to them, is ignorant. Nobody deserves that.

Not everyone in Detroit are gang bangers or drug dealers. There moms who are trying to live off 150 dollars a week, they are teenagers who have to see there friends being shot up every month, they are babies who dont even have a fair chance at life because of what they are growing up in.

Im not saying to have pity for them, im saying to try and walk a mile in there shoes.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Jess_Undefined]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's Detroit.

They were giving people something, it's amazing they didn't burn down Cobo Hall when the hand outs were done.

Detroit is a failed city. A huge portion of the people living there have no intention of working. They live on handouts and welfare. I would listen to people on the bus network on how to get welfare, SSI and other programs.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
reply to post by KSPigpen

I would rather live on the street than accept a welfare check. But that's my personal choice.

I would rather be free than a slave.

You are a Slave, as are we all. We live to accumulate Dollars. You can say that you don't and you can make every effort to convince yourself of this. In the end you wish you had more of them, just as everyone else. Hate the system we all live in and I understand... many people do. It is the American way of life though. We are all slaves to the Dollar and the system that supports it.

Unless you think you can return (and convince enough to go with you) to an agrarian society you'll not do much to escape the current way of life we have established.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
sigh.

Yeah Detroit looks like it's in some trouble. I was thinking when I looked at those pictures that it looks awfully close to a riot...

I think it's safe to say that the leaders severely underestimated the response.

The sad part for me is that this was just to get applications...I didn't see any mention about how much actual HELP is going to be handed out...

(stop fighting guys)

[edit on 8-10-2009 by KSPigpen]

Spot on, how much support is going out. Is it going to be one month of electric bills for somebody or paying half on rent etc. etc., it doesn't have an amount just a limit of short duration. California and alot of other states and cities are in the same predicament, but they have been able to push off the day of reckoning another quarter. The midwest and rust belt is getting hit the hardest because most of their jobs where in manufacturing and much of that is gone or going overseas, and what was taking it's place was service jobs that serviced people who had money to buy things and services. But since the spigot of money from refinancing and credit cards has dried up, there is no need for these service individuals (everything from a food preparer to an accountant), so they get laid off. You know what is funny is that people may think its a black thing or whatever because it's in detroit, it's not.

From two weeks ago a poster posted pictures of people going through a persons stuff that was evicted, most of them was white. The person evicted was a very old woman that couldn't afford her place anymore. Soon we may start to see not just blacks in distress like this but all sorts of people and colors fighting for this or that just like the chaos in detroit. Everybody is hiding in their house or apt. or condo trying to keep what they have and hide behind the facade of everything is fine to their friends. I've seen on youtube the long lines at job fairs and such and I see the faces, the faces tell you everything. I remember one man in his 50's in line with people of different races (man was white) and sexes waiting to get in to look for a job dressed well. His eyes was darting back and forth and his posture was one of drooped upper back and lowered .. In that instance I could tell he must have felt ashamed, ashamed at something that may not be his fault, ashamed that he may or may have looked down at people in situations like this, ashamed that he is a man in his 50's having to start over again.

What is happening is americans are slowly getting the delusional world that was made for us and we made for ourselves pulled away from our eyes (our manifest destiny to be right and on top). And what we are seeing and should deduce is that we are no different from the rest of humanity out their. We can be just as dirt poor as the poorest on this planet, the problem is that we have been lying to ourselves and letting our leaders lie and cheat and manipulate this lie in order for them to stay on top and get rich.

Welcome, welcome to the sunny shores and white beaches of the Banana Republic of America.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The people who wanted something better for themselves have pretty
much all abandoned Detroit for greener pastures. Those who stayed
are satisfied with little.

To be honest, when I visit relatives there, they are just as happy as
those of us who have moved to other places. I suppose the human
mind can learn to make the most of almost any situation.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
So many people on here acting like this is the end.

Recovery is waiting in the wings...

Cities inhale and exhale over centuries sometimes... and Detroit is no different.

That's like telling someone who caught a cold they are going to die...

Please...

"Recovery is waiting in the wings"....... Don't forget you said that, don't ever forget you said that. I enjoy every single post you make hunka, best comedy I've ever seen in my life. To think they actually let people like you multiply...........

Not at all.. but you say the people of detroit are gullible as if it isn't true for all humanity.

ALL HUMANS ARE GULLIBLE.

That goes for you and me, the people in detroit, the folks in Houston, Atlanta, Beijing, Moscow, Paris etc...

So to malign the people of detroit for something we all are guilty of is not only off topic but it's ignorance.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by HunkaHunka]

"something we are all guilty of"....... Speak for yourself. I don't leech off of society, I never accepted a government hand-out. In fact I protest them. But you? Take a good look, everyone in those pictures is a victim, utterly dependent on Government handouts to survive. How noble of the Government to coral them like cattle and give them thier fair share. You gotta help them right? FREEE MONEY WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!

The whole time the could have taken care of themselves, but instead, a government, like the kind you worship, made them victims. Don't be defensive, it's not a catastrophe, it's your great society.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by aravoth]

[edit on 9-10-2009 by aravoth]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Its common knowledge that in most areas people commute to a major city everyday to work. So why are these poverty stricken people that live in these cities so poor?

Its not like they live out in the mountains or country like people in west virginia, or alabama.

so what the hell is the problem here?

I understand Detroits economy is bad, but this problem is in every city and you see it in smaller towns too. I just think we are seeing long term effects of large communities that depend on government support.
Theres even a whole genre of comedians and musicians that use this aspect of peoples lives as amusement.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Mailman]

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Mailman]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Oh yep the ran right out an brought them yesterday so they would look good, give ma a break, guess you think people aren't needy unless they are walking around in rags, as for cell phones, most people don't own land lines any longer so why wouldn't they have a cell phone, guess they don't deserve to be in communication with the out side world, try to draw unemployment without a phone or a computer, they have closed down all the walk in centers in Michigan. It just may be that a cell phone is all many of these people have left to make calls to set up appointments for jobs that may be available.

Sorry, but we are in this mess PARTIALLY because people can't keep track of their own money. That includes buying new toys before and after hand.

You can tell the people who just went to the barber, or people wearing the over priced sports apparel.

The problem in our country is that everyone THINKS they can live above their means. So when you truly can't, you should not. Common sense right? Oh, but if they have the new air force ones, I need some!

Some people refuse to shop at the bare minimum when they HAVE to. Some people would rather spend their money on brand name food and clothing rather than feeding their home family.

I see it EVERYWHERE. People REFUSE to stop doing their habits even when they are broke! If we are going to succeed as a nation at all, we TRULY need to teach our children the importance of managing a budget. That will be hard to do though when society doesn't know how, and certainly our government.

"We" are to blame as a whole. Not just the mega corps, and not just us. Us for having the ignorance to do stupid actions, and the mega corps for taking TO MUCH of an advantage of it.

About the cell phone thing though - you are right. But that doesn't totally dismiss my point about buying outside of their means regarding many of the other objects.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
The city has shut down schools, laid off police and firefighters, and reduced the number of paramedics and ambulances on duty at any one time.
The buildings downtown are crumbling and abandoned, the houses are rotting and abandoned, and the streets have craters in them.
The people of that dump deserve every bit of what has happened to them. They had the power to change this and didn't.

Where are you writing from? Houston, Texas? Your understanding of Detroit is about as sophisticated as Bush's understanding of any place outside of Texas. Have you even been to Detroit ever? Recently? The whole downtown area has been renovated. Two new sports stadiums and surrounding areas have been completely rebuilt.

The government of the area has been corrupt and incompetent, but you seriously crossed the line when you stated that the people suffering down there deserve it. Crimes and fires do a lot of damage when you have no money to pay for police and firefighters. With every student that leaves, its public schools lose more and more money in a ever-worsening deadly cycle. Moreover, we have jerks from Texas writing in to give their two cents when they only know Detroit from watching Beverly Hills Cop.

The people had the power to vote. They did not have the power to manifest money out of nowhere! In case you didn't notice, there is a serious economic recession all over the country and the auto companies were hit particularly hard. Michigan's economy is based on the auto companies. Hopefully, I stated it simply enough for a Texan to understand.

If you don't know anything about Detroit besides racist stereotypes leading you to believe that the people living there are all criminals and deserve anything that happens to them, you should stay out of the debate. You are only making things worse. Making a blanket statement, condemning everyone there seeking assistance is unfair to say the least.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
Sorry, but we are in this mess PARTIALLY because people can't keep track of their own money. That includes buying new toys before and after hand.

This comment is clearly out of place in a Detroit thread. Every year the local news has stories about people going without heat in their homes. No one in Detroit is buying ipods when they don't have money for food.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes, as usual rather than protesting and complaining in Washington pristine mall the people rather die waiting in line for government hand outs.
People needs to understand that the only way this nation is going to change is with the people show of unity no in hand out lines but marching in Washington where our elite government lives in splendor.

Is that supposed to be joke? How is someone going to travel to Washington when they don't have money for food for their kids? You need to climb out of your fantasy world and realize that some people subsist paycheck to paycheck in a minimum wage job without health insurance. You can't quit your job to drive or fly to DC to protest with neocon crazies complaining about health care for the poor but not a $3 trillion war in Iraq for no apparent reason. Some of us have jobs and families to barely support.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
Just wait until they realize that the economy is not going to recover. They will start pouring into other cities. But honestly, I tihink we need something like the LA riots again. Just to get the power back where it belongs. This all seems like Katrina all over again. Only this time there wasn't even a disaster. Just globalists who outsourced their jobs to other countries. Hopefully this time though, people won't be as focused on racial issues. But who am I kidding?

I really hope these people are informed about what is really going on. The american public has been looted by the globablists. Sharing the wealth.

Very sad.

I agree totally. I would bet that by the end of this year that the American dollar will collapse.............possibly the beginning of next year. Whatever the case, all of this talk about the economy recovering is the same as coddling a dying person, telling them everything they want to hear before the last breath. These guys that come on MSNBC in their stupid bow ties telling us everything will be fine are lying through their teeth. America will soon be at civil war again country-wide. I seem to recall a card from the illuminati card deck from Steve Jackson where the police were being beaten down by people that look like hippies and holding peace signs. This would suggest that those people in the states that want peace and prosperity have recognized that their government is becoming a police state and decided to do something about it in the face of inevitability. I wouldn't speak of the cards at all if it weren't for the fact that many of the cards came true as if prophesies. The FBI even raided Steve Jackson's house and they took him to court because he "knew too much". He won the case and the charges were dropped..............still the cards remain. I don't have a copy of the cards, but maybe someone can put them on here. At any rate, it is going to get nasty..............and real soon. Don't fall for the lies of all the naysayers that have been naysaying for years now....they have been proven wrong and they still won't shut up. They are the reason we are here yet they will cower and agree with the masses when there is no other alternative...........just like the rats they are. i would use the old addage that many have used lately "wake up America" but I will refrain because it didn't work, I will go further and say "lace your boots up America" it looks like the trenches will be manned soon.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Phenomium]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

So many people on here acting like this is the end. Recovery is waiting in the wings... Cities inhale and exhale over centuries sometimes... and Detroit is no different. That's like telling someone who caught a cold they are going to die... Please...

No one is saying Detroit will vanish. What you need to realize is that an inevitable economic recovery is not going to stop a baby from crying or a guy's stomach from growling. The city itself is not a living entity as you describe - it is just a bunch of steal and concrete with hungry people wandering around. If you can't eat for a few days then it might as well be the end of the world. I can only hope you are are under 16 because an adult could never see the world in such a simplistic light.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join