It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many on here can bug-out with NOTHING?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
2 Miles from your Bug Out Bag? Oh Hell No!!!

Why do you only have one?

You should have a survival bag in all your cars, your home, friends houses on each side of the city, and even dig some holes and bury some.

Don't look at it as a bug out bag as some put it and others can't get past that line.

Look at it this way, keep the comforts of civilization nearby. I love to camp and to me you can not be over prepared. I have friends say "What do you need all that crap for?"

Then when they need to take one they are sure glad I had the toilet paper.

The simple things can make a tough situation bearable. A clean change of clothes, a blanket, and some Ibuprofin can make you feel so much better.

A small first aid kit, some gloves and toiletries and a tough situation is a breeze.

We are not talking about end of the world stuff here. This could be a small earthquake, power outage, or storm. Just keep the basics handy just in case. If you ever need any of it you will be glad you did.

A hundred bucks at the 99 cent store and you can make an awesome civilization kit.

What could it hurt to be prepared?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The Utopian Penguin,Thanks for the welcome,you sound like a lame salesman,I would relish the opportunity to watch you be forced to comply with a group agenda counter to your own personal "bubble view"of the world.Thats what survival is in any forum,including this one.

All I need to be able to do is outsmart you ,Cavemen figured the concept out a long time ago.Open up your mind and think on your feet a little,you put to much stock in the importance of the functional aspects of survival and that is like making wiping your arse the only aspect of hygene you practise.

So what if you have the functional aspects down ,humans all have instincts that will lead them to your conclusions anyways but your reliance on hardware or hardwired thinking will not allow you to follow your INSTINCTS ENOUGH TO TRULY SURVIVE.

anyone who has truly survived i a hostile environment will tell you that you have to first accept your surroundings then observe them then adjust to them and then adapt them to your advantage,IN THAT ORDER,I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE.

And most of those processes require the extensive use of instinct to know when to act and how to act.

Can you figure this out or do you need a little more help.

I wont apologise for my spelling errors, your comments on my spelling opened you up to return fire ,how do you think you will survive in a group dynamic with your stupid attitude,your skinny little arse is only worth so much salt ,maybe you need to be reminded that you are only a number and that when you extend neck it will usually be taken,you have showed how little you know about survival already,you have displayed your absolute lack of experience in less than 500 words.Thankfully in a real time situation it would only take you ten minutes to expose this much of your personality and ME ANOTHER TEN TO SEGREGATE YOU TO THE REAR ECHELON AND AWAY FROM ANY TYPE OF LEADERSHIP OR POWERBASED ACTIVITY,YOU ARE WOEFULLY UNDER-EQUIPPED FOR ANYTHING PAST MENIAL ONE DIMENSIONAL TASKS.

Someone in your life or your imagination provided you with "a spark of Alpha"behaviour and you built your dreams around that,BUT YOU DIDNT LIVE IT YOU DREAMED IT SO YOU HAVE NO FUNCTIONAL REALITY BASED EXPERIANCE ON BEING AN ALPHA.

The back of the pack for you buddy,through no fault of your own ,but you werent taught properly and you are a little far down the old line to be worth reteaching,you are most usefull pulling up the rear.You might be dangerous in a pressure or crirical situation.Weak link,I would probably nickname you LINK.

And your weapons and ninja training wont help,I had you pegged in ten minutes,your fate was decided in the first ten minutes and you were oblivious,One track mind you have.Easy to manipulate,you just need to believe that you "control"your own little kingdom or area,then you are easily manipulated,NOT A LEADER,A LINK.

Link.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Your most powerful asset is your mind.

Never depend on gear or supplies.

It is important to be flexible in terms of plans in any emergency.

Do not become fatally attached to a specific goal, continue to react and adapt to your most immediate surroundings.

The most important thing is to do is keep your mental composure.

Stay alert, stay positive, and keep moving.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am right behind you,perfect outlook.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
The Utopian Penguin,Thanks for the welcome,you sound like a lame salesman,I would relish the opportunity to watch you be forced to comply with a group agenda counter to your own personal "bubble view"of the world.Thats what survival is in any forum,including this one.
Lol Spoken like a true control freak.
Why wait,make a thread,I'll be happy to respond.
Have you read my threads or my posts?
I don't like to talk weapons.tactics,or advance technology.

All I need to be able to do is outsmart you ,Cavemen figured the concept out a long time ago.Open up your mind and think on your feet a little,you put to much stock in the importance of the functional aspects of survival and that is like making wiping your arse the only aspect of hygene you practise.

No,you have be able out smart A group of people.
If you focus on me you dead.
Specialization is for Ants by the way.
AS for thinking on my feet,I troubleshoot every day.
I spent most of my life trying to figure out fun and frivolous new ways to do things,people pay me for it.
I wouldn't follow you to a dumpster if I was hungry.
Why ?
I'm sure the glorious leader that you are,you would jump in first right ?

So what if you have the functional aspects down ,humans all have instincts that will lead them to your conclusions anyways but your reliance on hardware or hardwired thinking will not allow you to follow your INSTINCTS ENOUGH TO TRULY SURVIVE.

I don't have to follow modal patterns of behavior under stress,I'm creative.
I don't panic.Be the water not the glass.

anyone who has truly survived i a hostile environment will tell you that you have to first accept your surroundings then observe them then adjust to them and then adapt them to your advantage,IN THAT ORDER,I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE.

So ? WOW OK Where do I sign up,but you better be better leader than me.
How long would it take me by consensus to pry your butt from behind that desk ?

And most of those processes require the extensive use of instinct to know when to act and how to act.
Can you figure this out or do you need a little more help.

No,Training is important.skills are important,experience is important.
Situational awareness is importance.
Tactically,I can use your instincts against you ?
If I act in random manner or in manner you don't expect,I can unravel you,confuse you and make you soil your armor.
Hense the hissy fit.

I wont apologise for my spelling errors, your comments on my spelling opened you up to return fire ,how do you think you will survive in a group dynamic with your stupid attitude,your skinny little arse is only worth so much salt ,maybe you need to be reminded that you are only a number and that when you extend neck it will usually be taken,you have showed how little you know about survival already,you have displayed your absolute lack of experience in less than 500 words.Thankfully in a real time situation it would only take you ten minutes to expose this much of your personality and ME ANOTHER TEN TO SEGREGATE YOU TO THE REAR ECHELON AND AWAY FROM ANY TYPE OF LEADERSHIP OR POWERBASED ACTIVITY,YOU ARE WOEFULLY UNDER-EQUIPPED FOR ANYTHING PAST MENIAL ONE DIMENSIONAL TASKS.

Isn't this about the time you are suppose to salute me lol
Try not to a have a stroke.
Want me to fix your computer for you,teach you stuff, I'll give you a discount.

Someone in your life or your imagination provided you with "a spark of Alpha"behaviour and you built your dreams around that,BUT YOU DIDNT LIVE IT YOU DREAMED IT SO YOU HAVE NO FUNCTIONAL REALITY BASED EXPERIANCE ON BEING AN ALPHA.

I'm a alpha penguin OMG !!!
You know how how know ?
By your whining.

The back of the pack for you buddy,through no fault of your own ,but you werent taught properly and you are a little far down the old line to be worth reteaching,you are most usefull pulling up the rear.You might be dangerous in a pressure or crirical situation.Weak link,I would probably nickname you LINK.

Yes Sir General POOPY pants.
oh yeah that's right,I'm civilian,your not.
You should keep your assessments to your underlings.
Stay in your own sandbox.
You have no authority over me.
I'm not in here playing soldier,Why are you in here playing General.
24 hrs a day and most of your life isn't enough ?
Relax and start A thread. If you know what you doing,I might flag it.
Then again I expect you might get in trouble for this post.

And your weapons and ninja training wont help,I had you pegged in ten minutes,your fate was decided in the first ten minutes and you were oblivious,One track mind you have.Easy to manipulate,you just need to believe that you "control"your own little kingdom or area,then you are easily manipulated,NOT A LEADER,A LINK.
Link.

Are you suffering from PTSD or something ?
Penguin Tramatic Stress Dysfuntion.
Welcome to ATS you BELONG!!!!
WE have A RANT forum you know.
Heres the link
I prefer Pengy. Have A Nice Day

[edit on 15-11-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
OK Folks. Let's Play Nice, Please.

Stop the personal sniping.

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone .

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Survival will not be easy in any situation, even if supplied with all the basics.
How will one not be noticed if they are hunting all day, cooking around campfires, building shelters. avoiding the populations will not work, someone is always watching and will know where you are, not many places that anyone could escape to for complete paradise by oneself.

Groups might find themselves with better odds, but fights will surely break out between themselves, food also will be rationed leading to the needs of finding even more supplies to support these groups. there won't be any pleasentries when encountering another group or individual out there, it would be a shoot first ask questions later type scene, where the bigger or better party will take all.

Same could be said for urban bug ins, but at least you might have the food/water stores needed within your home, and four strong walls surrounding you.
Depending on where your camped, if you don't already have enough food/water and a decent shelter to tide you over, there won't be much chance at survival.
Holeing up, being quiet, staying out of sight and having enough supplies to last might at least ensure a longer survival rate than those who are running around the place after needs or other items that they are looking for.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

the first thing i woukd do in that sit is get me a knife any knife doesnt matter from where ( abandoned house ,shop ,dead body) then i could survive in the bush without any thing eles .but needles to say i would be scavenging what i could when i could as i was bugging out.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

you obviously have no idea of the current state of the aborigianal people i am australian and im white but by what i have seen this is not so . there are a few aborigianal tribe out there who still practice thier traditional bushcraft but not many they are isolated in remote desert far to the north so they are of no use to me. alot (and i mean alot) of aborigianal people now days are drug and alcohol dependant with minimal education and no drive to do much of any thing im am not saying this is true for all aborigianal people my fionce is aborigianal and her family are all decent hard working folk and the kids are all extreamly inteligent and know about thier culture and heratige they could definatly survive in a shtf situation but my point is do not rely on other peoples knowledge build your own and use it wisely

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
And your weapons and ninja training wont help,I had you pegged in ten minutes,your fate was decided in the first ten minutes and you were oblivious,One track mind you have.
Link.

It sure is easy to understand someone from a few posts on the internet where people typically don't act exactly as they do in real life situations.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
At the risk of hijacking the thread, can I ask a small question pertinent to the topic?

There are mentions above about trapping small game etc. I've heard about 'rabbit starvation' where people eating rabbits and the like exclusively for protein are starved of essential fats. Does anyone know of a good, abundant fat source in a survival situation?

Fish is an option, but many can be very far from a source.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

I believe pretty much any larger game will do. Small animals tend to be pretty lean (they tend to be prey so spend a lot of time running) I'm not too sure on any of this, not really a survivalist, I usually just lurk this board. I think birds would work too, well, not too sure about wild birds, I know turkeys and chickens and the like have a decent fat content.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It is highly unlikely that in the event of a global disaster you would ever be faced with the prospect of rabbit starvation.First of all it would take a lot of rabbits to starve yourself to death with,wouldnt it?

In an extreme situation in the winter when there is no other available food source containing fat or nutrients a steady diet of only lean meat will eventually result in a loss of nutritional balance and you will burn more calories than the lean meat will give you and you will become weaker and weaker as time passes and your diet remains only rabbit,but throw in just one fish and you are ok for quite a while,a handfull or two of berries and you might make it,its pretty hard to starve to death in the wilderness nless it is extreme weather and you have absolutely no knowledge.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Beaver works pretty well,you just gotta get em out of their houses,ha,ha,ha.Really,lots of fat there when you are in need.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
To the OP that would be awesome because then it would be Modern Warfare 2 time in real life.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I'd be dead within a week.

I'd really have to find some people that do know what to do...

Just kiddin, i'd be as suave as Tom Cruise in war of the worlds.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Republican08]

Yeah....me too.......no like....like.........Brad Pitt in 12 monkeys?

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by guppy
reply to post by rtcctr

First priority is to have a plan. Plan Plan Plan. Even the most basic plan. You discuss this with your family. Make sure everyone is on the same page. And make it a sensible plan. Nothing complex. So when SitX occurs, you won't panic and being to execute your plan.

Also be prepared. I always like the saying, "Plan for the worse, Hope for the best."

With that in mind, my cars have basic supplies -- sleeping bag, flashlight, spare clothes, food, a little cash, local map, etc. Each family member knows the plan:

- Go Home
- If Home NOT accessible, go to X-person's house
- If Town NOT accessible, do the following:
- Problem from North, go to site A
- Problem from South, go to site B
- Problem from West, go to site C
- Problem from East, go to site D

A simple plan all members of your family can understand and remember. With SitX, those who don't panic and take the first initiative is ahead of the curve.

Exactly. Very well put. This is what we have done with our family, now sons live elswhere, and they know if sitX happens, they are on their own to make it to "Home Base", they have been trained to the best of our ability and I have to trust in them to do what they need to do. Daughter is still young and at home. She knows if school does not bring her home and cant stay at the school, she is to go to house A, B, or C depending on sitX and one of us will come for her. She has also had the same "training" as the boys.

Now I know my own personal luck, and sitX will happen as you say... car with BoB is inaccessable. I am one of those who probably need psychiatric help because first of all I rarely leave home, but when I do I always have my hoody jacket (always cold - yes even in summer) which I've sewn into the lining several "tools" (listed on another post w/ reasons why). My hubby knows my goal will be to get to safest places ASAP, whether that be home, or site AB or C. He will come after me if I am not home in 3 days. The "tools" I have (physical and mental) will hopefully keep me alive long enough to get safe.

May not be the best plan, but is flexible enough that we have a chance. And the fact is, we DO discuss "what if's" as a family. We are in a rural area where several "local" emergencies have already tested our plans, and have worked so far.

As you say, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Nobody plans to fail, they fail to plan.

Casing

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I for 1 will be making a "bug-out" just in-case i have the time to collect it, if not then its back to basics!

Hell if caveman did it i can do it! i love camping out & know where food & water sources are, as to hygiene well moss makes a pretty good alternative to toilet paper (personal experience)

Stone (flint) can be used to make a knife, axe, spear, arrow etc etc
Starting a fire with just dry leaves or moss & a lot of friction isn't that hard or just striking 2 stones together will create a spark.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I am fortunate in the fact that I will never bug out with nothing, everywhere I go I have my duty weapon .40 Glock 22C with 3 magazines, folding tanto knife and handcuffs. That is only what I keep on my person(even in church). I have much more in my car. If I am on duty I will be in hell, our department would be swamped immediately, and it would take 12-24 hours to activate all emergency resources.

Secure

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Thank god I was wearing my gun pants and sweater made out of 100 dollar bills. Phew...could have been a close one!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join