It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Myths Within Islam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Hello again Dark Ghost!

As to your first question (about the Mahdi), I'll first have to admit freely that I'm not an expert in it, mostly because the major scripture of Islam (as encapsulated by the Quran and Authentic Hadith) has very little to say about it. The Quran says nothing at all, and as for the authentic Hadith, out of the major collections, there is no reference to Al-Mahdi in Sahih Bukhari.

In the Sahih Muslim collection of Hadith, I can only find 1 in relation to the Mahdi, which basically says that he'll be in the end times, and will distribute his wealth freely.

In the Sunan Abu-Dawud collection, there are a couple that all basically say the same thing: That a man (not actually specifically labelled 'Al-Mahdi') will come who will be from the family of Muhammad (and will share his name), who will rule the arabs, and who will bring equity and justice as before there had been tyranny and oppression.

Once again, I stress, I'm not a hadith scholar either, so I can make no claims as to the authenticity or the chain of narration of these hadith. I do not have a complete collection with me at the moment, so all I'm giving you is stuff gleaned off the collections on the internet.

Shi'a doctrine has many more hadith about Al-Mahdi, and he is figured much more in their chronology of the end-times, but I apologise, as I do not know them. I am sure some Sh'ia person could help you there (are there any on ATS)?

As for a better explanation of Surah 28, perhaps it can be worded thusly:
"to show Pharaoh (the King) and Haman (the Chief Adviser and High Priest) and their troops what they feared from the Israelites (rebellion)."

As for your final question, I dunno about "inferior". The very fact that Jesus has this duty (along with so many of the miracles he was blessed to perform) seems to show that he is certainly not inferior. Each prophet/messenger had a duty. Muhammad (PBUH) died after completing his. The prophets before that were mostly sent to deal with their own people, Muhammad is considered the "final" or the "seal of the prophets" because the final message was universal.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by babloyi]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thank for your very considered and reasoned replies. It really is a pleasure to be able to discuss these issues without resorting to name-calling and trying to derail the topic at hand. It is also important to remember that just as there is no "common Christian" there is no "common Muslim". Each religion has its denominations and in-fighting to some extent. There are also likely to be distortions and variations to God's original word in these denominations. None of us living today on Earth today can directly confirm any of current religious teachings as factual or true. I guess it comes down to faith.

As for my next question, please do not take this as a jibe, but I really am curious as to why followers of Islam do not accompany Jesus' name with the standard PBUH (peace be upon him) that Muhammad's name seems to always have attached? I understand that it is a sign of respect for Muhammad, but does not Jesus deserve the same honour and respect? This is another reason why I find it hard to believe that Islam considers Jesus as the Messiah. As you have mentioned, Islamic holy texts do generally speak highly and consider Jesus to be an important figure. These are the sorts of things that do not add up though, and it does not seem that they can be explained easily.

I also want to note that it is teachings contained within the Hadith that draw some of the most potent criticisms of Islam. Similarly, in Judaism it is teachings within the Talmud that draw perhaps the most heated criticism against Judaism. While I am not knowledgeable in either of those two, I find a striking similarity between some of the criticisms I have read when comparing each with the original scripture found in the Holy book within each religion (Islam's Quaran, Judaism's Torah). People generally seem to imply that both have been distorted for negative reasons and the truth and dangers that have resulted have been swept under the rug and hidden from the majority.

[edit on 20/10/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahah....

I gotta say, you caught me. I don't generally put (PBUH) next to even Muhammad generally, especially when typing in text here (you can check my previous posts here on ATS on the subject). I'm lazy in that way, I guess I should be more consistent. I've just realised that there is a unicode for this: ﷺ. Maybe I should start using that?

You are right in that (PBUH) should be added to all the prophets. Me being lazy was just me being lazy. I have no excuse, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

As for the hadith, you are right. There are many distorted hadith. and there are many inauthentic ones. Muslims are lucky in that over the course of the millinea, the blatantly wrong ones have been caught out. Personally, for myself, when I find a hadith, I first check if they're in the major collections, then I search the hadith and narrators on the internet (yay technology) and then if that is okay, if I don't see anything that is blatantly contradictory to the Quran, I accept it on face value.
This is, of course, only in reference to the Hadith. Stuff like Tabari I generally don't consider part of the Islamic scripture, because they have not (and cannot) be validated.

<< 1   >>

join