It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many on here can bug-out with NOTHING?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by PSUSA

I can imagine it is a real wake up call. Most people think they can forage for berries. Berries are only around a few weeks. And you have to eat a whole heck of a lot of them to even get full. I mean the blueberry variety.

Any red berry you would have to be very particular about. If you didn't know for sure, then I wouldn't suggest eating it.

It gives an appreciation on how animals make it day after day.

Your right nixie, yes,A wake up call.
That hawthorn can be medicinal, but if you eat the seeds it can kill you.
If you have an angina attack, it may save you.
PSUSA said "eat away on that" I said "you first" and if he did,I would have one less mouth to feed. But I may not of let him eat it. But when I told him not to,would he listen ?

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I took boy scouts when I was young and kept studing native american culture and the homeless, I have military training but I knew survival skills before I went in.

I lived like a homeless person in the cities and if I was in the woods I have been walking them for years so I knew where to find the water,

I know that there is safe foods in ALL fast-food dumpsters (summertime safe for 3 days and in winter below 32 it lasts longer),You can eat most insects (worms are good, alot of protein, and easy to find in the summer) Winter in the woods I would follow animal tracks to their hole and make and set a snare or if I knew they were out clog the hole deep enough for them to get in but not so far as I couldn't get them out.I would make a skewer and leave it close to the hole for my weapon/tool.

I can and have made cutting tools out of seashells and rocks and glass to do the task at hand, so I do not carry a knife.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
reply to post by ANNED

Now A question for you ANNED.
Now that I found this Hawthorn,How can I fully utilize that plant.
There is clues in the picture.

The hawthorne berry is one of the best cardiac tonics available, and is often used to treat high blood pressure. Today, hawthorn is mainly used to treat angina, hypertension and arrhythmias.

The hawthorn leaves, flowers and berries contain many phytochemicals including catechins, crataegus acid, hyperoside, isoorientin, isovitexin, orientin, saponins, procyanidins, quercetin, quercitrin and vitexin. The most important phytochemical in hawthorn is crataegus acid which is responsible for the coronary vasodilating effect.

Tests with animals have shown that hawthorn works by increasing the contraction force of the heart, improving the integrity of blood vessel walls, increasing blood flow and improving oxygen utilisation. Studies with humans suggest that the flavonoids in hawthorn decerase the risk of heart diseases. It is known that flavonoids have antioxidant properties and strengthen blood vessel wall by stimulating cross linking of collagen. Flavonoids cause vessel dilation and increase intracellular calcium level. Hawthorn can influence the heart rate.

Absence of oxygen in the blood can cause damage to the heart's muscular wall, caused by the release of neutrophil elastase. The procyanidins in hawthorn could inhibit neutrophil elastase. Tests with animals have also shown that hawthorn can reduce cholesterol and triglycerides levels in the blood. These effects could be attributed to the catechin, saponins and quercetin.

Clinical studies with hawthorn on humans are limited. On clinical study showed that hawthorn extracts improved symptoms such as fatigue, palpitations and dyspnoea and increased performance. Many studies have shown that hawthorn has a beneficial effect on heart failure. One important study investigated the effect of a combined hawthorn-passion flower extract on forty patients. The study showed an increase in exercise capacity and a decrease of heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol level and dyspnoea. A study on patients with cardiac insufficiency, in which 136 patients were involved, showed that patients who took hawthorn extract had an improvement of cardiac performance. On trial compared hawthorn extract with captopril on 132 patients. Captopril is a medicine used to lower blood pressure, to relieve symptoms of congestive heart failure and to improve survival after a heart attack. Hawthorn seemed to have similar effects as captopril on exercise tolerance, fatigue and dyspnoea. Hawthorn extract did not gave any adverse effect.
Both ancient and modern herbalists have successfully used hawthorn for its food and health benefits. Modern science shows that hawthorne contains chemical components which are sedative, anti-spasmodic and diuretic. If you intend to use it for medicinal purposes, look for C. laevigata, C. monogyna, or C. pinnatifida, as these hybrids are known best for their medicinal uses. Read how to make a tincture or an infusion using hawthorne flowers or Both ancient and modern herbalists have successfully used hawthorn for its food and health benefits. Modern science shows that hawthorne contains chemical components which are sedative, anti-spasmodic and diuretic. If you intend to use it for medicinal purposes, look for C. laevigata, C. monogyna, or C. pinnatifida, as these hybrids are known best for their medicinal uses. Read how to make a tincture or an infusion using hawthorne flowers or berries.

The hawthorne berry is one of the best cardiac tonics available, and is often used to treat high blood pressure.

Hawthorne berries are used to treat childhood diabetes. See Cautions.

Hawthorne flower tea is a safe diuretic.

Hawthorne berries, dried and crushed and made into a decoction, eases diarrhea and dysentery, kidney inflammations and disorders. See Cautions.

The young hawthorne leaves can be used as a safe, and non-nicotine tobacco substitute for those who desire to quite smoking. Enhance the flavor and help heal the throat by adding yarrow, mint, coltsfoot or mullein.

Chewing the hawthorne leaf has been known for centuries as a safe way to give nourishment, revive energy, and a feeling of well-being. That is why it can be used to treat those who have problems with apprehension, insomnia and despondency. Chewing hawthorne leaves takes away that "tummy grumble" when you"re hungry. That is why the hawthorne became known as the "bread and cheese" tree, giving as much sustenance as a plate of bread and cheese.

The hawthorne leaf-buds are good cooked (10 to 20 minutes) and have a similar taste to lima beans. They make a great addition to chilis and soups.

You can make jellies and fruit sauces from the berries, just make sure you strain the sauce. Hawthorne berries contain their own pectin so the sauce or jelly will thicken nicely.

Hawthorne flowers are edible and make an attractive addition to salads and other dishes.

Hawthorne seeds can be roasted and used in a manner similar to coffee.

Cautions
Hawthorne is a very powerful herb and in most cases should be taken along with other herbs rather than by itself for medicinal purposes. When dealing with medical conditions, I recommend consultation with a medical professional rather than attempting self-medication.

The hawthorne berry is one of the best cardiac tonics available, and is often used to treat high blood pressure.

Since i have high blood pressure and have had bypass surgery i would look at this plant in a SitX as a replacement for my medications.
i would make a tea from the leaves, flowers or barries and start with a small doseage and using a blood pressure cuff work up a medical doseage that would control my symptoms.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by ANNED]

[edit on 14-10-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think most people that would attempt to respond would do better than most, and if it werent for a 'zombie' (clueless sheeple turned cannibal) apocalypse survival odds decrease. It all comes down to preparative psychology, 'hardening', and time. Most sheeple will turn cannibal when they can no longer get 90% of lifes 'necessities' from Wamart & McDonalds. At that moment you better have ammo. So ammo becomes an issue. I think most people would find their way on their own, it would just take longer and be more painful for the unprepared than for those prepared. For those who cant survive without Walmart whatsoever, eventually they die off leaving more resources for the rest. Its all a time game whether wilderness or urban wild, the more time alive means the more resources one would be able to amass in the pursuit of luxary above survival. Of course, get enough sheeple running around in zombie mode and all bets might be offf for even the most prepared individual.

Recently a friend told me the best thing I can do is not tell ANYBODY about my daily survivalist / stockpiling ways. After literally doubling the size of my urban container garden the other day, to large enough to be able to eat almost exclusively off it daily, year round, in my climate, those words really set home.

The question could potentially be how many zombie's will show up at your door knowing you're stocked to survive?

So your question is relative.... either in the wilderness its about how long would it take you to build your efforts into comfort, or in the urban wild how prepared are you for that set of misery, and how much ammo do you have to keep those unprepared OUT?

I'm quite confident I wouldnt DIE in the wilderness, but the hand youre delt in your footbeat travels would have luxary survival at issue. For the unprepared masses, the thread title could read "How long would you survive in your local wilderness". If I werent aware of my local flora via deliberate research (especially not being a true native to this climate), I'd be left to figure it out on my own in the wild. Not knowing your local habitat is like not having any sort of weapon to defend your stockpiles in the urban wild. Stockpiles are irrelevent when the warlords show up in force to 'take' your hard earned prepardness reserves.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have no intentions of 'bugging out', probably just lock down everything and enjoy the chaos of it all. if any of my frends manage to get to my place beforehand, they're more than welcomed, anyone else manages to find their way to me, better have good intentions in mind

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I can't relate to this. I am never away from the house 2 miles or 200 without the minumun of a knife and a gun. Anybody caught in that situation is certainly not of a survivalist mindset.
Seeashrink

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Why would anyone be caught out without a knife. I never leave the house unless I have a leatherman in one pocket and a big-a**ed folding hunting knife in the other.
Of course, I live in the south, and it is unthinkable that someone who lives on a farm would be without a knife of some sort.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm soooo glad i'm a woman. If sitx breaks out, i dig into my bag- it contains a wealth of stuff. Camera, Ipod, makeup, medicines, good credit cards, useless credit cards, ...you name it. Only thing missing is a Gold boullon. (sp).

I feel safer already.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Trade most of that stuff for A good quality multitool, flint & steel and small portions of pure silver.

Oh ....and get some water purification tablets,maybe a good little mylar bag to hold water(fold it up really small).

...and whats on the Ipod ?

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
"My mind is the weapon, everything else, is just merely an accessory"

Acquisition on site site, blend with the locals (ie do not draw attention to yourself), don't allow emotion to cloud logical reasoning.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

What about the people who have none of that?

How will they survive?

They won't.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This is a grey area and since it's purely hypothetical I'm not sure how I should answer it. No one can survive with nothing. Do I have the ability to resort to savagery and take what I deemed necessary for my survival from others that are weaker than me by force , I sure could. is it in my nature to do so? Absolutely not. I'd like to think that I'd resort to eating Grass , Grubs and Garbage before that happened. But then again none of us really know what we would resort to in the act of self preservation until we were thrown into that situation.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
People will panic to start with,but you would be surprised how quick basic instincts will surface once a situation happens

I will never carry any survival gear for the simple fact that it will make me a target for the paniced people without any

5 simple words will calm the most paniced person during any situation; "I can keep you alive." and without a weapon I am not a threat to them.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
There always has to be one that wants exact details.Common sense should have told you to pick one more severe than just a mob fight on the street.

Hmm. Interesting.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Not me. I think the whole 'bug out' idea is ridiculous. I think many people delude themselves. Maybe because they once went camping for two weeks and enjoyed it. You might buy yourself a little time, but the people most likely to survive long term in a disaster situation will be those who are already living off the land and who learnt survival at their mothers knee.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Anytime the shtf people look for other people for support,so my friends you would all look for other people immediatly and begin making mutually supported group decisions .

I promise,because out of all of you people so far no one has gotten the point.I would be leading you inside of 24hrs.

And everything would truly be alright.

Yes I shoot guns I have my whole life,but I have seen seventy year old women in the City at ranges which means they could cap me from 200yds if they chose,so guns dont matter as much as you think,people do.

Berries are nice,but as you all have bits and pieces of the puzzel,you would need to be a fulltime berry picker and avoid hungry bears to survive for the several months they are available,and forget about storing berries for the winter because you wouldnt have time or energy to pick extra berries .

You need manpower,directed to pick the berries ,at exactly the right time,while at the same time other manpower is directed to search for protein,exactly as our ancesters did,everything about survival is about gambling and hence LEADERSHIP,and true leadership comes from THE VERY BEST COMMUNICATORS.

I and my cared for ones,which would be essentially everyone who chooses to join me will ALWAYS SURVIVE AS A GROUP,yes I might die as a leader killed by a bad person,but my leadership and sacrifice will have seeded the next leader ,the concept is simple and effective and proven over thousands of years,I believe I will stick with it.

You catch more bees with honey than with vinegar,and it takes bees to build a hive.Violence and weapons will never do it ,they never have,they have always been tools of leaders smarter than the people weilding them.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Survival is not easy at all. Its only easy to imagine. Because when you imagine your own survival. Something always saves the day.
But in reality you have to be very very lucky if survival is going to be easy. Specially if you have to bug out with nothing to support your survival.

Location, climate and time of year is crucial to a survivor who has to start from scratch.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I repeat,you will never be alone,unless you want to be,a scenario where you are snoop and pooping is a lot different than post apocolypse survival in a melted down society.You will never be alone and you will ALWAYS FIND STRENGTH IN NUMBERS AND THE SOONER THE BETTER.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Obama?.... Is that You!?!....

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
Anytime the shtf people look for other people for support,so my friends you would all look for other people immediatly and begin making mutually supported group decisions .

Shorry but sphelling is imortant in our groop and you can't spell
And were not taking applications any longer ....so sorry
Welcome to the survival forum here a ATS.

I promise,because out of all of you people so far no one has gotten the point.I would be leading you inside of 24hrs.
And everything would truly be alright.

No trespassing move along

Yes I shoot guns I have my whole life,but I have seen seventy year old women in the City at ranges which means they could cap me from 200yds if they chose,so guns dont matter as much as you think,people do.

Berries are nice,but as you all have bits and pieces of the puzzel,you would need to be a fulltime berry picker and avoid hungry bears to survive for the several months they are available,and forget about storing berries for the winter because you wouldnt have time or energy to pick extra berries .

You need manpower,directed to pick the berries ,at exactly the right time,while at the same time other manpower is directed to search for protein,exactly as our ancesters did,everything about survival is about gambling and hence LEADERSHIP,and true leadership comes from THE VERY BEST COMMUNICATORS.

Your babbling and you can't spell. This is your first post in this survival forum and your already think your the leader.
My group doesn't believe in leaders.
We learns skills independently and become teachers.
We all contribute,even the kids.
We are an organism,with clearly defined goals.

I and my cared for ones,which would be essentially everyone who chooses to join me will ALWAYS SURVIVE AS A GROUP,yes I might die as a leader killed by a bad person,but my leadership and sacrifice will have seeded the next leader ,the concept is simple and effective and proven over thousands of years,I believe I will stick with it.

There are no guarantee's of survival.
All you can do is acquire and test your skills,make an effort and be flexible.
You sound like your trying to start a cult.

You catch more bees with honey than with vinegar,and it takes bees to build a hive.Violence and weapons will never do it ,they never have,they have always been tools of leaders smarter than the people weilding them.

What are you talking about ?
Welcome to the survival forum.
Read some threads.
LMAO

[edit on 15-11-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join