It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many on here can bug-out with NOTHING?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

What Do you want me to do ....put you on the right path oh knight who say Rose hip haha A PATH!!!! A PATH !!!!

I ask you a simple question and you continue to fart in my general direction!

Here is an image of rose hips. Notice the similarities between the leaves and the "berries" with the pic you posted.

But back to topic:

Nat Geo just had a program on about a man that went to Alaska to play survivor by himself. Perhaps it was a topic here, I don't know. I thought it was kind of a joke. He had a lot of supplies and not much common sense. He lasted 50 days.

I knew he was doomed because he left an area that had food, and went into an area that he claimed had no food. I declare shenanigans on that. HE was just too picky on what he considered to be food. The idiot moved when he should have stayed put.

Another thing that led me to believe he would fail was that he "dreamed of doing this since he was a kid". Well he found out that reality can be a real bitch. Things are never as you imagine they will be. It's always much better or much worse than you thought it would be. It's usually worse.

If he had gone into this with his eyes open he would have done better.

So you can have all the best gear in the world and yet fail because of a bad mindset and a total lack of adaptability.

[edit on 11/10/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I do not own any BO equipment,I know how to make or where to find what I need when I need it.

I do own common sense items like a rain suit but I don't leave home with it every day

I will rephrase the question

How many people on here has the knowledge to survive without ANY B.O. equipment?

quote]Originally posted by Alethea
I think your question is very valid.
These are the instructions that have been given:

In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.

Luke 17:31

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Alethea]

This was in the back of my mind when I started this thread but I am not asking from the religious side

reply to post by rapunzel222

I never said I wouldn't tribe up if I can

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

I have tried this as an experiment. I know basic flint knapping skills and can make a rudimentary knife. When i went on a 2 month trip into the woods i had minimal kit but it did include an axe, knife, saw etc. For a week i left my kit alone, using just my flint knife that i had made.

I can tell you right now that it was incredibly hard. Catching food wasn't to diffocult as i used plenty of traps and snares. Constructing a shelter however was a nightmare, as was splitting wood for a fire (i used a wooden wedge for that). Many other activites were difficult and i can't imagine living a full winter with just my flint knife. The extra calories i had to use in the most simple tasks was a real drain.

So basically i would make sure to head home and get at least a good knife and my axe.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

I'll trade you those rose hips for what ever that other one is.
Would you eat them ?
I need name the specific name of the one's I presented before i'll eat them.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

I'll rephrase my answer.
I don't know ?
To the best of my abilities.
There are homeless people everywhere.
They survive.
I can survive anything you can survive.
But I'm most likely not going to do it the way you do it.
It depends on what skill set you bring to the table.
Can I survive with nothing ? Yes
I won't have nothing for long.
i'm too good at trading my skill.
There in demand.
I have to tell people to leave me alone.
my skills are useful in A urban and A rural environment.

Did you do it on purpose ?
Did you have a choice ?
If so...
Why are you not still doing it ?

[edit on 11-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I have two resupply points and one has a old .22 and enough supplies for a couple weeks. these are not in town and hidden on government property (100 feet inside a military bombing range where very few people would go exploring) where i can get to them without any problem

This would allow me time to find replacement for most of my BoB.
This also gives me a weapon in case the government grabs my weapons at home
There is some government sites that i could loot for replacements for my BoB.
(US forest service fire camps, ETC)

The only thing i would miss from my BoB would be my small hand powered night vision scope. It always let me have more freedom of movement at night when other had to stop or use lights.
If you own the night you can do more then most.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

2 miles from home and shtf, it's not very far and you can't just stand rooted to one spot, so to keep moving is obvious. Just as obvious is that you keep moving toward home and your supplies, until you are forced to do otherwise. And, until that exact moment, no one knows for certain what they will do.

Edited to add:
Carry a knife at all times, most people I know do so, some carry 3 or 4. It's not an odd thing to do and you'll use it more than you think, once you get used to having it.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by SheaWolf]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
If it happened to me, I would walk 2 miles to my house. Less than 20 minutes away on foot even if you're dogging it.

Personally I think preparing for this type of situation is a moot exercise. You *NEED* a base of operations somewhere that offers protection from the elements and a place to store supplies. "Bugging out" or staying on the move, trying to live off the land, etc. should be a last resort and WILL result in your death. The "lone wolf" scenario of some guy surviving in the wilderness with nothing but a toothbrush and a roll of bailing wire only works in the movies.

The ONLY reason I'll be bugging out is if environmental hazards force me to. Nuclear contamination, flood, aliens attacking my town, whatever.

There's no point in stocking up for a disaster if your plan is to just "bug out" at the first sign of trouble.

I suppose this can be used as a good exercise showing that everyone needs a backup plan. If you're walking down the road, 2 miles from your house, and SHTF including your house blowing up, what's your option B?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
[

OMG should I eat this ? Any know what that is ?

family= Rosaceae
genus= crataegus
common name= Hawthorn
by the shape of the leaf most likely one of the Species like laevigata, Oxyacantha, Monogyna. with out seeing the flower i can not be sure what species it is.
Some you can eat and some are used as a herbal medicine for angina and high blood pressure.

some were close with rose hips same family.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Did you do it on purpose ? Yes and I enjoyed it and that was FREEDOM
Did you have a choice ? Yes, I had a permanant home if I wanted it
If so...
Why are you not still doing it ? I still use my skills when needed, I work to pay child support and rent right now.

I do not worry accidents because I have medical training and know what to do.

I do not drink or do any drugs including taking an asprin for a headache.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

I can imagine it is a real wake up call. Most people think they can forage for berries. Berries are only around a few weeks. And you have to eat a whole heck of a lot of them to even get full. I mean the blueberry variety.

Any red berry you would have to be very particular about. If you didn't know for sure, then I wouldn't suggest eating it.

It gives an appreciation on how animals make it day after day.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I am not trying to hijack, just taking advantage of the topic to ask a question. In a complete bug out situation. What do you work on by order of priority. I know it may be common sense, but I figure it is better then to assume.

Find water? Find shelter? build fire? find protection? What are your thoughts?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I am not trying to hijack, just taking advantage of the topic to ask a question. In a complete bug out situation. What do you work on by order of priority. I know it may be common sense, but I figure it is better then to assume.

In the totally highly unlikely situation where you are dropped in the middle of nowhere, ala Survivorman, the first priority is based on the climate than anything. In most cases, a rudimentary form of shelter is going to be first because the idea is to keep your body temp in the normal zone. Shade in heat, protection in the cold. It also depends if you're trying to stay where you are or travel. Camping or hiking is the first question.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Most people think they can forage for berries. Berries are only around a few weeks. And you have to eat a whole heck of a lot of them to even get full. I mean the blueberry variety. Any red berry you would have to be very particular about. If you didn't know for sure, then I wouldn't suggest eating it.

Agreed. ABout the only red ones I'd bother with are raspberries, rose hips, the odd strawberry and mulberries. There might be a few more I don't know about. Those are the ones I know are in my area.

I think that if I was stranded for what I knew would be a long time and I found berries, I'd pick as much as I could and scrounge up the makings for pemmican. You can live off of that.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There are these type of events all over the nation!
boisdarc.info...
I sugest everyone should make arrangements to visit/attend one.
www.watercreekknapin.com...
These are the real survivors!
The unwritten membership # is close to 1 million members.
Most stay close to known primitive camping sites proven to be 1000+ years of artifacts, the natives did not stay there without reason!

Please look at the pics and the classes that are taught, this is a word of mouth/well untill PC's public event/s
They welcome the public!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Very good ANNED :up;
The flowers are white.
Canadian hawthorn (Crataegus canadensis Sarg)
You could eat the fruit A little bit
But the seeds might kill you
The seeds are poisonous

[edit on 12-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Whats most likely going to kill you first ?

Safety(you need to be able to protect yourself from A threat)

Water(depending on exertion 2 to 10 days)
Shelter( one of the goals is not to freeze or sweat)
Fire
Food

When I'm assessing the situation I look at all five at once.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I go to work with nothing but the clothes on my back and my motorcycle, AS long as I have gas in it I'll be ok, but if the world was to implode then theres nothing I could do anyway, so why bother?
But if there a solar flare causing ALL electricals to be out then I'd have to walk the 14 miles home, no big deal take about 3 hours, 4 if I gotta stop by the wifes work and walk her back as well. we'd stop and actually talk to people like we did here in the UK in Feb this year when we had snowfall and everything ground to a halt. What a fun couple of days that was I can tell you.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Now A question for you ANNED.
Now that I found this Hawthorn,How can I fully utilize that plant.
There is clues in the picture.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Ok rtcctr you need to interact with more than just me in your thread.
Plus you say that you survived with nothing,in any environment there are resources. What resources did you utilize ?
You can't live without water for long,at the start of your adventure,where did you get your water for those two year?.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join