It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many on here can bug-out with NOTHING?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We all talk about having a BOB and gear for sit x,
What if you are not near your bag or gear when sit x happens,

Heres the senerio,

Your walking down the street 2 miles from your gear and sit-x happens,All you have on you is the cloths you are wearing and your knowledge

My ? to everyone is can you survive without even a knife on you( meaning find and make what you need as you need it)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Threads like this have no point, if you are going to ask people to create fantasies about how they think they will behave then you haven't seen people in an actual disaster situation.

Everyone here will reply that they are 100% ready at any time to be the next Mr. Wilderness, yet half the people that spout off on this website would be the first to throw their hands up and cry to the authorities should something go wrong.

As for myself, I would go home, because "bugging out" is pointless when there are 14,000 other flies with the same idea. If anything I want to watch the action from my front porch, with a lawn chair and a cigar. Oh yea, and a shotgun.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

That would be tough.

I think the people who will survive the best in that situation are criminals.

They already have the skills you would need, breaking into places, stealing cars, assaulting people.

Unfortunately to survive without any supplies you would have to resort to the same tactics.

That is why it's so important that the law-abiding citizens have guns to blow a hole in one of those jokers if they come after you or your family.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
Threads like this have no point, if you are going to ask people to create fantasies about how they think they will behave then you haven't seen people in an actual disaster situation.

Everyone here will reply that they are 100% ready at any time to be the next Mr. Wilderness, yet half the people that spout off on this website would be the first to throw their hands up and cry to the authorities should something go wrong.

As for myself, I would go home, because "bugging out" is pointless when there are 14,000 other flies with the same idea. If anything I want to watch the action from my front porch, with a lawn chair and a cigar. Oh yea, and a shotgun.

Right on.

Since when did running away from our problems become the solution? I'm a grown ass man and you won't find me "bugging out" unless a nuke wipes out everything I know and love.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by ItIsWhatItIs]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'd be dead within a week.

I'd really have to find some people that do know what to do...

Just kiddin, i'd be as suave as Tom Cruise in war of the worlds.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Anyone who has actually survived an emergency situation will tell you that common sense is all you really need.

Expect situation X to occur when the kids are in school and you are at work. Separating us from each other will add another level of desperation to those trying to follow a pre-arranged disaster scenario.

Think on your feet or forget it. Unless you have played out a scenario like this beforehand, you won't have an edge anyway.

The highways are already capable of be closed off, so travel by car will be impossible. So. How are you going to rendevous with your family who may be located at the four corners? You won't.

The lunacy, panic and terror of everyone around you will be your first and worst obstacle to overcome. Should you miraculously evade roadblocks and panicked citizens and government authorities, you still have no way of knowing how to locate your loved ones. This fact will cause even more panic and fear.

Anyone able to remain calm in an emergency will have a much better chance of making do with the circumstances as they present themselves.

If you haven't pre-planned. You won't have much of a chance anyway.

If you have pre-planned. You are still in danger of having your supplies stolen by roving mobs.

Situation X means that full-blown crisis and anarchy have broken out and nothing will keep you safe in that case.

Be able to think fast, use common sense, make do with what you happen to have and innovate. That is the only way to survive an emergency crisis situation.

Besides, how will you know which panicked citizen is your ally and which is the one that will kill you for your potted meat? You won't. Best to plan ahead for a solitary journey to survival. Don't give up hope, just be realistic. People abhor chaos and will freeze or act insanely instead of thinking calmly and clearly.

How sad to be thinking and speaking about these things.

Just be ready to trust yourself and roll with it. Bug out bags and prior planning is for the comfort of the mind, not necessarily equivalent to assured survival.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

I think you've got the right idea general idea on what it might take to survive in a SHTF situation.

Here's my position. I'm a nice guy. I don't steal. I don't take advantage. I'm not selfish.

In Sit-X, I'm a dead man unless I nut up and start getting not-nice.

Not all "not-nicers" are going to do well. Some idiots will just loot randomly and end up dead with a house full of Blu-Ray players. Others will become extremely territorial and become a little too savage and end up dead also.

What you'll probably find is that people will tribe up and live off each other's willingness to help their tribe survive.

Sorry this got a little off-topic to the BOB. Bug Out Bags are stupid.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I know I left my situation vague but I was trying to see how many would be mentally ready more than anything else

Hazelnut, I give you a star for explaining it so perfect,and you are so right it is a shame to even have to think about this.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Anyone who has actually survived an emergency situation will tell you that common sense is all you really need.

This is true, But "common sense" is a relative term. That kind of stress does funny things with your mind. You either know what I am talking about or you don't. Underestimate this at your peril.

During a personal SHTF, I was able to function when others couldn't. But I did NOT function at anything near 100%. I just said "F*** it", accepted that I would probably die and did the best I could. It was a learning experience.

But barring injury and sickness, I could do it. It's not as if you will be dropped out in the middle of nowhere with no gear. You could scrounge what you need, and improvise what you can't find. It just would not be fun.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Alone you won't last that long. even with gear, even as a seasoned hunter, the fact of the matter is the Amount of people in this nation. Its quite staggering when you really think about it.

Now imagine, everyone gets the hair up their rear to go joe. We are talking about alot of people, most likely trying to do it by themselves.

Our biggest downfall since modern tech has made our lives easier, is our lack of trust and fellowship with our fellow man. We would need to put aside our differences and work together. Yeah I know, this concept scares alot of people.
But your going to run into it more than you would like too.

Together we can turn a forest into a paradise, But alone, we turn it into hell.
honestly, unless we as a species can work together, we might as well leave our BoB at home, and run to the shelters, because as people might be dying in the cities an in shelters, the forests and wilderness won't be much different.

Canada will luck out, as we flush the Nations Population of Wildlife up to their remote areas with our Bickering, and our Loud heavy footsteps and our Gold bars.

throughout history, groups of people conquered landscapes, they survived and established villages and homesteads, how many single people have you heard of doing that alone.

We have lost, if we are viewing our future survival as a Personal situation.

[edited to add - print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

print "Hello, world!\n";]

[edit on 8-10-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

First priority is to have a plan. Plan Plan Plan. Even the most basic plan. You discuss this with your family. Make sure everyone is on the same page. And make it a sensible plan. Nothing complex. So when SitX occurs, you won't panic and being to execute your plan.

Also be prepared. I always like the saying, "Plan for the worse, Hope for the best."

With that in mind, my cars have basic supplies -- sleeping bag, flashlight, spare clothes, food, a little cash, local map, etc. Each family member knows the plan:

- Go Home
- If Home NOT accessible, go to X-person's house
- If Town NOT accessible, do the following:
- Problem from North, go to site A
- Problem from South, go to site B
- Problem from West, go to site C
- Problem from East, go to site D

A simple plan all members of your family can understand and remember. With SitX, those who don't panic and take the first initiative is ahead of the curve.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PSUSA

This is true, But "common sense" is a relative term. That kind of stress does funny things with your mind. You either know what I am talking about or you don't. Underestimate this at your peril.

During a personal SHTF, I was able to function when others couldn't. But I did NOT function at anything near 100%. I just said "F*** it", accepted that I would probably die and did the best I could. It was a learning experience.

Fortunately for me, my teenage years were spent in relative hell and instability. Because of the circumstances I was forced to endure I was able to realize that, in my case, I am able to remain calm until the "situation" was over. Then I fell apart. So, I have a kind of track record with surviving all sorts of horrendous situations with little to nothing in the way of help and certainly no human assistance.

I'm calm in the face of danger. Once the danger is over, I panic. LOL

During grenade training in boot camp, everyone else were nervous and panicky before tossing their live grenade. It seemed like I was the only one not shaking or sweating while waiting in line. Then, I tossed my live grenade. Afterward, my body went into some kind of shock, the shaking started and I almost fainted. So, when emergencies happen, I know that I'll be ok, until the danger has passed at least.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtcctr

My ? to everyone is can you survive without even a knife on you( meaning find and make what you need as you need it)

That needs to be everyones goal if you call yourself a survivalist. Gear is only a nice thing to have. It's not a substitute for knowledge and skills. But that is all most people talk about. I understand that, because gear is cool and if there is no SHTF then you have some great camping gear.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I'm calm in the face of danger. Once the danger is over, I panic. LOL

I know exactly what you mean.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If I were caught out in the open or away from my house with nothing when SHTF, I would quickly analyze the situation, figure out what is going on and what might be a threat to myself and friends/family that might be with me or close to my location at the time, then properly adapt to the situation at hand. We are all animals, we all have the animal instincts of survival pre wired in the brain even if you don't know it or never experienced these instincts before, adrenaline will kick in forcing these instincts of survival. When it comes down to it when SHTF you either flee or fight. In the situation at hand if you can get away safely to a safe place then take it before you are caught in a bad situation, if it comes down to it and you have to fight then you have no other choice, if you have no weapons to defend yourself and your able, you do still have your mitts, elbows, knees and feet, hopefully whoever you're fighting doesn't have a gun, in which case I would suggest you run and take cover. And remember don't be the guy taking the knife to the gun fight.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Thanks to my training, on my own, I'd do just fine... but...

Real life isn't that simple I have three kids plus a granddaughter and a wife who's a heart patient...all of whom rely on me.... Best I could do is fight my way home and try to make my stand there...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I could survive on nothing to start off with, but I wouldn't want to, nor would I need to.

Why?

Because bugging out isn't the ideal option when SHTF. Sure, you (and your family) may be safe for the time being, but you would be alone against the world.

The small community I live in has already proven that it is sustainable and tight-knit in emergencies. We have pulled together as an entire community when left without electricity, water, sewer or food for a two week span. We have enough community gardens maintained by the citizens to feed our entire community several times over along with plenty to spare for the next two nearest communities. When emergencies have happened, a few people bugged out, but after they saw how strong our community worked together when the chips were down, it is doubtful they will bug out the next time.

There is safety in numbers, and if one has prepared their community for when SHTF, and everyone is willing to work together to contribute knowing that everyone benefits from each others unique skillsets, then there is no benefit in bugging out.

So yes, I could bug out with just the clothes on my back and survive if I needed to, but I'd rather stand beside my community and live and thrive even in the face of adversity, then to go it alone.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

This is what I was getting at in my post above. Yet I have no Community like that, they are the type who would most likely stay in their houses or head to their nearest shelter.

Survival is a Numbers game. the Less you have, the less time you will have before a situation arises that will require more people than you have with you.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by rtcctr

Expect situation X to occur when the kids are in school and you are at work. Separating us from each other will add another level of desperation to those trying to follow a pre-arranged disaster scenario.

Think on your feet or forget it. Unless you have played out a scenario like this beforehand, you won't have an edge anyway.

The highways are already capable of be closed off, so travel by car will be impossible. So. How are you going to rendevous with your family who may be located at the four corners? You won't.

The lunacy, panic and terror of everyone around you will be your first and worst obstacle to overcome. Should you miraculously evade roadblocks and panicked citizens and government authorities, you still have no way of knowing how to locate your loved ones. This fact will cause even more panic and fear.

Anyone able to remain calm in an emergency will have a much better chance of making do with the circumstances as they present themselves.

If you haven't pre-planned. You won't have much of a chance anyway.

If you have pre-planned. You are still in danger of having your supplies stolen by roving mobs.

Situation X means that full-blown crisis and anarchy have broken out and nothing will keep you safe in that case.

Be able to think fast, use common sense, make do with what you happen to have and innovate. That is the only way to survive an emergency crisis situation.

Besides, how will you know which panicked citizen is your ally and which is the one that will kill you for your potted meat? You won't. Best to plan ahead for a solitary journey to survival. Don't give up hope, just be realistic. People abhor chaos and will freeze or act insanely instead of thinking calmly and clearly.

How sad to be thinking and speaking about these things.

Just be ready to trust yourself and roll with it. Bug out bags and prior planning is for the comfort of the mind, not necessarily equivalent to assured survival.

I experienced this first hand when 9/11 happened. Because everyone decided to shut down. all at once.

(I am in a suburb outside DC btw)

Not only that, the cells were shut down, so you couldn't get a hold of anybody. A friend of mine was at college, with 10k students. So needless to say, she was having a tailgate party. The last call she got was from the daycar closing saying come get your children. She then called me since I was closest.

My mother works in DC, a few blocks from the capital. She managed to call me, said they let everybody go, all buidlings shut down, INCLUDING public transportation.

It was brilliant decision making all around.

Bless the Grey Hound company, because they started carting federal employees out. My mom said she was catching the last bus, call my step father.

So then I am trying to find relatives, call coworkers in from the field, which my lovely boss dumped me with before jetting. I go to go pick up the kids and wham. Hit massive traffic.

finally I get them, after battling through hours of traffic. I have to break into my friends apt. adn wait for everyone to gather.

finally, I heard from my mother, who ended up in Pennsylvania, 12 hours later.

Who called from a coworkers house.

So I have experienced first hand, that in the event of an emergency, things can get pretty hairy.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Your two miles from your home in A Urban Environment and Sitx breaks out ??????
????????????
???????????????????
????????????????????????????

Which one ?
What hell is sitx ? I never heard that before !!!!
Define it for me ?

OMG should I eat this ? Any know what that is ?

Who needs clothes I'm just going to take them off,people will stay away from me.

Yeah you know what ...I'm going to A coffee shop grab a newspaper.
If cells are still working I'm going to call some friends and ask them to go for coffee.
Then were going for dinner and movie.
Then I'm going to go for stroll ,then go home and watch X-files.

Read this first next time please.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join