It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In first lady's roots, complex path from slavery

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

In his will, she is described simply as the “negro girl Melvinia.” After his death, she was torn away from the people and places she knew and shipped to Georgia. While she was still a teenager, a white man would father her first-born son under circumstances lost in the passage of time.

Odd how everyone is accounted for except the anonymous white guy,

Now the more complete map of Mrs. Obama’s ancestors — including the slave mother, white father and their biracial son, Dolphus T. Shields — for the first time fully connects the first African-American first lady to the history of slavery, tracing their five-generation journey from bondage to a front-row seat to the presidency.

Was the fathers name Shields?

his wife’s pedigree, which includes American Indian strands,

I don't think people realize how many of us have this mix of black, Caucasian, and native American,,
I had the stats once but lost them.

[edit on 123131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IconoclasticTalamasca
I pointed out that I am neither of those things

Then what is the problem? If you do not fall in the category of people which I am describing, and your skin color is the only attribute which ties you to my "massive generalization", then why even bother responding? If you do not use your ancestors' slavery for your own benefit, then I'm not talking about you.

Or did you mean that CERTAIN black people who did not suffer through slavery are an embarrasment and an insult

Yes that's what I meant. The word "certain" is not necessary because I made it clear in the following sentence who I was talking about. Any black people who do not use their ancestors' slavery to gain favors today were not a part of my "massive generalization".

The first lady has nothing to be proud of?

She doesn't. Marriage isn't an accomplishment. The only reason we know who she is is because of who she is married to.

Although I dislike him strongly, Barack Obama HAS accomplished something. She, on the other hand, has not. She's just there.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by IconoclasticTalamasca

It's 'okay' because it doesnt have any value. Maybe I'm giving folks far too much credit but seems even a mental patient living in a cave knows that despite some anonymous individuals raving of 'all jews are money hungry' it stand to reason and logic that among the complete number of who identify themselves as a 'jew' there will be at least one who is not 'money hungry' as has been described.

Being offended by something as trivial as a broad generalization is absurd. A sign of a hypersensitive personality if there ever was one.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
What is your history?
I ask because I'm curious what shaped your views on obama.
I already know your views so I don't need a diatribe I want to know why you think what you think.Was your family slave owners?

As far as I know, my family did not own slaves. But I don't know that for sure. It doesn't matter to me whether they did or not. They are people I don't even know, much less have responsibility for.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my views on Obama, though...

My views on Obama were formed by me watching, listening and reading about him and him and HIS views. Why "I think what I think" is a matter of my context on life, which is something that has been in formation my entire life and continues to form.

You say you know my views. I'm not sure you do.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I find myself questioning the relevance of one's heritage.

Aside from matters of self-imposed importance, what heritage seems to bring to any argument simply does not translate into anything other than bias.

I understand, and can empathize with the curiosity anyone might have about their lineage. But the essential value of the knowledge is strictly personal, and therefore any public manifestations of the facts are not much more than fodder for psychological manipulation.

I suppose if we travel the path of venerating our forefathers more than the lives of our children, we'll end up disappointed.

As far as social injustices go, we as a race (human) are simply guilty of the depths of arrogant vain pride, the epitome of ignorance.

Africans participated in slave trading, as did the Semites, and everybody else we can think of. Slavery seems to have been a human plague which we have yet to destroy. Yet we focus on he glory of the past, attempting somehow to internalize the pride and externalize the guilt of something which is a global societal flaw. Seems we are still lacking social leadership in this regard - even the religious institutions of the day seem to stand in the way of confronting this issue.

Politically, this is just a PR game. As is most everything about our celebrity leadership and their media cohorts 'produce' for our corruption .. err I mean consumption ... (was that Freudian?)

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Although I dislike him strongly, Barack Obama HAS accomplished something. She, on the other hand, has not. She's just there.

Before she was First Lady, Michelle Obama completed law school and became a prosperous and successful lawyer. She came from a solid and supportive family of modest means on Chicago's South Side. It was in her capacity as a lawyer that she met and married Barack Obama.

Many people don't realize that the position of First Lady is a full-time job. She serves as the President's ambassador to all sorts of public events, from the openings of schools and hospitals to charity events to meetings with heads of state, as when she was introduced to Queen Elizabeth II. She has to be fully schooled in diplomacy and etiquette, as any mistake can reflect badly on the President. She must also be a poised and skillful public speaker.

Then, of course, she is full-time mother to two of the most high-profile children in the U.S., who must also adjust to the demands of a public life.

BTW: I saw this article in yesterday's New York Times but decided not to post it because I was afraid the thread would disintegrate into non-productive diatribes about slavery and race. Turns out I was right.

I do think, though, that most Americans have ancestors of different races somewhere in their family trees.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^

The great empire will be torn from limb,

The all-powerful one for more than four hundred years:

Great power given to the dark one from slaves come,

The Aryana will not be satisfied thereby.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I can't believe people are so naive , mention anything about Black People and Average Americans will believe it.

Besides ,Obama's father is Kenyan so his bloodline isn't from African American Slaves.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

I pointed out that I am neither of those things

Then what is the problem? If you do not fall in the category of people which I am describing, and your skin color is the only attribute which ties you to my "massive generalization", then why even bother responding? If you do not use your ancestors' slavery for your own benefit, then I'm not talking about you.

Or did you mean that CERTAIN black people who did not suffer through slavery are an embarrasment and an insult

Yes that's what I meant. The word "certain" is not necessary because I made it clear in the following sentence who I was talking about. Any black people who do not use their ancestors' slavery to gain favors today were not a part of my "massive generalization".

The first lady has nothing to be proud of?

She doesn't. Marriage isn't an accomplishment. The only reason we know who she is is because of who she is married to.

Then you need to do your homework. That is quite sad that at this point you make that statement. M. Obama is a pretty successful woman. A black woman graduating Princeton and Harvard is nothing to sneeze at.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
removed post because other post was removed

[edit on 10/8/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
removed post because other post was removed

[edit on 10/8/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Maybe Michelle should remember her white ancestry and not have such issues with white folk and stop any further racist writings, such as her Princeton thesis.............

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join