It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chaos reigns at Detroit aid event

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I got the feeling when looking at pictures like this of a time bomb in this nation ready to blow out.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Just for the record. 5,000 people showing up for job applications is pure gullibility.

These are images of their gullibility.

Not trying to talk down on them. I know many of them have mortgages they can't pay and feel that there is no hope.

There is hope, but it's not in Detroit.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Sorry to say this but where is the hope my friend, because is neither here in my neck of the woods in GA that now holds the highest bank closure in the nation due to fireclosures and loan defaults.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

If you want to survive. Head to the mountains.

If you want to fight back, come to Texas.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
I didn't see any mention about how much actual HELP is going to be handed out...

Hopefully none. It is programs like this that bankrupt governments and lead to higher taxes being put on the people.

Everyone being able to live comfortably in their own home, have a well paying job, food on the table, and a healthy family is a nice idea, but it's not realistic. Some people are going to fall through the cracks. You can't save everyone.

Unfortunately, life is harsh and unforgiving. It's that way with every species on the planet. Humans are not spared from this. Our government, our technology, nor our intelligence can change that.

Many people will lose everything in this economic crisis and will suffer and eventually die because of it. But in terms of the greater good, it is best to let these people go and not try to fight the inevitable.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I will love to move to the mountains after all my husband is a retire Marine on benefits, but sadly while I have been through Texas and is a lovely state is many laws and trouble going on that doesn't make it a very attractive place to live for me.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So with these repara......distributed weal........I mean stimulus money being distributed, does this mean that I have to stop footing the water and gas bills of the people of Detroit? Every year I get statements saying that they have to raise these bill do to the volume of bills not being paid. The latest being the gas bill. An added $5/month(to responsible bill payers) for 3 years to cover some 44 million dollars.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
Just for the record. 5,000 people showing up for job applications is pure gullibility.

These are images of their gullibility.

Not trying to talk down on them. I know many of them have mortgages they can't pay and feel that there is no hope.

There is hope, but it's not in Detroit.

Applications for assistance with rent and utilities. I don't really think there many jobs to be had...

I don't understand what makes them gullible...as much as I'd like to fit in and be cool or whatever, if I was basically stuck in some part of the country and unemployment was twenty something percent...and I was looking at getting kicked out on my arse, with my kids...I would start getting a little desperate too...

It's real easy to look at people who are desperate NOW and blame their past mistakes for their current circumstances. Do we never reach that magical 'time' when we are all human beings and actually FEEL for each other, or shall we just skip about merrily, content that WE don't live in Detroit, or that WE haven't made their mistakes, or that WE have plenty to eat and a place to live...it goes on an on....

As long as they are 'THEM' and we are 'US', we can sit around and tell the world how WE would have done it. if We were Them.

We're going to drown in our own hate and our own smug grandiosity.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tyr Sog

As more and more people are falling under unemployment and losing their benefits the reminding tax payer in the nation like us are going to have a hard time supporting the government spending.

Lets blame this to the moron in Washington that while living in splendor are the ones that had brought what is going on in this nation to us while pocketing campaign money to screw the tax payer.

American needs jobs not stimulus for china, India and Japan goods or bailout for the banks.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Trust me I know.

It is different, but thats why they say Texas is like a different country, and soon it will be. Other states will follow in Texas lead, but not until Texas becomes a shining example of a place where people can thrive, even in the darkest hour.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Texas have resources and that is a plus but with the immigration burden it can become very bad for the citizens in that state if it becomes independent.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I would rather live on the street than accept a welfare check. But thats my personal choice.

I would rather be free than a slave.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Sadly I am biting my tongue. Because real power lies within a subject that is against the terms and conditions of ATS.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I hope I have not touched a sensitive issue concerning your feelings, for that I Apologize.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Calling the people of Detroit naive and gullible is off-topic?

Yep.. it's like saying they have hair and drink water... every human is an example of that. Such is true with gullibility.

This topic is ABOUT Detroit and the condition of Detroit.

Yep the condition which is distinct to Detroit... unlike naievte which is not distinct to detroit but to all humans.

The condition of Detroit is directly attributed to the people of Detroit's gullibility and their apathetic approach to holding their elected officials accountable.

I don't know about the second point you just made, but the first one is true for EVERYONE... You, me, everyone is gullible.

You using what I said to try and insult me just because you don't agree with me on many subjects is the only thing off-topic here.

Nope... I'm not trying to insult you, just bringing balance to your off topic point.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

No worries.

I just have to bring that particular subject to a different board, sorry.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My knowledge of US economic politics is not very large but was detroit not the US main car manifacturering city?
The car industry had enormous blows in the last years and many people lost their jobs.
I can imagine people are so low on money that they can not even affort to move elsewhere.

So i do not see the point of that it is these peoples own fault just because they voted in some local politicians, this story is bigger than only detroits politics i think.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Detroit cannot do anything right. The people of Detroit - in their typical ignorant fashion - voted 35 years ago for a mayor in favor of his race rather than in favor of who was most suited for the job and who would do the best for Detroit. That tradition has continued ever since, and so has Detroit's decline.

The people of that dump deserve every bit of what has happened to them. They had the power to change this and didn't.

As a famous quote once said, "people get the government they deserve." This cannot be any more true than in the case of Detroit.

It makes me sick that you are also an American and call yourself as such.

When the economic war comes, I'll imagine all the rich think like you.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Yes, it is true that Economic conditions in Detroit had been on the downswing since the late 1970's, early 1980's. A mass exodus of people left Detroit during that time in search for better economic prosperity, like rats abandoning a sinking ship. Those left behind should have seen it coming long ago (or the opportunistic who immigrated to Detroit to fill those vacant but dying jobs). However, for whatever reason they didn't, they are now in a desperate situation.

It does no good to blame others for the situation they are in, even if they are partially to blame. Blaming doesn't help anyone. You certainly can't blame the children of those people who are innocent victims and made no wrong choices of their own.

What it comes down to is do you turn a blind eye to those who are suffering or do you try to help in whatever meager ways you can?

Detroit was the first Major Metropolitan City in the United States to both fail and fall. Pay close attention because like dominoes we will see the same repeated elsewhere in the country.

When things get so bad in your neighborhood and you and your family are without job and without home, are you going to be so righteously ideological to turn down a chance for assistance? I think not, especially if you have a child.

I applaud the City of Detroit for offering to provide some of it's hardest hit citizens with housing and utility assistance during the coming winter months. It is sad (and downright frightening) to realize that it isn't even close to enough to cover all those in dire need.

Sure, Welfare Assistance isn't a Panacea Cure-All for Detroit's woes, but it will help at least some of the people in need make it through a harsh winter that they wouldn't be able to survive otherwise. Ultimately, Detroit and it's leaders have to pull Detroit up by the bootstraps and tighten the belt, and find ways to bring sustainability back to Detroit. However, that is something that isn't as big a Crisis as helping the homeless and jobless when there are no jobs to be had in a time when Winter is close at hand. Detroit, just as the rest of the communities in the United States, need to learn the fine art of Triage pdq. It sounds like Detroit is getting a crash-course in such as we speak. The rest of us would be wise to learn from their example.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
it was flint that went down first, not detroit. the car industry was the backbone of the middle class. the cold war brought it under control with unions, and the globalists finished the job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join